Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting stat on defense and end of game

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Since Ryan was hired in 2009, the Jets have allowed opponents to score on 40% of drives when they have the ball trailing by one score in the final three minutes—including Sunday's crushing overtime loss in Foxborough against the Patriots. The NFL average is 30%. And only three defenses have fared worse in these situations: Dallas (52.9%), Washington (42.1%) and the Giants (42.1%).
    The key IMO is that stat has little or nothing to with the offense or Sanchez.

One wonders what our record would be if that Stat were say reversed

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree.... The GIANTS were lucky/fortunate to get IN the playoffs in 2007 and 2011. 10-6 and 9-7.

In the NFC East those years...that worked.
    So? 2007 isn't even in the range of years that the OP originally presented.

The bottom line is that that stat means very little at the end of the day.

Especially in this case because all the Pats had to do was go 30-40 yds. to tie the game.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree.... The GIANTS were lucky/fortunate to get IN the playoffs in 2007 and 2011. 10-6 and 9-7.

In the NFC East those years...that worked.
    They definitely were lucky last year, Dallas choked (giving even more credence to this stat, lol)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Obviously the D has to come up bigger from time to time, but the O has the power to put the game out of reach or end the game. Who has the better advantage?
    No matter the thread you try and bring up this point despite the Jets having one of the weaker set of offfensive skill players in the entire NFL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Since Ryan was hired in 2009, the Jets have allowed opponents to score on 40% of drives when they have the ball trailing by one score in the final three minutes—including Sunday's crushing overtime loss in Foxborough against the Patriots. The NFL average is 30%. And only three defenses have fared worse in these situations: Dallas (52.9%), Washington (42.1%) and the Giants (42.1%).
    Link? Im sure there is more to that article that is worth reading.

I also think that this stat needs to be divided into certain categories, including the margin between the two teams (whether they need a field goal or a TD), the starting field position for the trailing team, and whether the score given up ties the score or does not.

A lot of variables with this statistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    And that last team on there shows that this stat means absolutely nothing.
    You mean you can't tell that holding onto the lead at the end of the game is a meaningful stat!!!!

Come on Man!!!!

This is the problem with our D. I know alot of people say our D is fine and we don't need to improve it and we blame everything on our terrible offense/ But if our defense is so elite why can't we get the big stop when it counts? You can be great for 45 minutes, but if you can't shut them down in the final drive, then there's a problem. We need closers.

And this isn't something new. This is a reoccuring theme. And There are many instances I can remember where our D failed us when it matter.

09 vs. Jacksonville - Our D allowed the Jags to drive down the field in the finals minutes and sit on the clock to kick a game winning FG.

09 vs. Atlanta - This one was very memorable for me. We had a lead the whole game. Our defense was dominating the Falcons for the 48 minutes. Then in the final 2 minutes we allow Matt Ryan to drive down the field for the game winning touchdown.

11 vs. Denver - We allowed a Denver offense lead by Tim Tebow to drive 95 yards down the field and score a touchdown to win the game.

12 vs. Miami - Yes we won that game. But that doesn't take away the fact that we allowed Miami to drive down the field at will in the closing minutes and in overtime. Had Dan Carpenter made that FG, our season would def be alot worse then it already is.

And let's not forget about our 2 playoff losses where it was the defense (not the offense) that failed us and allowed Indy & Pittsburgh to drive down the field at will. There are probably some other examples as well that I'm forgetting.

Face it; as great as we think our D is, if you can't stop your opponent when it counts then you aren't that great.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It's called not having a closer. With no DE or OLB who can pressure the QB, the Jets can not close out an opponent in desperation time. I remember in John Abraham's rookie season he would be brought out in the 4th quarter and close out games by putting tremendous pressure on the QB. It's a gift. Either you've got it, or you don't. No one on the Jets has it.
    Exactly.

The Jets presumably would have a 'closing' package other than the stupid prevent defense. But there isn't the personnel - especially at the end of game, in hurry up, when dudes are tired.

But - one should notice that the Giants - who have the best natural rush in the league - are even less effective than the Jets. So there has to be more to it also.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    This is the problem with our D. I know alot of people say our D is fine and we don't need to improve it and we blame everything on our terrible offense/ But if our defense is so elite why can't we get the big stop when it counts? You can be great for 45 minutes, but if you can't shut them down in the final drive, then there's a problem. We need closers.

And this isn't something new. This is a reoccuring theme. And There are many instances I can remember where our D failed us when it matter.

