Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 139

Thread: Marijuanna Legalization

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    10,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Maybe you missed the part in that post where I mentioned the heroin and cocaine problem. They're huge in my local high school.
    Is leaving the laws for marijuana going to make kids stop experimenting? Of course not

  2. #42
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Car and motorcycle thefts. Increased gang activity. Kids in high school showing up in rehab or the morgue.

    Go to bed, you grouchy old bastard.
    Psst, he's not that old. Don't let his new schtick fool you.

    With that said, no offense, but I doubt you'd know the right end of a bowl to smoke from, much less what "drug use" is going to your community. You sound like every other (R) values-voter, i.e. ignorant and scared of the "Druggies" you've never actually met or interacted with, but heard alot about on 60 minutes.

    Be honest, in High School the hardest thing you ever did was Grape Nehi, right Radar O"Righty?

  3. #43
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Psst, he's not that old. Don't let his new schtick fool you.

    With that said, no offense, but I doubt you'd know the right end of a bowl to smoke from, much less what "drug use" is going to your community. You sound like every other (R) values-voter, i.e. ignorant and scared of the "Druggies" you've never actually met or interacted with, but heard alot about on 60 minutes.

    Be honest, in High School the hardest thing you ever did was Grape Nehi, right Radar O"Righty?
    That's pretty ignorant. Just because I chose a certain lifestyle doesn't mean I have my head in the sand, and it doesn't mean I don't know or associate with people who chose other paths in life.

    You ****ing guys are feisty tonight.

  4. #44
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    That's pretty ignorant. Just because I chose a certain lifestyle doesn't mean I have my head in the sand, and it doesn't mean I don't know or associate with people who chose other paths in life.

    You ****ing guys are feisty tonight.
    lol, exactly like I thought.

    It's not fiesty, inexperienced ignorance is just pretty to spot.

    I have no problem with whatever lol-strait-edge wanna-be-politican lifestyle you choose Tricky Ricky. To each their own, I would never tell you what you could or couldn't do with yourself.

    Unlike you, of course, who would happily do just that.

    But the fact you have no idea what you're talking about on the topic is rather obvious.

  5. #45
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    lol, exactly like I thought.

    It's not fiesty, inexperienced ignorance is just pretty to spot.

    I have no problem with whatever lol-strait-edge wanna-be-politican lifestyle you choose Tricky Ricky. To each their own, I would never tell you what you could or couldn't do with yourself.

    Unlike you, of course, who would happily do just that.

    But the fact you have no idea what you're talking about on the topic is rather obvious.
    Again, how do you know I have no idea what I'm talking about? I feel like I'm talking to some wannabe "cool kid" at the lunchtable.

  6. #46
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Again, how do you know I have no idea what I'm talking about?
    Lol, Tricky Ricky, just lol.

  7. #47
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Lol, Tricky Ricky, just lol.
    "Tricky Ricky"?

  8. #48
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Thanks.
    very hard to watch though

  9. #49
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Are you still in high school?

    What is the problem?

    Are teenage girls turning tricks down at the local dive bar?

    Has your car been broken into?
    I can't put my finger on what it is about you...

    Do you live in a shed?

    Maybe you live in a drawer?

    It's possible you've experienced neglect at the hands of your owner.

    The only thing I know for sure?

    You're a tool.

  10. #50
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    lol, exactly like I thought.

    It's not fiesty, inexperienced ignorance is just pretty to spot.

    I have no problem with whatever lol-strait-edge wanna-be-politican lifestyle you choose Tricky Ricky. To each their own, I would never tell you what you could or couldn't do with yourself.

    Unlike you, of course, who would happily do just that.

    But the fact you have no idea what you're talking about on the topic is rather obvious.
    Wow

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Just something else to regulate, tax, and drown in the morass of a federal bureaucracy.

