Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuanna Legalization

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Whoa, who said anything about mandating substance abuse treatment? Besides we're already paying billions for enforcement and incarceration for non-violent possession charges.
    1.) Yep, yep. Seen a bunch of press stating that eliminating the things you've listed would easily handle treatment, but nobody was asking for it....

2.) You'll never get the privatized prisons which help to keep people incarcerated due to its business, to ever allow for legal pot, neither will Alcohol, and tobacco companies, and let's not forget all the anti-anxiety meds on the market, those corporations have a lot to do with what stays illegal and legal.

All Pro
    Give me a break, KitKat

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    You'll never get the privatized prisons which help to keep people incarcerated due to its business, to ever allow for legal pot, neither will Alcohol, and tobacco companies, and let's not forget all the anti-anxiety meds on the market, those corporations have a lot to do with what stays illegal and legal.
    On the federal level, you are correct, and this is exactly why we are trying to amend the state constitution in Colorado. Baby steps. I am confident that marijuana will be legalized nationally within my lifetime, but there are many big business hurdles to overcome.

In Colorado where medical marijuana is already legal, dispensary shops outnumber Starbucks. It's widely accessible to anyone who wants it, and guess what, the sky is not falling. Time to move past the outdated fears, and put some common sense policies into effect such as limiting purchase quantities, age requirements, generating revenue for the state, etc.

The amendment is currently polling just above 50%, which is very encouraging, but we'll see what happens on election day.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Actually, it's something that should be handled by the states.

Do you know how many resources are wasted in enforcing marijuana laws and running anti-drug campaigns? This bureaucracy you speak of would pale in comparison.

It SHOULD be left up to the states, but you just know the federal government would be licking its chops at the prospect of all the tax revenue if enough states were on board. A state by state model, with different statutes and regulations, would never be feasible. So the federal government takes over, but first studies have to be one, task forces assembled, speeches on the Hill, legislators clamoring for their districts to gain federal dispensaries... it would be a bureaucratic nightmare.

This is a classic straw man argument, but in my opinion, yes they should be legalized. The demand and accessibility are relatively high regardless of the substances being illegal. Eliminating the manufactured black market will bring crime rates down dramatically. Drug addictions should be treated as medical conditions not crimes.

Didn't we learn anything from Prohibition and the failed War on Drugs?
    It's not a straw man, it's the truth. Heroin and cocaine is a burgeoning problem in my town. Marijuana is passé. Legalize marijuana and you still have 16 year olds in rehab trying to get off junk. You think the solution is to legalize heroin? It's not alcohol; even if it was legal you still wouldn't be able to buy it in a corner store.

Whoa, who said anything about mandating substance abuse treatment? Besides we're already paying billions for enforcement and incarceration for non-violent possession charges.
    You support healthcare for all...

Drug addicts tend to not hold jobs or insurance...

You want to legalize hard drugs...

You want addiction to hard drugs to be covered as a normal medical condition...

Don't ****ing whoa me dude... I don't know if you just didn't think through what you were saying given your past stances here or what...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    It's not a straw man, it's the truth. Heroin and cocaine is a burgeoning problem in my town. Marijuana is passé. Legalize marijuana and you still have 16 year olds in rehab trying to get off junk. You think the solution is to legalize heroin? It's not alcohol; even if it was legal you still wouldn't be able to buy it in a corner store.
    It is a straw man, the substances have absolutely nothing in common other than being categorized as illegal drugs.

I don't expect the position to be popular, but it is ironic that the supposed party of personal freedom and small government has the exact opposite stance on recreational drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    You support healthcare for all...
    Not quite.

Drug addicts tend to not hold jobs or insurance...
    There are millions of marijuana users who holds jobs and have medical insurance.

You want to legalize hard drugs...
    It will never happen, but that is my position on principal. Off topic discussion though.

You want addiction to hard drugs to be covered as a normal medical condition...
    No, I want possession and use not to be treated as a crime, and addiction to be categorized as a medical condition like alcoholism. This has nothing to do with insurance.

Don't ****ing whoa me dude... I don't know if you just didn't think through what you were saying given your past stances here or what...
    Yes, it's been thought through and quite honestly, I don't think you have a good grasp of my stances or views. This isn't the first time you've miscategorized me.

Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    if your on the fence with assisted suicide watch the documentary "How to Die in Oregon" It is very hard to watch but informative about the issue.
    Can you give me an idea on what its about.

I actually am on the fence. I am for it in theory, but some say the Mass version doesn't have enough safeguards in place.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Can you give me an idea on what its about.

I actually am on the fence. I am for it in theory, but some say the Mass version doesn't have enough safeguards in place.
    It works in Washington which is modeled after Oregon. It allows people to say goodbye to their family on their own terms.

As long as multiple medical opinions are required, I would consider it to be a fair law.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Just something else to regulate, tax, and drown in the morass of a federal bureaucracy.

