Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A deal with Detroit makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Your entitle to your opinion but that's all it is. I will let the numbers at the end of the season make my case.
    inb4Raider9175IsNowhereToBeFoundAfterTheSeason

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Check the OP.

I don't think it's a realistic option at all. And I'm not a big fan of Avril.
    I like Avril, but for a 4-3 defense, not Rex's D. And your right, it is beyond realistic. Posters need to look into cap consequences- before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I like Avril, but for a 4-3 defense, not Rex's D. And your right, it is beyond realistic. Posters need to look into cap consequences- before posting.
    Are you kidding me?

I listed Avril's situation with being an UFA who has already been franchised once.

Revis will have some cap ramifications if traded before the last years of his deal voids...sorry I dont know the intriciacies of what they are.

With the amount of pure, unintelligent crap on this board, you are going to criticize me for a lack of salary cap evaluation? Do we not have $20 + million coming off our books that woudl allow us to take a cap hit if we want?

You are a Pats bi+ch who comes on a Jets boad and gives opinions that NO ONE here is interested in hearing. You would think it would stop there, save the advice for your Pats board.

if you look at the Jets defensive roster, it's better suited to a 4-3 defense and who knows, we might make the transition next year when we shed a lot of dead weight on D.

a four man line of Avril, Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson would be a terrific building block for this defense for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm open to trading away Revis but not for Cliff Avril and a 2nd rounder. Maybe for Avril and a 1st... but Avril is nothing special. He benefits from playing with a lot of talent on the DL.
    I'd do Revis for Suh. Considering how unpopular Suh is with the media and that Goodell has the microscope on him maybe the Lions are open to a trade. Suh would be a monster in Rex's defense.

Megatron is the only other Lions player I'd consider but no way is Detroit ever trading him.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Are you kidding me?

I listed Avril's situation with being an UFA who has already been franchised once.

Revis will have some cap ramifications if traded before the last years of his deal voids...sorry I dont know the intriciacies of what they are.

With the amount of pure, unintelligent crap on this board, you are going to criticize me for a lack of salary cap evaluation? Do we not have $20 + million coming off our books that woudl allow us to take a cap hit if we want?

You are a Pats bi+ch who comes on a Jets boad and gives opinions that NO ONE here is interested in hearing. You would think it would stop there, save the advice for your Pats board.
    The cap ramifications for trading Revis during this off-season is a 3mill hit.(per Jason's cap page) he is actually cheaper to keep than to cut or trade.

At this time the jets are 20 mill over the cap for next year. 30mill of which can be skimmed off by Cutting Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Pace and Scott.

You need 5 mill for the rookies. So that leaves the jets with only 5 mill to replace 14 front line players.
    LB- Pace, Scott, Thomas
    Oline- Smith, Slauson, Moore
    RB- Greene
    TE- Keller
    D-line Devito (don't count maybin as he has not stepped up)
    WR- Schillens
    Safety- Smith, Landry and Scott and Bell

The jets are going to be hard pressed to replace 1/2 of those FA with vets by cutting even more players or reworking deals and stealing future cap dollars. To think that signing Avril to a 13mill contract is reasonable move is faulty logic at best.

My thoughts on the issue are at least reasonable, yours are not. (pats *****- how cute)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    if you look at the Jets defensive roster, it's better suited to a 4-3 defense and who knows, we might make the transition next year when we shed a lot of dead weight on D.

a four man line of Avril, Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson would be a terrific building block for this defense for years to come.
    I agree that the existing roster will be better suited for a 4-3, and Avril would make a nice bookend to Coples with Ellis and Wilkenson on the inside. But Rex has continued to to go with a 3-4 as he like the Blitz options that having 4 LB give him. Will he switch next year, maybe.

The cap ramifications for trading Revis during this off-season is a 3mill hit.(per Jason's cap page) he is actually cheaper to keep than to cut or trade.

At this time the jets are 20 mill over the cap for next year. 30mill of which can be skimmed off by Cutting Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Pace and Scott.

You need 5 mill for the rookies. So that leaves the jets with only 5 mill to replace 14 front line players.
    LB- Pace, Scott, Thomas
    RB- Greene
    TE- Keller
    WR- Schillens

The jets are going to be hard pressed to replace 1/2 of those FA with vets by cutting even more players or reworking deals and stealing future cap dollars. To think that signing Avril to a 13mill contract is reasonable move is faulty logic at best.

My thoughts on the issue are at least reasonable, yours are not. (pats *****- how cute)
    Absolutely reasonable, but are you really saying there are no other options for the team?