    Meanwhile, in my quiet home town, blow and heroin are the biggest problems. Weed is a thing of the past. You want to legalize that **** too? After all, the war on drugs isn't working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    It's not a straw man, it's the truth. Heroin and cocaine is a burgeoning problem in my town. Marijuana is passé. Legalize marijuana and you still have 16 year olds in rehab trying to get off junk. You think the solution is to legalize heroin? It's not alcohol; even if it was legal you still wouldn't be able to buy it in a corner store.
    Why do you try to change the subject to heroin & cocaine? It's not the same thing. If you weren't so naive, you'd understand.

    Anyway, I think someone saying that "weed is a thing of the past" is a pretty good indicator of said person being well out of touch with modern society.

  12. #52
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    Why do you try to change the subject to heroin & cocaine? It's not the same thing. If you weren't so naive, you'd understand.

    Anyway, I think someone saying that "weed is a thing of the past" is a pretty good indicator of said person being well out of touch with modern society.
    Exactly.

  13. #53
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    Why do you try to change the subject to heroin & cocaine? It's not the same thing. If you weren't so naive, you'd understand.

    Anyway, I think someone saying that "weed is a thing of the past" is a pretty good indicator of said person being well out of touch with modern society.
    What is the true crux of the argument? That the war on drugs has failed. That's true, I agree completely. So the solution presented is to legalize marijuana. Ok fine, that's great. People who need it for medical reasons can get it easily, and those who enjoy it recreationally can do so without fear of legal prosecution -- or social persecution.

    Does that mean the war on drugs has ended, and everything is A-Ok? Uh, no.

    High schoolers smoking weed is predictable and not even socially taboo anymore. Thus, my comment that its a thing of the past. An emerging problem, from what I've seen (if you can believe a lame, straight edge white Urkel like myself even knows what drugs are) isn't marijuana, it's much harder stuff. So really, we still have the same problem except legalization isn't the answer.

    The laws against marijuana use is a casualty of a much larger problem, that's my point. I don't know where this undue condescension is coming from, that I'm somehow naive and I don't know what taking about. It's a faulty argumentative tactic that makes the person who uses feel better about themselves. Now THAT'S lame.

  14. #54
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

    The laws against marijuana use is a casualty of a much larger problem, that's my point. I don't know where this undue condescension is coming from, that I'm somehow naive and I don't know what taking about. It's a faulty argumentative tactic that makes the person who uses feel better about themselves. Now THAT'S lame.
    Except it's not. Marijuana was outlawed before some of the harder stuff even existed. Putting Marijuana in the same category as heroine, meth, etc obscures the real differences between them.

    My son came home with a health paper last year (he was in third grade), it listed all the dangerous drugs he needed to learn about. I got a simaler paper when i was in school. Mine had Marijuana, cocaine, heroine, and some other stuff on it. They threw cigarette's on there too, which i always thought was kind of odd. Now my son's contained marijuana, cocaine, heroine, meth, tobacco alcohol and caffeine.

    Caffeine was listed right next to cocaine and meth as a stimulant that can cause heart attacks and other terrible things. Alcohol was right there next to heroine. The message this sends to young children is that if they're going to drink a soda, they may as well try cocaine. It's all the same stuff. In the same sense Marijuana is a gateway drug because the government made it a gateway drug by associating it with all the "hard drugs" . To this day the head of the FDA will tell you with a straight face it's as bad meth.

    I believe that the legalization of Marijuana would actually decrease the usage of other drugs. That's apart from all the revenue and reduction in violence you're guaranteed to receive. Will there still be issues with other drugs? Sure, but let the government admit it's mistake in regards to Marijuana, let the dust clear, and address the situation we find ourselves in at that point. It may be less dire than you think.

    Oh, and feel free to respond, i don't have a problem with your credentials on the issue.

  15. #55
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Except it's not. Marijuana was outlawed before some of the harder stuff even existed. Putting Marijuana in the same category as heroine, meth, etc obscures the real differences between them.

