Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A deal with Detroit makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Adrian Peterson says hi..

Torn ACL are not career threatening as the once where. Plenty of athletes have come back from it and have returned to form.. Our very own Cromartie once tore his ACL.
    He didn't say they were. Revis may may may be the same player when he comes back. I hope he is.

That said, his trade value may be overrated considering the injury and his contract shenanigans.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Yep plenty have. But you still don't trade anyone of value for someone until you see them come back from them.
    Jets would be dumb to trade him anyway for freaking 2nd rd pick and cliff Avril
    A guy that has 1 double digit sack yr in his whole 5 yr career.

Jets would be dumb to trade him anyway for freaking 2nd rd pick and cliff Avril
    A guy that has 1 double digit sack yr in his whole 5 yr career.
    His career sack totals are 5, 5.5, 8, 11.5 and he has 2.5 this year. That is pretty good for a guy who is still only 26 years old.

What do you think we can get for him then?

Because if we dont do something proactive we are left with the following options:

1. He has a great year and holds out for $13-15milllion a year. Which adding to what cro gets, ties up approximatelyl $23 million at the CB, not a premier position for that kind of cap allocation.

2. He has a great year, and signs a huge deal elsewhere and we get a compensatory 3rd round pick for one of the top 3 defensive players in the league.

3. He isnt the same after the injury and we save money vs the cap, but no longer have "shut down" revis.

Adrian Peterson says hi..

Torn ACL are not career threatening as the once where. Plenty of athletes have come back from it and have returned to form.. Our very own Cromartie once tore his ACL.
    Torn ACLs are nothing nowadays... It's a 6 month oil change. Nearly everyone comes back and they come back the same. Too many examples to even list.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    We have a high cap number invested in Cro as well and have shown that our defense does not need both of them.
    I want some of the stuff you're smoking.

All Pro
    His career sack totals are 5, 5.5, 8, 11.5 and he has 2.5 this year. That is pretty good for a guy who is still only 26 years old.

What do you think we can get for him then?

Because if we dont do something proactive we are left with the following options:

1. He has a great year and holds out for $13-15milllion a year. Which adding to what cro gets, ties up approximatelyl $23 million at the CB, not a premier position for that kind of cap allocation.

2. He has a great year, and signs a huge deal elsewhere and we get a compensatory 3rd round pick for one of the top 3 defensive players in the league.

3. He isnt the same after the injury and we save money vs the cap, but no longer have "shut down" revis.
    I would not trade him there is no point.. Revis in no shape or form hurting this team. U know why he commands big money cause he is the best at his position.. Hopefully with the injury jets can save a few bucks but there is no reason to trade revis without atleast kicking the tires next year. I would rather have 1 great player in revis than 3 avg players..
    Last edited by Scoop24; 10-23-2012 at 10:10 AM.

If I'm tanny I don't even pick up the phone unless Detroit starts with Avril, their starting RT, and a 1st

[QUOTE=Scoop24;4659995]I would not trade him there is no point.. Revis in no shape or form hurting this team. U know why he commands big money cause he is the best at his position.. Hopefully with the injury jets can save a few bucks but there is no reason to trade revis without atleast kicking the tires next year. I would rather have 1 great player in revis than 3 avg players..[/QUOTE]

That statement is the reason why we have had 500 threads about the team neglecting the offensive line and why we cant rush the passer.

You want to sign the eric winstons of the world, then you dont pay your CBs $23 million combined.

Football and especially defense is a TEAM effort. How is dallas doing after guaranteeing $26 million to brandon carr and drafting clairborne? And thats WITH demarcus ware. What about the eagles, how is Aso doing?

Did the giants or packers or steelers or patriots have top money invested in CB? They absolutely didnt, because it isnt a premium position to allocate cap dollars to.

Revis is an AMAZING player and the best CB in the league, but he isnt worth $13-15 million a year, especially if you can get picks or a quality pass rusher back for him.

Revis goes down hurt, Cro is inarguably the best Corner in the NFL right now, and you want to trade one of the two best players on the Jets and the basis for Rex's defense for Cliff Avril who hasn't done squat all year and a 2nd rounder.