First off you left off pouha who, with the cap hit, will still save us $4million more.

But more importantly there are a bunch of different things that can happen during an offseason. For example, the texans saw that a former all-pro ILB in demeco ryans didnt fit their needs so they traded him and his salary for a 4th round pick. Sending david harris somewhere for a 4th round pick, to get that $9 million off our cap (and the necessary money for a passrusher) would be a deal the FO would do in one minute. Not saying its gonna happen, but its plausible, and it happened 1 whole offseason ago.

Things happen, and this thread is not some ridiculous lets trade brandon moore for demarcus ware. It 2 teams, with needs that are aligned and the POTENTIAL for something to be discussed on this board....

Jets Insider VIP

LB- Pace, Scott, Thomas
    RB- Greene
    TE- Keller
    WR- Schillens

A) you have no clue about what the 2013 cap will be.

B) you are a pats*****

C) worry about your two decades in the basement when your aging queen QB trades in his cleats and heads off to Hollyweird with Dominatrix Jizabella to play with his gerbils..NLT than end of next season

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LB- Pace, Scott, Thomas
    RB- Greene
    TE- Keller
    WR- Schillens

We can create 20 mil in space for FA next year but yes Avril is not worth 13 mil of that. Much like people think we can cut Holmes and sign anther 10 mil WR is just doesn't add up or make you that much better a team. If we went to a 4-3 Id be OK with McIntyre and Coples playing the ends. I agree Avril would not be a 13 mil OLB on our D. The thing people don't seem to realize is Detroit isn't likely to take on anther 10 mil+ salary themselves. To quote their own cap page. This is without capping anyone.

Total Cap Hit Salary on the Books for 2013: $106,988,969
    Percentage of that belonging to Megatron, Suh, Vanden Bosch, and Stafford: 56%
    Total Players on the Books for 2013: 28
    Projected Team Cap: $128,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

where does the ultra-slow David Harris play in a 4-3?

I'm just glad we have that beast Chaz Schilens who is on pace for 28 catches and 276 yards for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    where does the ultra-slow David Harris play in a 4-3?
    On the cardinals? Or titans?

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    A) you have no clue about what the 2013 cap will be.

B) you are a pats*****

C) worry about your two decades in the basement when your aging queen QB trades in his cleats and heads off to Hollyweird with Dominatrix Jizabella to play with his gerbils..NLT than end of next season

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    SG3 all I know is that both Kraft and Bud Adams have both spoken publically that the cap will not be going up next year. As a matter of fact the union has been borrowing cap dollars from future years to minimize the impact of the new CBA.

The pats are not getting any more cap dollars either, and have thier own players to sign. And the pats won 3 divisions and went to the SB once in the 6 years before Brady came on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    We can create 20 mil in space for FA next year but yes Avril is not worth 13 mil of that. Much like people think we can cut Holmes and sign anther 10 mil WR is just doesn't add up or make you that much better a team. If we went to a 4-3 Id be OK with McIntyre and Coples playing the ends. I agree Avril would not be a 13 mil OLB on our D. The thing people don't seem to realize is Detroit isn't likely to take on anther 10 mil+ salary themselves. To quote their own cap page. This is without capping anyone.
    You don't "create" cap room except by cutting players. The only other thing you can do is borrow from future years, by converting salary to SB (which is how the jets got into this mess.) The jets already have 14 starting or 2nd rotational players as FA next year.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Absolutely reasonable, but are you really saying there are no other options for the team?

First off you left off pouha who, with the cap hit, will still save us $4million more.

But more importantly there are a bunch of different things that can happen during an offseason. For example, the texans saw that a former all-pro ILB in demeco ryans didnt fit their needs so they traded him and his salary for a 4th round pick. Sending david harris somewhere for a 4th round pick, to get that $9 million off our cap (and the necessary money for a passrusher) would be a deal the FO would do in one minute. Not saying its gonna happen, but its plausible, and it happened 1 whole offseason ago.

Things happen, and this thread is not some ridiculous lets trade brandon moore for demarcus ware. It 2 teams, with needs that are aligned and the POTENTIAL for something to be discussed on this board....
    No. there are plenty of options, but are they options that the jets are willing to take, As far as harris goes, his contract is not structured the same as Ryans. Ryans cap hit this year is less that 6 mill for the eagles. the team that trades for harris will have a cap hit of 11 mill, as more of his salary is guaranteed with him only getting about a 12 mill bonus when he signed.
    There are a lot of teams that will take on 6 mill in salary, 11mill is a lot harder to absorb. So no, I don't in light of his salary that a trade is feasible.