    My son came home with a health paper last year (he was in third grade), it listed all the dangerous drugs he needed to learn about. I got a simaler paper when i was in school. Mine had Marijuana, cocaine, heroine, and some other stuff on it. They threw cigarette's on there too, which i always thought was kind of odd. Now my son's contained marijuana, cocaine, heroine, meth, tobacco alcohol and caffeine.

    Caffeine was listed right next to cocaine and meth as a stimulant that can cause heart attacks and other terrible things. Alcohol was right there next to heroine. The message this sends to young children is that if they're going to drink a soda, they may as well try cocaine. It's all the same stuff. In the same sense Marijuana is a gateway drug because the government made it a gateway drug by associating it with all the "hard drugs" . To this day the head of the FDA will tell you with a straight face it's as bad meth.

    I believe that the legalization of Marijuana would actually decrease the usage of other drugs. That's apart from all the revenue and reduction in violence you're guaranteed to receive. Will there still be issues with other drugs? Sure, but let the government admit it's mistake in regards to Marijuana, let the dust clear, and address the situation we find ourselves in at that point. It may be less dire than you think.

    Oh, and feel free to respond, i don't have a problem with your credentials on the issue.
    Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I'm not equating marijuana with other drugs. I don't care about its historical legalities or anything like that. All I'm saying is that if you legalize it, that doesn't solve the drug problem in this country. "When the dust settles" doesn't get the hard drugs off the street.

  16. #56
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Maybe I'm not making myself clear. I'm not equating marijuana with other drugs. I don't care about its historical legalities or anything like that. All I'm saying is that if you legalize it, that doesn't solve the drug problem in this country. "When the dust settles" doesn't get the hard drugs off the street.
    I don't think it completely solves the drug problem. If you read my post though I'm asserting that legalizing Marijuana will result in less consumption of "hard drugs", and thus aid in getting them off the streets.

    *edit* And also, while you aren't equating Marijuana to "hard drugs", i believe the state's repeated failure to draw a distinction has led to increased proliferation "hard drugs".

  17. #57
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I don't think it completely solves the drug problem. If you read my post though I'm asserting that legalizing Marijuana will result in less consumption of "hard drugs", and thus aid in getting them off the streets.
    I don't believe that.

    *edit* And also, while you aren't equating Marijuana to "hard drugs", i believe the state's repeated failure to draw a distinction has led to increased proliferation "hard drugs".
    Now that I'm more inclined to agree with.

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,836
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I don't think it completely solves the drug problem. If you read my post though I'm asserting that legalizing Marijuana will result in less consumption of "hard drugs", and thus aid in getting them off the streets.
    At the risk of sounding naive, you're saying that someone who might would use coke or heroin might not use them if they had legal access to marijuana?

    Like Paulie, Im not sure I buy that.

  19. #59
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I don't believe that.



    Now that I'm more inclined to agree with.
    I find it hard to separate the two.

    If failing to draw a distinction between marijuana and heroine leads to increased consumption of heroine. How can drawing that distinction via legalization of marijuana not lead to decreased consumption of heroine.

    Please understand i'm not suggesting that heroine addicts will suddenly stop shooting up because marijuana is legal. I'm suggesting that there will be a greater barrier between Marijuana and heroine and fewer will cross that barrier, lessening Marijuana's "gateway drug" status.

  20. #60
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    At the risk of sounding naive, you're saying that someone who might would use coke or heroin might not use them if they had legal access to marijuana?

    Like Paulie, Im not sure I buy that.
    Yes and no. First of all cocaine and heroin are very different. cocaine is as functional as it is recreational. For that reason i'd throw cocaine (and possibly meth) out of the discussion.

    Now heroine, prescription painkillers, ecstasy, etc, are mostly recreational. People take them to make themselves feel better. I believe that if marijuana is on the table as a non-taboo government approved substance, then people are less likely to try the alternatives. Currently marijuana, heroine, and ecstasy are all legally the same from an end-user standpoint. I think that factors into people's decision to try them. I think it explains the "gateway drug" effect. Thus i strongly suspect that legalized Marijuana will result in less heroine users. How much is certainly debatable.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us