Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What time is the debate on?

Quote Originally Posted by Pac2566 View Post
    not sure how anyone could watch that thumping and proclaim Romney won. Strategy or not he was acquiescing on just about every major point.

His cries of being attacked by Obama were laughable considering the way he's conducted himself in prior debates.

If you want a snarky punk and jacka$$, maybe Obama won. I want more than a smart punk frat type boy like Obama. A little class perhaps? Obama is a pompous buffoon. Obama and Biden - Perfect Together.

BTW, there are more bayonets now than in 1916. Not much of a standing army then Mr. Dumba$$ president.
    And actually Mr. Stupid President, the Army still has horses and Special Forces are trained to use them. And did IN COMBAT in Afghanistan. Perhaps Obama forget or was coked up at that time.
    We once had 100 aircraft carriers (the presdeint spoke of that). We now how 11 with one and maybe 2 to be retired.
    We have fewer subs than just 20 years ago.
    We have fewer nukes.
    We have fewer tanks.
    We have the least amount of aircraft since the founding of the Air Force.
    Obama say things to occupy space and time. He is inaccurate and a liar.

OK I didn't have time to read through all of the commentary here but here is my take. First of all I loved this debate. Obama was playing the attack dog using cheesy pre-prepared zingers made him look small and angry. For anyone tuning in they would have thought Romney was the president and Obama was the challenger.

Romney had three goals in this debate. First he had to counter the narrative that he was a warmongering Bush clone. I thought he succeeded big time there. Next show that he has a grasp of the issues. Again Romney was successful there.

Romney hit Obama on a few major points including the apology tour. I thought one of the moments of the night is where he emphasized that Obama toured the Middle East apologizing for Americas past behavior but he notably skipped Israel. And he discussed the signal that the snub of Israel sent to our enemies in the region. Great moment.

Another was Obama lied about Romney's position on the auto companies and Romney called him out on it. That correction needed to be put out there. People in Ohio and Michigan that were watching now know that the narrative put out by Obama regarding Romney's stance on the auto bailout was not true.

Finally Romney needed to turn things back to the economy. I thought the discussion about how our influence and power around the world is tied to the strength of our economy was spot on.

Red meat republicans were dissapointed that Romney did not go on the attack. They thought Obama was vulnerable on Libya, Fast and Furious, and national security issues. It was clear watching that Romney deliberately chose not to attack there. It seems to be that Obama would have been well prepared to counter those attacks and it was almost a rope a dope situation. Obama came ready to attack and Romney went in trying to look sober and presidential.

Who won? In my eyes Romney won it hands down. He attacked where he needed to and didn't go overboard on criticism of many foreign policy issues that most democrats and republicans can generally agree with.

CBS had a group of Ohio undecideds and after the debate 6 said they were now decided for Romney and 2 went for Obama.

Worst case this debate changed nothing and the race remains razor tight. I think that Romney will actually get a bump from this debate and solidify his 2-4 point lead nationally. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    OK I didn't have time to read through all of the commentary here but here is my take. First of all I loved this debate. Obama was playing the attack dog using cheesy pre-prepared zingers made him look small and angry. For anyone tuning in they would have thought Romney was the president and Obama was the challenger.

Romney had three goals in this debate. First he had to counter the narrative that he was a warmongering Bush clone. I thought he succeeded big time there. Next show that he has a grasp of the issues. Again Romney was successful there.

Romney hit Obama on a few major points including the apology tour. I thought one of the moments of the night is where he emphasized that Obama toured the Middle East apologizing for Americas past behavior but he notably skipped Israel. And he discussed the signal that the snub of Israel sent to our enemies in the region. Great moment.

Another was Obama lied about Romney's position on the auto companies and Romney called him out on it. That correction needed to be put out there. People in Ohio and Michigan that were watching now know that the narrative put out by Obama regarding Romney's stance on the auto bailout was not true.

Finally Romney needed to turn things back to the economy. I thought the discussion about how our influence and power around the world is tied to the strength of our economy was spot on.

Red meat republicans were dissapointed that Romney did not go on the attack. They thought Obama was vulnerable on Libya, Fast and Furious, and national security issues. It was clear watching that Romney deliberately chose not to attack there. It seems to be that Obama would have been well prepared to counter those attacks and it was almost a rope a dope situation. Obama came ready to attack and Romney went in trying to look sober and presidential.

Who won? In my eyes Romney won it hands down. He attacked where he needed to and didn't go overboard on criticism of many foreign policy issues that most democrats and republicans can generally agree with.

CBS had a group of Ohio undecideds and after the debate 6 said they were now decided for Romney and 2 went for Obama.

Worst case this debate changed nothing and the race remains razor tight. I think that Romney will actually get a bump from this debate and solidify his 2-4 point lead nationally. Time will tell.
    I pretty much agree. I was shocked most of the media and polling thought that Obama got the better of the debate. Even more so that a lot of the media seemed to think it was more decisive than the second debate where i believe Obama clearly won.

I also thought Romney did a great job explaining why he called Russia the greatest Geopolitical threat. Most of the voters don't understand what geopolitical means, but when he contrasted it with a security threat hopefully some lightbulbs went off.

