Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuanna Legalization

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Marijuanna Legalization

I am voting tonight since my state has gone to a all mail in system. One of the issues is legalizing and taxing marijuanna.

I am inclined to vote yes, but now the federal government says they will seize the tax collected by the state. My guess is Washington will then sue the Federal Government and congress will need to make a decision to downgrade it from a class 1 narcotic. Then amend the law to allow it to be under each states discretion.

Opinions? do you think the Feds can stop the state? will it be a big mess?

I dont smoke the stuff, but we need money for roads and schools. This is a great solution. It frees up money from the judicial budget, and corrections budget and can be a source of needed revenue.

Of course, if this passes, I will log into Etrade and buy Frito Lay, Hersheys, M&M Mars, Keebler, Ben & Jerrys, 7-11 etc. Once its legal we will have a massive influx of stoners moving here, I might as well cash in assuming the Federal situation will be resolved.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    i believe there is already a lawsuit. But i cant find a link. Part of being classified a schedule I drug is that the drug has no medicinal value. I believe that marijuana was shown to be an effective treatment for glaucoma in the 1970’s. With that evidence I’d assume medical marijuana would at least get a hearing.

There is lots of conjecture that the corrections industry is opposed to legalization. A smaller prison population equals less profit for them. Also, the alcohol industry spent a lot of money (in California) fighting legalization. I assume they feel more people getting high without fear of legal consequences equates to fewer people buying booze. A third group would be the DEA, without pot, who are they going to arrest?? And without pot they won't be able to seize speedboats and Ford Mustangs and houses and...

The real problem is that President Obama held over Michele Leonhart from the Bush administration as head of the DEA. She has stated that Marijuana is as harmful as methamphetamines and heroin and therefore she won’t reschedule the drug. She also has stated that the prohibition of alcohol in the 1920’s was a good idea. I assume President Obama kept her on to placate the right side of the political spectrum. If that was his reasoning it was in error.
    Last edited by Buster; 10-22-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    My money is on Twinkies, Doritos, and Taco Bell.

Veteran
    Wake N Bake!

All Pro
    I'm voting yes on a similar amendment in Colorado, legalize and regulate like alcohol. It's a common sense approach on multiple fronts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I'm voting yes on a similar amendment in Colorado, legalize and regulate like alcohol. It's a common sense approach on multiple fronts.
    Need to end the war on drugs. It is an abject failure.

We have it on the ballot in Mass as well.

The fear of pot on the Federal level is asinine.

We also have assisted suicide on the ballot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post

We are all pulling for you.

Hall Of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    We are all pulling for you.
    I was close when McCourty fumbled.

Then I remembered we were playing the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I support a marijuana party.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We passed assisted suicide 4 years ago. Another good law.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Need to end the war on drugs. It is an abject failure.
    I pay CA sales tax; what the heck is everybody talking about? MJ already costs 5X more than tobacco; I hope they don't tax it to death.

All Pro
    Testicular cancer for male users; a tax windfall for barren state coffers.

A win-win situation all-around !

'ceptin' ham cybele guy - he can fire up at will

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Just something else to regulate, tax, and drown in the morass of a federal bureaucracy.

Meanwhile, in my quiet home town, blow and heroin are the biggest problems. Weed is a thing of the past. You want to legalize that **** too? After all, the war on drugs isn't working.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Just something else to regulate, tax, and drown in the morass of a federal bureaucracy.
    Actually, it's something that should be handled by the states.

Do you know how many resources are wasted in enforcing marijuana laws and running anti-drug campaigns? This bureaucracy you speak of would pale in comparison.

Meanwhile, in my quiet home town, blow and heroin are the biggest problems. Weed is a thing of the past. You want to legalize that **** too? After all, the war on drugs isn't working.
    This is a classic straw man argument, but in my opinion, yes they should be legalized. The demand and accessibility are relatively high regardless of the substances being illegal. Eliminating the manufactured black market will bring crime rates down dramatically. Drug addictions should be treated as medical conditions not crimes.

Didn't we learn anything from Prohibition and the failed War on Drugs?

if your on the fence with assisted suicide watch the documentary "How to Die in Oregon" It is very hard to watch but informative about the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Actually, it's something that should be handled by the states.

Do you know how many resources are wasted in enforcing marijuana laws and running anti-drug campaigns? This bureaucracy you speak of would pale in comparison.

This is a classic straw man argument, but in my opinion, yes they should be legalized. The demand and accessibility are relatively high regardless of the substances being illegal. Eliminating the manufactured black market will bring crime rates down dramatically. Drug addictions should be treated as medical conditions not crimes.

Didn't we learn anything from Prohibition and the failed War on Drugs?
    You want to legalize hard drugs, mandate substance abuse treatment like you would depression or anxiety and ask me to pay for it...

Wow.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    You want to legalize hard drugs, mandate substance abuse treatment like you would depression or anxiety and ask me to pay for it...

Wow.
    Whoa, who said anything about mandating substance abuse treatment? Besides we're already paying billions for enforcement and incarceration for non-violent possession charges.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    My money is on Twinkies, Doritos, and Taco Bell.