Hall Of Fame
    Even if it is a good fit for the Lions does anyone really think they want to take on the notoriously diffucult-to-sign and always unhappy-with-his-current-deal Darrelle Revis just in time for him to feel like he deserves to get the biggest payday of his career?

Why would ANY team do that even if he is a good fit?

You don't "create" cap room except by cutting players. The only other thing you can do is borrow from future years, by converting salary to SB (which is how the jets got into this mess.) The jets already have 14 starting or 2nd rotational players as FA next year.

I wouldn't say we are in a mess next year. This year yes but next year we have a ton of movable cap. Oh and you can also trade players to make cap genus. How much dead money do we have from trading Hunters 100% gar money? Is that 50k I see! Here are some #s without trading anyone.

1. Restructure Harris - He only has 2 mil gar next year on 7 mil and is the only guy worth extending. Move 1 mil to next year and give him 2 more years at 7 with anther 9 mil gar. He still gets his 20 mil over the next 2 years and we get 5 mill in cap space. Min risk for both parties because we are likely to keep him anther 2 years regardless. 136,589,382
    2. Cut Jason Smith - 12 mil cut duh. 124,589,382
    3. Cut Pace - 8.56mil 116,029,382
    4. Cut Scott - 7.15 mil 108,879,382
    5. Cut Pouha he isn't playing now and we are fine at DT. 3.833332mil 105,046,050
    6. Cut Eric Smith 3 mil 102,046,00
    Right there that is over 20 mil in cap space. 40 MIL ON ONLY 6 MOVES!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I wouldn't say we are in a mess next year. This year yes but next year we have a ton of movable cap. Oh and you can also trade players to make cap genus. How much dead money do we have from trading Hunters 100% gar money? Is that 50k I see! Here are some #s without trading anyone.

1. Restructure Harris - He only has 2 mil gar next year on 7 mil and is the only guy worth extending. Move 1 mil to next year and give him 2 more years at 7 with anther 9 mil gar. He still gets his 20 mil over the next 2 years and we get 5 mill in cap space. Min risk for both parties because we are likely to keep him anther 2 years regardless. 136,589,382
    2. Cut Jason Smith - 12 mil cut duh. 124,589,382
    3. Cut Pace - 8.56mil 116,029,382
    4. Cut Scott - 7.15 mil 108,879,382
    5. Cut Pouha he isn't playing now and we are fine at DT. 3.833332mil 105,046,050
    6. Cut Eric Smith 3 mil 102,046,00
    Right there that is over 20 mil in cap space. 40 MIL ON ONLY 6 MOVES!
    First the Jets will also carry over about 3 mill of cap room from this year after paying Landry and a couple of other guys their incentives, so you can add that cap room giving you about 23 mill.

Harris got 19 mill in salary guarantees in addition to the 10 mill SB. 1/2 of his salary for next year is guaranteed already. and his salary is 10.9 mill next year along with a 2mill SB amortization for a cap hit of 13 mil total.
    When this contract ends he will be 31, and you want to extend him for more years. Most jet fans are already concerned that he may be slowing down now, never mind two years from now. Look at what you are paying Pace and Scott now, that is the value that Harris will be bringing at that age, But yes you can cut his cap hit by 5 mill next year no problem there.

Right you got 23 mill in cap room, and 5 mill of which goes to the rookies next year so now you have 18 mill to sign or replace Landry, Bell, and Smith at safety. Slauson, Moore, Smith on the oline, Pouha and Devtio on the Dline, Shon Greene at RB, Keller at TE, Schillens at WR, and Pace, Scott, Maybin, and Thomas at LB. and Folk at kicker. That is 16 players who are getting a lot of playing time or are starters to replace for only 1.15 mill a piece. If you get 3 starters out of the 2013 draft that leaves 13 players at 1.35 mill a piece.

Then you need to add money for guys like Malone and Austin Howard. Howard as a starting T will need to be tagged at the 2 mill level or the jets will lose him with no comp.

The purpose of my post was not to express an opinion that the jets were in cap hell or anything, just that they were in no position to absorb the cap hit from trading Revis and signing a big name 13 mill a year FA. Just that one move is 16 mill of cap room. The jets will be in position to restock by getting 3 or 4, 2.5 to 4 mill a year vet FA players and get another 4 or 5 from the bargain basement and rely on 4 guys on the roster to step up their roles and 3 or 4 more starters from next year's class.
    Last edited by patman; 10-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.