09 vs. Jacksonville - Our D allowed the Jags to drive down the field in the finals minutes and sit on the clock to kick a game winning FG.

09 vs. Atlanta - This one was very memorable for me. We had a lead the whole game. Our defense was dominating the Falcons for the 48 minutes. Then in the final 2 minutes we allow Matt Ryan to drive down the field for the game winning touchdown.

11 vs. Denver - We allowed a Denver offense lead by Tim Tebow to drive 95 yards down the field and score a touchdown to win the game.

12 vs. Miami - Yes we won that game. But that doesn't take away the fact that we allowed Miami to drive down the field at will in the closing minutes and in overtime. Had Dan Carpenter made that FG, our season would def be alot worse then it already is.

And let's not forget about our 2 playoff losses where it was the defense (not the offense) that failed us and allowed Indy & Pittsburgh to drive down the field at will. There are probably some other examples as well that I'm forgetting.

Face it; as great as we think our D is, if you can't stop your opponent when it counts then you aren't that great.
    Yea but posters are saying none of these things matter!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    You mean you can't tell that holding onto the lead at the end of the game is a meaningful stat!!!!

Come on Man!!!!
    No it does TO AN EXTENT. As the Giants showed us.

Plus, as I said, there are so many variables with that stat that need to be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Yea but posters are saying none of these things matter!!!!
    Did it? AFC Championship in '09.

Tebow was doing that to everybody, including the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Chicago Bears

And you can't use a victory to support that argument.

Any team that goes with a 3 man rush late in a game when the other team has little time and needs to get yardage in chunks is brain dead stupid and playing scared. rex was upset when someone said the sacred comment but it was 100% relevant.

Dropping linebackers into a 10 yard zone when the other team has to either throw long than that or has a game with crossing routes where the backers will get burned is totally useless.

Rex chokes in those situations, just like he did in Baltimore when he called a time out that prevented the Ravens from beating the pats and ending their undefeated regular season.

The term 'no guts, no glory' is very appropriate for how this team plays defense at the end of a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Any team that goes with a 3 man rush late in a game when the other team has little time and needs to get yardage in chunks is brain dead stupid and playing scared. rex was upset when someone said the sacred comment but it was 100% relevant.

Dropping linebackers into a 10 yard zone when the other team has to either throw long than that or has a game with crossing routes where the backers will get burned is totally useless.

Rex chokes in those situations, just like he did in Baltimore when he called a time out that prevented the Ravens from beating the pats and ending their undefeated regular season.

The term 'no guts, no glory' is very appropriate for how this team plays defense at the end of a game.
    And yet I see a lot of coaches do it besides Rex. Its called the prevent defense.

Hall Of Fame
    I am not sure why this stat should be a shock to anyone. If you have watched this team over Rex's tenure, you have witnessed this defense fail in crucial spots. They allowed the Patriots to march down the field like it was a 7 on 7 drill on Sunday. Then they allowed a 13 play drive in over time.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am not sure why this stat should be a shock to anyone. If you have watched this team over Rex's tenure, you have witnessed this defense fail in crucial spots. They allowed the Patriots to march down the field like it was a 7 on 7 drill on Sunday. Then they allowed a 13 play drive in over time.
    What did that 13 play drive lead to? A field goal.

To hold Tom Brady and that offense to FGs is a big success in my book.

While the argument can be made, Sunday's game should not be included, due to mitigating circumstances.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Agree 100%. Especially against the Pats and Brady, if history has showed us anything, it is that Brady will eat anyone alive when being rushed by 3 guys and looking at a zone. Rex didnt have the balls to go win the game, just like running on first and second down after the fumble. Gutless football.

And yet I see a lot of coaches do it besides Rex. Its called the prevent defense.
    Prevent defense only prevents you from winning

Bad D's do NOT give up game winning TD's in the closing minutes because teams with bad D's get blown out. The key to closing out a close game on D with the clock running out is pressuring the QB. Unfortunately, this is something the Jets do not do well. Basically, the Jets have a very good D with one glaring weakness, they lack a pass rusher. (in reality, the gholtsn pick is still killing us.)

Hall Of Fame
    What did that 13 play drive lead to? A field goal.

To hold Tom Brady and that offense to FGs is a big success in my book.
    Of course it is for YOU. You started a moral victory thread seconds after the game. You have no expectations for this team, and are content watching the Jets lose a game they could have won.