I would've liked to see a little more about Benghazi, but i don't believe the news cycle is entirely done with it yet, it may have been best left alone. The facts there are downright scary. Either the administration showed gross incompetence, or willfully misled people, take your pick.

I hear a lot about Romney going after undecided voters and Obama trying to ignite the base. I think people are underestimating the affect Romney's debate performances are going to have on convincing voters that traditionally vote republican to go to the polls. I consider myself a libertarian. Didn't plan on voting in this election up until the first debate. I will vote for Romney now. I disagree with him on a lot of things, but now believe he is more than slightly better than Obama, which is enough for me. Also, i actually like the guy. Which is a feat considering how much i despised him during the republican primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    BTW, there are more bayonets now than in 1916. Not much of a standing army then Mr. Dumba$$ president.
    And actually Mr. Stupid President, the Army still has horses and Special Forces are trained to use them. And did IN COMBAT in Afghanistan. Perhaps Obama forget or was coked up at that time.
    We once had 100 aircraft carriers (the presdeint spoke of that). We now how 11 with one and maybe 2 to be retired.
    We have fewer subs than just 20 years ago.
    We have fewer nukes.
    We have fewer tanks.
    We have the least amount of aircraft since the founding of the Air Force.
    Obama say things to occupy space and time. He is inaccurate and a liar.
    I also thought the bayonet statement was ridiculous. Obama came off looking like he knew less about our military than Romney did. And his promise that the sequester which he signed into law would definitely "not happen", was confusing and strange.
    Last edited by Axil; 10-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.

I think what's hurt the GOP in the past is their insane, hard right stance on a lot of social issues more Americans cared about when everyone was doing well and the economy was steady. The problem is, no one really cares right now, and Romney is basically a moderate playing part of the republican. The Dems don't have anything tangible to hang onto imo.

The economy is still bad, the deficit has almost doubled, more people on welfare seemed entitled. Whether he holds up to it or not you have an economist, business man who's bright with a strong business record and background shouting, "Reform, REFORM". Obama can only say, "more of this."

Like it or not on social issues and foreign policy it's really hard to tell them apart. What else is there for the American independent to go on? Other than Obama is a smoother talker with a quicker wit...but let's be honest...this is America, how many times did we hear about how much a lot of Americans like Bush Jr's dumbed down speech impediment b/c they felt they could identify with him....lol, as completely scary retarded a notion but supposedly with some truth to it. Not sure what the average American thought of Obama last night. I thought he was great and looked like a strong leader but will some or most think elitist and smarmy? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I pretty much agree. I was shocked most of the media and polling thought that Obama got the better of the debate. Even more so that a lot of the media seemed to think it was more decisive than the second debate where i believe Obama clearly won.

I also thought Romney did a great job explaining why he called Russia the greatest Geopolitical threat. Most of the voters don't understand what geopolitical means, but when he contrasted it with a security threat hopefully some lightbulbs went off.

I would've liked to see a little more about Benghazi, but i don't believe the news cycle is entirely done with it yet, it may have been best left alone. The facts there are downright scary. Either the administration showed gross incompetence, or willfully misled people, take your pick.

I hear a lot about Romney going after undecided voters and Obama trying to ignite the base. I think people are underestimating the affect Romney's debate performances are going to have on convincing voters that traditionally vote republican to go to the polls. I consider myself a libertarian. Didn't plan on voting in this election up until the first debate. I will vote for Romney now. I disagree with him on a lot of things, but now believe he is more than slightly better than Obama, which is enough for me. Also, i actually like the guy. Which is a feat considering how much i despised him during the republican primaries.

I also thought the bayonet statement was ridiculous. Obama came off looking like he knew less about our military than Romney did. And his promise that the sequester which he signed into law would definitely "not happen", was confusing and strange.
    Honestly I don't buy the hype of who won or lost based on snap polls. I think people, particularly undecideds and on the fence types actually watch the debates and look at the positions taken by the candidates. Obama for the second time in a row basically presented no vision whatsoever for the future. Go back and watch and look for when Obama says "now". Every answer was presented in the same format. Starts with some quick acknowledgement of the question, possibly a defense of his previous actions then he asys "now, my opponent:" and follows with a pre-prepared attack line. It looked petty and desperate to anyone that was truly paying attention to it. 2nd debate featured the same strategy. I think Obama has missed the opportunity to present a vision for the next 4 years. The entirety of his economic plan is "raising taxes a bit on the rich" to fund hiring more teachers.

There has been zero discussion of entitlement reform or spending cuts. No plan presented for a balanced budget. No plan that can shake the country out of this economic malaise. They chose to attack rather then present a vision. I think that is the reason why momentum is at Romney's back right now.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    If you want a snarky punk and jacka$$, maybe Obama won. I want more than a smart punk frat type boy like Obama. A little class perhaps? Obama is a pompous buffoon. Obama and Biden - Perfect Together.
    This is what loses me every time. I sat and watched Romney interrupt both the moderators and president on multiple occasions throughout the 3 debates. When he scolded the obama - telling him he'll get his turn - I thought it showed a complete lack of class. Whether or not he respects Obama he should respect the fact he's the president.

