Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 119

Thread: A deal with Detroit makes a lot of sense.

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Just to clarify: It wouldn't be nothing. We would get a very HIGH comp pick for Revis, because it is based on what they players signs for. He would garner a third, or maybe a second (although I doubt that; it would have to be a HUGE contract to get a second)
    I think you are somewhat confused. Since when do you get comp picks for TRADES? Comp picks only come from losing players to free agency, not trades.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Ok, so lets call it a 3rd, since there has never been a 2nd round compensatory pick ever given.

    But looking at this objectively, if cliff avril, was entered into the 2013 draft, do you think he wouldnt be a top 5 pick? A proven pro, who had 11.5 sacks last year and is 26 years old?

    Picks are very valuable, but so are young, edge rushers with a proven track record.
    there was a 3d round comp pick this past draft I think to Oakland. But it doesn't matter... Comp picks result from losses in free agency, NOT TRADES!
    Last edited by Dcat; 10-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Couple items

    1. QBs (even carson plamer) are more valuable then CBs

    2. Because oakland made a moronic deal, doesnt meant other teams will.

    3. Ware is a pass rusher, revis is a CB.

    All in all, i agree with you, that revis should bring back a HAUL in a trade, but with the injury, our bargaining position has to be reduced. Plus, if we let him play out 2013 we lose ALL bargaining power as he is unrestricted and we cant franchise him.

    So would you rather avril and a #2 now vs potentially NOTHING in 2013?
    you can't make the cap numbers work.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This is why you aren't going to get anything close to value for Revis right now.
    dangerous assumption right there. It's happened before.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I think you are somewhat confused. Since when do you get comp picks for TRADES? Comp picks only come from losing players to free agency, not trades.
    The posters response was when I said we "would get nothing" if Revis leaves in FA. He was correcting that to say we would get a compensatory 3rd round pick, which while true, would be virtually nothing.

  6. #46

    Revis isn't holding out...

    He's got no leverage... Who is going to trade for a corner coming off an acl injury?

    Let him sit out then... Has the D been any worse really w/o him??? Not at all.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
    He's got no leverage... Who is going to trade for a corner coming off an acl injury?

    Let him sit out then... Has the D been any worse really w/o him??? Not at all.
    His leverage actually comes from playing in 2013. If he plays well, he will be an UFA without the penalty of potentially being franchised by the Jets.

  8. #48

    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    His leverage actually comes from playing in 2013. If he plays well, he will be an UFA without the penalty of potentially being franchised by the Jets.

    He will have to prove himself again... So he's not doing anything for 2013 except play his ass off...

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
    He's got no leverage... Who is going to trade for a corner coming off an acl injury?

    Let him sit out then... Has the D been any worse really w/o him??? Not at all.
    He is injured, what do you mean let him sit out, He will most likely be raring to go for the start of the 2013 season and primed to have a great year before he enters FA in 2014, He will not hurry back this year and take a chance on a set back that may impact him playing a full schedule next year, if that is what you mean. .

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The posters response was when I said we "would get nothing" if Revis leaves in FA. He was correcting that to say we would get a compensatory 3rd round pick, which while true, would be virtually nothing.
    oh, I see. But comp picks are still computed by the totality of gains/losses any team has in FA during the off season. It's not based on one loss.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
    He's got no leverage... Who is going to trade for a corner coming off an acl injury?

    Let him sit out then... Has the D been any worse really w/o him??? Not at all.
    If Mario Williams can become the highest paid Defensive player in the league coming off a torn pec, then I have no doubt that Revis could possibly hold out until he tops Williams, despite having a torn ACL.

    Caving to those demands would manipulate Karma in such a way that Revis would end up being about as good as Williams has been this year........on pace to being the largest UFA signing bust in history.........and they can't cut him!

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    I think you are somewhat confused. Since when do you get comp picks for TRADES? Comp picks only come from losing players to free agency, not trades.
    Not confused at all: the comment was we could lose him for nothing after this season and get nothing in return. I stated we wouldn't lose him for nothing; if he was to sign with someone else after next season, we would most definitely get a 3rd round comp pick for him.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    If Mario Williams can become the highest paid Defensive player in the league coming off a torn pec, then I have no doubt that Revis could possibly hold out until he tops Williams, despite having a torn ACL.

    Caving to those demands would manipulate Karma in such a way that Revis would end up being about as good as Williams has been this year........on pace to being the largest UFA signing bust in history.........and they can't cut him!
    Exactly. Revis is gonna get paid, and if he's traded is going to command top level compensation. Take your Avril and a 2nd and toss it in the garbage. If we're sending Revis to Detroit we better be getting Megatron in return.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Exactly. Revis is gonna get paid, and if he's traded is going to command top level compensation. Take your Avril and a 2nd and toss it in the garbage. If we're sending Revis to Detroit we better be getting Megatron in return.
    Top WR > Top CB.

    You must not have thought that through.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Exactly. Revis is gonna get paid, and if he's traded is going to command top level compensation. Take your Avril and a 2nd and toss it in the garbage. If we're sending Revis to Detroit we better be getting Megatron in return.
    Right, calvin johnson for Revis, I bet that deal gets done no problem.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    Exactly. Detroit gives Jets Cliff Avril and a #1 then you might have something. Anything less than that, lo siento amigo

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Exactly. Revis is gonna get paid, and if he's traded is going to command top level compensation. Take your Avril and a 2nd and toss it in the garbage. If we're sending Revis to Detroit we better be getting Megatron in return.
    This isn't Madden....Revis is NOT worth Megatron and picks.

    It would be a stretch for a 1st and Avril, but if could be done, you do it in a heartbeat.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Revis was voted "Best defensive player in the NFL" and you think a player & a #2 is OK?

    Carson Palmer was traded for 2,1st round picks for gods sake.
    I wouldn't trade Revis for anything less than a player & a #1, end of story!

    That would be like Dallas trading Ware! What do you think they would want in return?
    Now if you say no one steps up for a trade like that, I think your wrong.
    Revis makes a team with a kick arse offense scary.

    Detroit actually would be a great trade partner.
    Get your facts straight . C Palmer was traded for a number one in 2012 and a number 2 in 2013.

  19. #59
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,434
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Get your facts straight . C Palmer was traded for a number one in 2012 and a number 2 in 2013.
    And it was one of the dumbest trades of all time.

    Raiders continue to be one of the worst teams in the entire NFL.

  20. #60
    Detroit needs a new quarterback.

    Sorry boys, I know the Matt Stafford fanclub is definitely always in town on this site but he has to be the new most overrated QB in the NFL now that everyone recognizes Tim Tebow and Matt Cassell suck and belong on the bench.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us