Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 119

Thread: A deal with Detroit makes a lot of sense.

  1. #1

    A deal with Detroit makes a lot of sense.

    Watching the detroit defense last night, it really seems that they would be an excelletn trade partner for us. Whether its for Revis or Cro, there is an opportunity to help both teams here and its something i hope we look at strongly this offseason. Although it would need to include Detroit giving us a pick, which hopefully would be a second rounder if this deal was for Revis, both him and Cro should be considered in a deal for Cliff Avril.

    Here are the facts that Detroit is looking at.

    Detroit franchised Avril last year, so if they franchise him again his cap number will go up an additional 20%.

    They already have high picks and money invested in Fariley and Suh, and also drafted Ronnel Lewis to play a spot similar to what Avril does now.

    Their CBs are among the worst in the league, and they will now be playing Brandon Marshall twice a year, along with GB.

    And from the Jets standpoint:

    Revis will attempt to be the highest paid CB in the league, regardless of his injury. We have a high cap number invested in Cro as well and have shown that our defense does not need both of them.

    Prior to the advent of the spread offense and the rule changes for PI/Defense Holding, Revis was infinitely more valuable then he is today. If a team had 2 WRs and a TE and he shut one down, that was extremely beneficial to the defense. However, if a team runs out 4-5 WRs/TEs, and he still only shuts down 1, then on a % basis, he is not affecting the game as much.

    We need to get younger and faster in our front 7, and while avril will command a high salary, losing one of Revis or Cro will offset that and allow us to play a lot more 4-3 or hopefully 4-2-5 with Harris and Demario at LB and 5 DBs. With a Dline of wilk, avril, ellis, and coples and those 2 LBs im confident we will be able defend the run, while also rushing the passer on early downs.

    NFL trades are very hard to workout and Avril as an UFA would need to agree to a long term deal here in order to allow the trade to happen, but this deal makes sense for both teams.

  2. #2
    If we trade Revis for a second rounder I cry.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If we trade Revis for a second rounder I cry.
    A 2nd rounder AND cliff avril?

    You might not be crying seeing avril come off the edge for us....

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    If we trade Revis for a second rounder I cry.
    I think it's unlikely we trade Revis for anything. It's more likely he plays next year and we simply don't re-sign him.

    from my perspective if we can get a 2nd for him now and not have him next year, I'll take it.

  5. #5
    The only way I would part with Revis would be if it would somehow guarantee us better play at the QB position, whether it is through draft picks or a trade. Our defense is getting better and better, we need help on offense. Offense wins championships these days.

  6. #6
    Revis was voted "Best defensive player in the NFL" and you think a player & a #2 is OK?

    Carson Palmer was traded for 2,1st round picks for gods sake.
    I wouldn't trade Revis for anything less than a player & a #1, end of story!

    That would be like Dallas trading Ware! What do you think they would want in return?
    Now if you say no one steps up for a trade like that, I think your wrong.
    Revis makes a team with a kick arse offense scary.

    Detroit actually would be a great trade partner.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,662
    There absolutely no reason to trade revis.. Him and Cro are the only 2 sure things the jets have...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Revis was voted "Best defensive player in the NFL" and you think a player & a #2 is OK?

    Carson Palmer was traded for 2,1st round picks for gods sake.
    I wouldn't trade Revis for anything less than a player & a #1, end of story!

    That would be like Dallas trading Ware! What do you think they would want in return?
    Now if you say no one steps up for a trade like that, I think your wrong.
    Revis makes a team with a kick arse offense scary.

    Detroit actually would be a great trade partner.
    Couple items

    1. QBs (even carson plamer) are more valuable then CBs

    2. Because oakland made a moronic deal, doesnt meant other teams will.

    3. Ware is a pass rusher, revis is a CB.

    All in all, i agree with you, that revis should bring back a HAUL in a trade, but with the injury, our bargaining position has to be reduced. Plus, if we let him play out 2013 we lose ALL bargaining power as he is unrestricted and we cant franchise him.

    So would you rather avril and a #2 now vs potentially NOTHING in 2013?

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Couple items

    1. QBs (even carson plamer) are more valuable then CBs

    2. Because oakland made a moronic deal, doesnt meant other teams will.

    3. Ware is a pass rusher, revis is a CB.

    All in all, i agree with you, that revis should bring back a HAUL in a trade, but with the injury, our bargaining position has to be reduced. Plus, if we let him play out 2013 we lose ALL bargaining power as he is unrestricted and we cant franchise him.

    So would you rather avril and a #2 now vs potentially NOTHING in 2013?
    Just to clarify: It wouldn't be nothing. We would get a very HIGH comp pick for Revis, because it is based on what they players signs for. He would garner a third, or maybe a second (although I doubt that; it would have to be a HUGE contract to get a second)

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    LOL

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Couple items

    1. QBs (even carson plamer) are more valuable then CBs

    2. Because oakland made a moronic deal, doesnt meant other teams will.

    3. Ware is a pass rusher, revis is a CB.

    All in all, i agree with you, that revis should bring back a HAUL in a trade, but with the injury, our bargaining position has to be reduced. Plus, if we let him play out 2013 we lose ALL bargaining power as he is unrestricted and we cant franchise him.