Obama decided to retalliate with similar attacks and Romney tried to play victim last night. It was classic case of a bully getting smacked in the mouth.

This is what loses me every time. I sat and watched Romney interrupt both the moderators and president on multiple occasions throughout the 3 debates. When he scolded the obama - telling him he'll get his turn - I thought it showed a complete lack of class. Whether or not he respects Obama he should respect the fact he's the president.

Obama decided to retalliate with similar attacks and Romney tried to play victim last night. It was classic case of a bully getting smacked in the mouth.
    I can see your point.

I'm slaying you in the Sanchez Sucks thread btw.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It was classic case of a bully getting smacked in the mouth.
    No it wasn't. They had been interrupting each other all the time throughout each debate. The fact that you viewed a long-suffering Obama at last triumphing over his bully belies your own bias.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Which would explain why Romney was agreeing with Obama most of the night . . .
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    I can see your point.

I'm slaying you in the Sanchez Sucks thread btw.
    haha I'm killing you in that thing.. you're only half right - I'm arguing just to argue but I do actually believe what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    No it wasn't. They had been interrupting each other all the time throughout each debate. The fact that you viewed a long-suffering Obama at last triumphing over his bully belies your own bias.
    I wasn't saying it was anything quite that dramatic. I watched each debate in it's entirety and imo Obama was smarter, stronger, and more trustworthy.

Why did it take Romney a few weeks to say his 47% line was a mistake? And why was it immediately after a debate in which he was universally viewed as the winner. Looked like someone trying to capitalize on his new found success.

If he was really sorry about his gaffe he would have apologized right when it came out.

The guy is a snake oil salesman.

All Pro
    B. Hussein brought a bayonet to a gunfight (actually all 3) and it showed.

Only the usual suspects - moronic lib pukes all - fail to grasp and see through the multitude of 0 lies.

Jets Insider VIP
    haha I'm killing you in that thing.. you're only half right - I'm arguing just to argue but I do actually believe what I'm saying.
    you should be banned for bringing the Pfail Strip into Politics.

(never thought I'd post that )

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    you should be banned for bringing the Pfail Strip into Politics.

(never thought I'd post that )
    Actually we're arguing on a different Jet site altogether.. I don't post much here anymore. I pop in from time to time to see what's what.

So you hate Obama, right? Would you say that Romney won last night in a landslide? Was it close?

I wasn't saying it was anything quite that dramatic. I watched each debate in it's entirety and imo Obama was smarter, stronger, and more trustworthy.

Why did it take Romney a few weeks to say his 47% line was a mistake? And why was it immediately after a debate in which he was universally viewed as the winner. Looked like someone trying to capitalize on his new found success.

If he was really sorry about his gaffe he would have apologized right when it came out.

Sorry but your post, just the claim that Romney looked like the attacker in Debate 3, is so far from reality that it makes your partisan hackery clear. Obama came in and attacked non stop mostly with cheesy and condecending one liners about battleship board games and Bayonnets. Then he called the discussion of his apology tour in the ME a grand whopper of a lie? Really? Romney tore him a new one with his substantive response there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_rE3NZr_oMo

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Like I said, when you painted Romney as a bully who needed a good smacking, you revealed your emotional bias.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Sorry but your post, just the claim that Romney looked like the attacker in Debate 3, is so far from reality that it makes your partisan hackery clear. Obama came in and attacked non stop mostly with cheesy and condecending one liners about battleship board games and Bayonnets. Then he called the discussion of his apology tour in the ME a grand whopper of a lie? Really? Romney tore him a new one with his substantive response there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_rE3NZr_oMo
    I never said Mitt was the aggressor in the 3rd debate. He was meek and agreeable.

I watched quite a bit of post debate talk on various channels. MSNBC predictably had Obama eviscerating Mitt but every other channel also had Obama winning. I'm just saying I'm not sure how you can watch that last night and think Mitt won.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Like I said, when you painted Romney as a bully who needed a good smacking, you revealed your emotional bias.
    Guilty. Doesn't make it any less true though.

What the f*ck does that make Obama, the captain of a snake oil tanker?

You're watching debate after debate and thinking Obama is great - quite divergent from polling.

Obama has been trying to rattle Romney and when he can't it comes across as something less than presidential - and how fitting is that?

I'm just saying I'm not sure how you can watch that last night and think Mitt won.
    It depends on your definition of "won".

I've heard more than one liberal commentator state how Obama won, but it wouldn't be enough to make a real difference in the polls. Then what did he really win? If Romney was "playing prevent", then you could argue he achieved his goal -- not making any big blunders for Obama to jump on over the next two weeks.

It's obvious conservatives wanted him to be WAY more aggressive in attacking what appear to be major FP flaws on Obama's record. He didn't, so people say he lost. But if he's able to maintain the momentum he's been building over the past few weeks, no one's gonna care who "looked more presidential" on Oct. 22nd . . .