Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting stat on defense and end of game

Interesting stat on defense and end of game

Since Ryan was hired in 2009, the Jets have allowed opponents to score on 40% of drives when they have the ball trailing by one score in the final three minutes—including Sunday's crushing overtime loss in Foxborough against the Patriots. The NFL average is 30%. And only three defenses have fared worse in these situations: Dallas (52.9%), Washington (42.1%) and the Giants (42.1%).

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Thanks for the info, Pats TROLL

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Truth hurts.

This D has come up small in big spots for us. There is no debating that. Our HC refers to himself as the best defensive mind in the NFL. He sets the bar high and his defense comes up short.

2009 was a long time ago. The defense has gotten worse every year, not better.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Since Ryan was hired in 2009, the Jets have allowed opponents to score on 40% of drives when they have the ball trailing by one score in the final three minutes—including Sunday's crushing overtime loss in Foxborough against the Patriots. The NFL average is 30%. And only three defenses have fared worse in these situations: Dallas (52.9%), Washington (42.1%) and the Giants (42.1%).
    "So you're saying there's a chance!"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Truth hurts.

This D has come up small in big spots for us. There is no debating that. Our HC refers to himself as the best defensive mind in the NFL. He sets the bar high and his defense comes up short.

2009 was a long time ago. The defense has gotten worse every year, not better.
    The defense has not got worse from a scheme standpoint. its has got old. Thomas, pace, Scott should not be starting there our Achilles heel on defense. Teams pick on them he'll even Harris is getting picked on a lil bit this year. Our linebackers are easiest to target when u need a completion. And there non existent when it comes to blitzing . I saw Davis flash more on Sunday then I have seen Scott all season.

It's called not having a closer. With no DE or OLB who can pressure the QB, the Jets can not close out an opponent in desperation time. I remember in John Abraham's rookie season he would be brought out in the 4th quarter and close out games by putting tremendous pressure on the QB. It's a gift. Either you've got it, or you don't. No one on the Jets has it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Obviously the D has to come up bigger from time to time, but the O has the power to put the game out of reach or end the game. Who has the better advantage?

His D here has mirrored his D in Baltimore.

Very, very good during the Regular Season, inconsistent in the post-season and for whatever reason when the game is on the line, they come up short more so than they come up big.

All League
    One of the biggest criticisms of Rex as a D coordinator in Baltimore was his propensity to go into prevent defense

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    How is he a troll for reporting the facts?

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It's called not having a closer. With no DE or OLB who can pressure the QB, the Jets can not close out an opponent in desperation time. I remember in John Abraham's rookie season he would be brought out in the 4th quarter and close out games by putting tremendous pressure on the QB. It's a gift. Either you've got it, or you don't. No one on the Jets has it.
    Great point. That's it in a nutshell. Ah, the good ol days of the Sack Exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Great point. That's it in a nutshell. Ah, the good ol days of the Sack Exchange.
    We need a Demarcus Ware type, yea I know they don't grow on trees but can we please just get lucky once in the draft.
    Keep in mind that in Seattle, the Pats also had to deal with the crowd noise which is much harder when you run the type of check with me offense they play.
    Stopping Brady at home is REALLY HARD, you could here a pin drop.
    I don't know what his record is at home but it's so good people are writing books trying to figure out how they are cheating,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I agree, but since we don't have that closer then the coach has to scheme for that and not just rush 3 lineman and give the qb all the time in the world.

What's worse is how Rex's supreme confidence affect the offensive play calls at the end of a game because the O goes so conservative because Rex always thinks his D can make the stop.

Well 40% of the time they don't and that's why it is not an elite D.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 10-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.

That is pretty disturbing. Although the Giants have done it too and won a SB over that time period. I'm not sure what the answer is. Rex is a good defensive mind, maybe he needs to rethink his philosophy in these situations.

Funny that Dallas is in front by a mile when all you hear is about Romo choking. Rex, see that, do not do what your brother does either.

I have always thought that there were many times that the Jets just didn't have the killer instinct to put teams away for good. Let's also remember the times the offense has tried not to lose instead of trying to win games when we had the lead

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    That is pretty disturbing. Although the Giants have done it too and won a SB over that time period. I'm not sure what the answer is. Rex is a good defensive mind, maybe he needs to rethink his philosophy in these situations.

Funny that Dallas is in front by a mile when all you hear is about Romo choking. Rex, see that, do not do what your brother does either.
    The Giants won their 2 SB's because they were the last team with the ball. Does anyone really think that if Brady had more time the Pats wouldn't have won?

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    How is he a troll for reporting the facts?
    Just leave him alone as to reply to any of his comments would bring us down to his level

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    The Giants won their 2 SB's because they were the last team with the ball. Does anyone really think that if Brady had more time the Pats wouldn't have won?
    Ha, ha, great point. Brady went through them like butter to get the go ahead TD
    Brady is one zoned in mofo at the end of games when they need him
    Of course our fans are like, "they got two FGs, we can't stop a nose bleed"
    How many times have you seen kickers miss 48 yarders?
    Hell gostkowski missed in Seattle & in Baltimore.
    Cro had a chance for a pick on one of the drives
    We tipped a pass that luckily for them landed harmlessly
    Our offense should have went for the jugular!
    You do not play for FGs in Gillette vs Tom freaking Brady!
    END OF STORY
    We had our chances

And that last team on there shows that this stat means absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    And that last team on there shows that this stat means absolutely nothing.
    Disagree.... The GIANTS were lucky/fortunate to get IN the playoffs in 2007 and 2011. 10-6 and 9-7.

In the NFC East those years...that worked.