    So would you rather avril and a #2 now vs potentially NOTHING in 2013?
    If Lions fans found out that the front office had a chance to get Revis & would not throw in a 1st, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    That would be like us not trading Harris & a #1 for Ware in his prime!
    Do you think we could have used Ware on Sunday!
    Not that fans have any say but the media would have a field day.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Just to clarify: It wouldn't be nothing. We would get a very HIGH comp pick for Revis, because it is based on what they players signs for. He would garner a third, or maybe a second (although I doubt that; it would have to be a HUGE contract to get a second)
    Ok, so lets call it a 3rd, since there has never been a 2nd round compensatory pick ever given.

    But looking at this objectively, if cliff avril, was entered into the 2013 draft, do you think he wouldnt be a top 5 pick? A proven pro, who had 11.5 sacks last year and is 26 years old?

    Picks are very valuable, but so are young, edge rushers with a proven track record.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Revis was voted "Best defensive player in the NFL" and you think a player & a #2 is OK?

    Carson Palmer was traded for 2,1st round picks for gods sake.
    I wouldn't trade Revis for anything less than a player & a #1, end of story!

    That would be like Dallas trading Ware! What do you think they would want in return?
    Now if you say no one steps up for a trade like that, I think your wrong.
    Revis makes a team with a kick arse offense scary.

    Detroit actually would be a great trade partner.

    Might have missed this but when was Revis the DPOY?
    He may NEVER be the same after his injury. take what you can get. He's overpriced and the Jets seems to be ok without him.
    Maybe Jadeveon Clowney comes out early and the Jets take him. A real pass rusher from a real conference for a change.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,478
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Couple items

    1. QBs (even carson plamer) are more valuable then CBs

    2. Because oakland made a moronic deal, doesnt meant other teams will.

    3. Ware is a pass rusher, revis is a CB.

    All in all, i agree with you, that revis should bring back a HAUL in a trade, but with the injury, our bargaining position has to be reduced. Plus, if we let him play out 2013 we lose ALL bargaining power as he is unrestricted and we cant franchise him.

    So would you rather avril and a #2 now vs potentially NOTHING in 2013?
    Thats a very interesting trade. I dont think you are going to get a "haul" for Revis as many think. I have no idea what the Lions cap situation looks like for the next couple years, they have some guys like you said that are going to be getting big money. Stafford, Calvin, Suh, are all guys who will be getting franchise money for their positions.

    I would not trade Revis right now, even if traded I think he has a 3 million dollar hit against the cap because of his pro rated signing bonus. There will be no hold-out talk as he has already said he has to prove he can be the same player he was before the injury.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Might have missed this but when was Revis the DPOY?
    He may NEVER be the same after his injury. take what you can get. He's overpriced and the Jets seems to be ok without him.
    Maybe Jadeveon Clowney comes out early and the Jets take him. A real pass rusher from a real conference for a change.
    Clowney will be the #1 pick in 2014, so unless we go 2-14 next year we cant get him. Plus if we do, we will need a QB.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He may NEVER be the same after his injury.
    This is why you aren't going to get anything close to value for Revis right now.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,662
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This is why you aren't going to get anything close to value for Revis right now.
    Adrian Peterson says hi..

    Torn ACL are not career threatening as the once where. Plenty of athletes have come back from it and have returned to form.. Our very own Cromartie once tore his ACL.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,478
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Watching the detroit defense last night, it really seems that they would be an excelletn trade partner for us. Whether its for Revis or Cro, there is an opportunity to help both teams here and its something i hope we look at strongly this offseason. Although it would need to include Detroit giving us a pick, which hopefully would be a second rounder if this deal was for Revis, both him and Cro should be considered in a deal for Cliff Avril.

    Here are the facts that Detroit is looking at.

    Detroit franchised Avril last year, so if they franchise him again his cap number will go up an additional 20%.

    They already have high picks and money invested in Fariley and Suh, and also drafted Ronnel Lewis to play a spot similar to what Avril does now.

    Their CBs are among the worst in the league, and they will now be playing Brandon Marshall twice a year, along with GB.

    And from the Jets standpoint:

    Revis will attempt to be the highest paid CB in the league, regardless of his injury. We have a high cap number invested in Cro as well and have shown that our defense does not need both of them.

    Prior to the advent of the spread offense and the rule changes for PI/Defense Holding, Revis was infinitely more valuable then he is today. If a team had 2 WRs and a TE and he shut one down, that was extremely beneficial to the defense. However, if a team runs out 4-5 WRs/TEs, and he still only shuts down 1, then on a % basis, he is not affecting the game as much.

    We need to get younger and faster in our front 7, and while avril will command a high salary, losing one of Revis or Cro will offset that and allow us to play a lot more 4-3 or hopefully 4-2-5 with Harris and Demario at LB and 5 DBs. With a Dline of wilk, avril, ellis, and coples and those 2 LBs im confident we will be able defend the run, while also rushing the passer on early downs.

    NFL trades are very hard to workout and Avril as an UFA would need to agree to a long term deal here in order to allow the trade to happen, but this deal makes sense for both teams.
    On a side note........Lewis was a guy that I liked before the draft and thought could be a good fit with the Jets. He was drafted in the 4th round and has some versatility, he is best suited as an OLB in a 3-4.

    Sadly the Jets did not have a 4th round pick this year.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Adrian Peterson says hi..

    Torn ACL are not career threatening as the once where. Plenty of athletes have come back from it and have returned to form.. Our very own Cromartie once tore his ACL.
    Yep plenty have. But you still don't trade anyone of value for someone until you see them come back from them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us