Here's the trade:

Revis for Suh and a 2nd rounder.

There's no way that would happen.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4660019]
    I would not trade him there is no point.. Revis in no shape or form hurting this team. U know why he commands big money cause he is the best at his position.. Hopefully with the injury jets can save a few bucks but there is no reason to trade revis without atleast kicking the tires next year. I would rather have 1 great player in revis than 3 avg players..[/QUOTE]

That statement is the reason why we have had 500 threads about the team neglecting the offensive line and why we cant rush the passer.

You want to sign the eric winstons of the world, then you dont pay your CBs $23 million combined.

Football and especially defense is a TEAM effort. How is dallas doing after guaranteeing $26 million to brandon carr and drafting clairborne? And thats WITH demarcus ware. What about the eagles, how is Aso doing?

Did the giants or packers or steelers or patriots have top money invested in CB? They absolutely didnt, because it isnt a premium position to allocate cap dollars to.

Revis is an AMAZING player and the best CB in the league, but he isnt worth $13-15 million a year, especially if you can get picks or a quality pass rusher back for him.

Packers had Charles Woodson? Patriots had Ty Law when they where winning sb.
    Giants have Cory Webster who is one of the better CB's in the league every year.

I can make the Case Mangini loved stock piling avg players over Quality ones. And that's gotten him fired twice.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Revis goes down hurt, Cro is inarguably the best Corner in the NFL right now, and you want to trade one of the two best players on the Jets and the basis for Rex's defense for Cliff Avril who hasn't done squat all year and a 2nd rounder.

Here's the trade:

Revis for Suh and a 2nd rounder.

There's no way that would happen.
    If there is no way that deal would happen, why mention it?

I dont think indy will trade us luck for revis either.

I mention Avril because he could actually be dealt. Its very hard to find a good edge rusher to put into a deal like this because any GM with brain knows that position is TWICE as valuable as CB.

If there is no way that deal would happen, why mention it?

I dont think indy will trade us luck for revis either.

I mention Avril because he could actually be dealt. Its very hard to find a good edge rusher to put into a deal like this because any GM with brain knows that position is TWICE as valuable as CB.
    Because Avril's not been that good this year and he's a tier 2 DE.

Revis and Cro are 1 and between 2 and 5 CB's across the NFL. Avril isn't a top 5 DE. You'd be asking for a first with Avril then paying him as much as a top 5 DE. Which he's not.

You have to look at him in context to playing next to Suh. Prior to Suh he averaged 5 sacks a year............

Revis goes down and Cro turns into Revis...............Suh goes down, I would bet money that Avril doesn't elevate his game.

Watching the detroit defense last night, it really seems that they would be an excelletn trade partner for us. Whether its for Revis or Cro, there is an opportunity to help both teams here and its something i hope we look at strongly this offseason. Although it would need to include Detroit giving us a pick, which hopefully would be a second rounder if this deal was for Revis, both him and Cro should be considered in a deal for Cliff Avril.

Here are the facts that Detroit is looking at.

Detroit franchised Avril last year, so if they franchise him again his cap number will go up an additional 20%.

They already have high picks and money invested in Fariley and Suh, and also drafted Ronnel Lewis to play a spot similar to what Avril does now.

Their CBs are among the worst in the league, and they will now be playing Brandon Marshall twice a year, along with GB.

And from the Jets standpoint:

Revis will attempt to be the highest paid CB in the league, regardless of his injury. We have a high cap number invested in Cro as well and have shown that our defense does not need both of them.

Prior to the advent of the spread offense and the rule changes for PI/Defense Holding, Revis was infinitely more valuable then he is today. If a team had 2 WRs and a TE and he shut one down, that was extremely beneficial to the defense. However, if a team runs out 4-5 WRs/TEs, and he still only shuts down 1, then on a % basis, he is not affecting the game as much.

