Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How the Jets stalled the Pats' offense/ ESPN article.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that because the offense was previously invested in heavily, that it might be the defense that needed some help following that?
    Sure, talk to me about 2009 and 2010 and I'm somewhat in agreement.

But 2011 and 2012? Band-Aid city. I can't believe we left training camp with this rag-tag group of WR's and RB's and an incredible lack of depth.

In Mark's first two seasons he had:

Edwards, Cotchery, Holmes. Tomlinson, Greene (good version). Keller.

In Mark's last two seasons he had:

Burress/Hill, Kerley, Holmes. McKnight, Greene (slow version). Keller (sometimes).

We needed more balance. We ignored the offense for 4 seasons, grabbing some aging vets with 50% left in the tank, drafting a bunch of turd that contributes nothing.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Sure, talk to me about 2009 and 2010 and I'm somewhat in agreement.

But 2011 and 2012? Band-Aid city. I can't believe we left training camp with this rag-tag group of WR's and RB's and an incredible lack of depth.

In Mark's first two seasons he had:

Edwards, Cotchery, Holmes. Tomlinson, Greene (good version). Keller.

In Mark's last two seasons he had:

Burress/Hill, Kerley, Holmes. McKnight, Greene (slow version). Keller (sometimes).

We needed more balance. We ignored the offense for 4 seasons, grabbing some aging vets with 50% left in the tank, drafting a bunch of turd that contributes nothing.

SAR I
    2009- Sanchez, Greene, Slauson; Bart Scott, Leonhard

2010- Edwards (traded these picks for him in 2009), Holmes, LT, Ducasse (investment, tho you could argue as to the quality); Wilson, Justin Taylor, Pryce (talk about 50% types)

2011- Plax/Mason (agree with you here that they were not wise choices and more for name); Wilk/Ellis to replace an aging DL, Cromartie (acquired in 2010, picks in this draft tho)- can't disagree with some major investment in DL

2012- Hill; Coples, Davis, Landry, Bell

I mainly mentioned just Rd 1-3 cause I think that is the major sign of investment in sides of the ball as far as higher guarantee of quality. In 2009 I put Slauson just illustrate that the entire draft was offense. I would say the most glaring error was in 2012 the over investment in defense and the failure to cut Hunter. Also I'd have let Cro walk, skip the Aso chase that led to restructures, and kept Edwards to help maintain continuity on offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess its hopeless....rationality is dead here.

Last point:
    How is it that those blaming the defense for letting the Pats march down the field and tie the game are not giving blame for the cause of that: Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine. Did the Jets defense itself call for a ridiculous prevent defense and a three man rush, something which Tom Brady salivates over?

If you want to say the defense lost the game because of its HC and DC playing it WAY too safe, that's fine. But to blame the defense after special teams gave up 7 points, the offense gave up 2 and left AT LEAST 14 points on the board thanks to turnovers, drops, bad play calling etc... is just down-right ridiculous.