Meanwhile, in my quiet home town, blow and heroin are the biggest problems. Weed is a thing of the past. You want to legalize that **** too? After all, the war on drugs isn't working.
    Were you channeling you grandfather when you wrote this?

What kind of “problems” is your hometown having?

Street walkers?

Smash and grab theft?

Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    It works in Washington which is modeled after Oregon. It allows people to say goodbye to their family on their own terms.

As long as multiple medical opinions are required, I would consider it to be a fair law.
    Thanks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Were you channeling you grandfather when you wrote this?

What kind of “problems” is your hometown having?

Street walkers?

Smash and grab theft?
    Maybe you missed the part in that post where I mentioned the heroin and cocaine problem. They're huge in my local high school.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    1.) Yep, yep. Seen a bunch of press stating that eliminating the things you've listed would easily handle treatment, but nobody was asking for it....

2.) You'll never get the privatized prisons which help to keep people incarcerated due to its business, to ever allow for legal pot, neither will Alcohol, and tobacco companies, and let's not forget all the anti-anxiety meds on the market, those corporations have a lot to do with what stays illegal and legal.
    I posted an article on here months ago that had the results of a poll. The upshot was the lion share of the opposition to legalization came from people over 65 years of age.

Legalization will come. 100 years from now folks will giggle about pot being illegal.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=235759

All League
    Maybe you missed the part in that post where I mentioned the heroin and cocaine problem. They're huge in my local high school.
    Are you still in high school?

What is the problem?

Are teenage girls turning tricks down at the local dive bar?

Has your car been broken into?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Are you still in high school?

What is the problem?

Are teenage girls turning tricks down at the local dive bar?

Has your car been broken into?
    Dude, what exactly is your point? Just because I haven't OD'd on heroin it's not a problem? It's happening all over my town. WTF is your problem?

Hall Of Fame
    Huge opiate problems on Long Island. So bad that there are shortages of OxyContin. Just ask your local pusher.

It is a straw man, the substances have absolutely nothing in common other than being categorized as illegal drugs.

I don't expect the position to be popular, but it is ironic that the supposed party of personal freedom and small government has the exact opposite stance on recreational drug use.

Not quite.

There are millions of marijuana users who holds jobs and have medical insurance.

It will never happen, but that is my position on principal. Off topic discussion though.

No, I want possession and use not to be treated as a crime, and addiction to be categorized as a medical condition like alcoholism. This has nothing to do with insurance.

Yes, it's been thought through and quite honestly, I don't think you have a good grasp of my stances or views. This isn't the first time you've miscategorized me.
    Have to give a general supportive +1 to Para here.

With that said, I know better than to even bother on this topic. Predictable replies and predictable ignorance and predictable straw men.......all predictable. /Pass

All League
    Dude, what exactly is your point? Just because I haven't OD'd on heroin it's not a problem? It's happening all over my town. WTF is your problem?
    WHAT IS HAPPENING ALL OVER YOUR TOWN?

You say there is a 'problem'. I want to know your definition of a drug problem. Kids are doing drugs. Ok, that is not new. I’m an old fart and it went on in my high school. I hypothetically maybe might have acted as an undercover agent who studied these activities first hand. Yeah that’s the ticket.

My 'problem' is that your posts sound gossipy and uninformed.

What is a drug problem iu suburban (wealthy?) NJ shore town?
    Are kids, you know showing up late to class?
    Talking back to their parents?
    Being rude to the lunch lady?

or is it creating truly bad behavior:
    robbing houses?
    or stealing cars?
    or mugging old people?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Huge opiate problems on Long Island. So bad that there are shortages of OxyContin. Just ask your local pusher.
    I've read that many folks get hooked on the Oxy (via scripts) and then move to heroin because it is a lot cheaper.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

WHAT IS HAPPENING ALL OVER YOUR TOWN?

You say there is a 'problem'. I want to know your definition of a drug problem. Kids are doing drugs. Ok, that is not new. I’m an old fart and it went on in my high school. I hypothetically maybe might have acted as an undercover agent who studied these activities first hand. Yeah that’s the ticket.

My 'problem' is that your posts sound gossipy and uninformed.

What is a drug problem iu suburban (wealthy?) NJ shore town?
    Are kids, you know showing up late to class?
    Talking back to their parents?
    Being rude to the lunch lady?

or is it creating truly bad behavior:
    robbing houses?
    or stealing cars?
    or mugging old people?

Car and motorcycle thefts. Increased gang activity. Kids in high school showing up in rehab or the morgue.

Go to bed, you grouchy old bastard.

All League
    Car and motorcycle thefts. Increased gang activity. Kids in high school showing up in rehab or the morgue.

Go to bed, you grouchy old bastard.

Ouch!

Man the truth effing hurts