We need to get younger and faster in our front 7, and while avril will command a high salary, losing one of Revis or Cro will offset that and allow us to play a lot more 4-3 or hopefully 4-2-5 with Harris and Demario at LB and 5 DBs. With a Dline of wilk, avril, ellis, and coples and those 2 LBs im confident we will be able defend the run, while also rushing the passer on early downs.

NFL trades are very hard to workout and Avril as an UFA would need to agree to a long term deal here in order to allow the trade to happen, but this deal makes sense for both teams.
    I could be wrong but you can't trade a franchise player or an UFA!,,,

All Pro
    Ok, so lets call it a 3rd, since there has never been a 2nd round compensatory pick ever given.

But looking at this objectively, if cliff avril, was entered into the 2013 draft, do you think he wouldnt be a top 5 pick? A proven pro, who had 11.5 sacks last year and is 26 years old?

Picks are very valuable, but so are young, edge rushers with a proven track record.
    It was just for clarification....

As for your trade offer; its interesting, to say the least. It would also give the Jets some flexibility to then draft one pass rusher and a ILB. Would also need to pick up another CB via Free agency/draft, but for two weeks the Jets have shown Darrelle isn't as important as many have thought. Surprise! A CB just doesn't make or break your team...a great pass rush, however..........

[QUOTE=Scoop24;4660033]

Packers had Charles Woodson? Patriots had Ty Law when they where winning sb.
    Giants have Cory Webster who is one of the better CB's in the league every year.

I can make the Case Mangini loved stock piling avg players over Quality ones. And that's gotten him fired twice.
    Woodson's biggest cap hit in a single year will be $11 million

Webster's biggest cap hit will be $9.5 million

Law earned his third Super Bowl ring with the Patriots in 2004, but missed the final 9 games of the season and all three of the Patriots' playoff games due to a foot injury. On February 25, 2005, Law was released by the Patriots due to his $12,551,000 cap salary.

No one "wants average players" Mangini understood from being part of the Patriots organization that the team is more important than any individual, and that is what won them SBs.

No one "wants average players" Mangini understood from being part of the Patriots organization that the team is more important than any individual, and that is what won them SBs.
    No, that was cheating.

why is everyone bashing the OP?? he actually made a very interesting suggestion and it's something the Jets should absolutely consider.

right now, the Revis injury is turning out to be a blessing in disguise. not only is it showing that our D doesn't depend on him but it has also forced Cromartie and Wilson to step their games up considerably. the benefit is two-fold. Revis' leverage in contract negotiations is reduced, while Cro's market value is increased.

i would absolutely trade for Cliff Avril, but i would trade Cromartie, not Revis. give Cro's money to Avril and sign Revis long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    why is everyone bashing the OP?? he actually made a very interesting suggestion and it's something the Jets should absolutely consider.

right now, the Revis injury is turning out to be a blessing in disguise. not only is it showing that our D doesn't depend on him but it has also forced Cromartie and Wilson to step their games up considerably. the benefit is two-fold. Revis' leverage in contract negotiations is reduced, while Cro's market value is increased.

i would absolutely trade for Cliff Avril, but i would trade Cromartie, not Revis. give Cro's money to Avril and sign Revis long-term.
    Jets would not trade Cromartie while they are still in the playoff hunt this year. If they dropped to like 3-7 or 3-8, yeah, maybe they'd consider it (although trading deadline would have passed I think). I think Cromartie's sudden resurgence since the Revis injury does give us some flexibility. Does it make sense to have both of them on the team? I'd really like to see Revis a Jet for life or the vast majority of his career. Cromartie has not always played at this level and I would have an easier time letting go of.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Jets would not trade Cromartie while they are still in the playoff hunt this year. If they dropped to like 3-7 or 3-8, yeah, maybe they'd consider it (although trading deadline would have passed I think). I think Cromartie's sudden resurgence since the Revis injury does give us some flexibility. Does it make sense to have both of them on the team? I'd really like to see Revis a Jet for life or the vast majority of his career. Cromartie has not always played at this level and I would have an easier time letting go of.
    i was thinking next year, definitely not this year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Dump!

first Detroit wont take an injured player and second Jets wont take anything less than a 1st and a 2nd for revis, end of story.