Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Interesting stat on defense and end of game

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yup, and just because others are stupid does not mean we should be stupid.

I know that to some it's okay for the jets to have dumb play calling or bad QB's just because other teams have. I expect a 'defensive genius' to be better than the average schlep.
    I'd say between the youth and the older guys that's what they are working with, not many household names.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    I agree with not having a pass rush, but how did you come to that conclusion from the data set?

The other three teams worse than us have had DWare, JPP/Osi/Tuck, and Orakpo...

I think this is more about Rex playing a Mangini style defense with the game on the line, more than its about lack of a true pass rusher.
    I'm just saying that was the Jets problem. The other teams difficulties may be more related to their secondary.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yup, and just because others are stupid does not mean we should be stupid.

I know that to some it's okay for the jets to have dumb play calling or bad QB's just because other teams have. I expect a 'defensive genius' to be better than the average schlep.
    A lot of people have made the point that it's not about just a pass rush - because the teams even worse than us have better rushes.

Part of it is certainly the scheme, being in a prevent - but on the personnel side we always have a soft spot - and that's covering the TE and slot WR. That's how NE marched down on us to tie the game.

If you are going to run a prevent defense, you've got to leave the QB no easy choice, no high-percentage play. That's where we fall down IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    A lot of people have made the point that it's not about just a pass rush - because the teams even worse than us have better rushes.

Part of it is certainly the scheme, being in a prevent - but on the personnel side we always have a soft spot - and that's covering the TE and slot WR. That's how NE marched down on us to tie the game.

If you are going to run a prevent defense, you've got to leave the QB no easy choice, no high-percentage play. That's where we fall down IMO.
    having 8 guys in coverage and not stopping them on one play in 2 consecutive drives is alarming. at what point does rex take responsibility for the defense's failure in crunch time?

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    This is the problem with our D. I know alot of people say our D is fine and we don't need to improve it and we blame everything on our terrible offense/ But if our defense is so elite why can't we get the big stop when it counts? You can be great for 45 minutes, but if you can't shut them down in the final drive, then there's a problem. We need closers.

And this isn't something new. This is a reoccuring theme. And There are many instances I can remember where our D failed us when it matter.

09 vs. Jacksonville - Our D allowed the Jags to drive down the field in the finals minutes and sit on the clock to kick a game winning FG.

09 vs. Atlanta - This one was very memorable for me. We had a lead the whole game. Our defense was dominating the Falcons for the 48 minutes. Then in the final 2 minutes we allow Matt Ryan to drive down the field for the game winning touchdown.

11 vs. Denver - We allowed a Denver offense lead by Tim Tebow to drive 95 yards down the field and score a touchdown to win the game.

12 vs. Miami - Yes we won that game. But that doesn't take away the fact that we allowed Miami to drive down the field at will in the closing minutes and in overtime. Had Dan Carpenter made that FG, our season would def be alot worse then it already is.

And let's not forget about our 2 playoff losses where it was the defense (not the offense) that failed us and allowed Indy & Pittsburgh to drive down the field at will. There are probably some other examples as well that I'm forgetting.

Face it; as great as we think our D is, if you can't stop your opponent when it counts then you aren't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I just can't get behind the specific examples you brought up

Of course you can't 'cause this actually shows LEGIT evidence that the Defense has STUNK when it counts(and it takes attention away from your continuous diatribe toward the QB......and you don't like that, do you? )

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Since Ryan was hired in 2009, the Jets have allowed opponents to score on 40% of drives when they have the ball trailing by one score in the final three minutes—including Sunday's crushing overtime loss in Foxborough against the Patriots. The NFL average is 30%. And only three defenses have fared worse in these situations: Dallas (52.9%), Washington (42.1%) and the Giants (42.1%).
    Thanks for the actual info/evidence. It's what I have been saying this week and last yr too. Rex's D can't close out games for Wins like a self proclaimed D genius that Rex says he is.

I'm not sure if it's because they go into a prevent defense and loose their aggresiveness and if it's Rex' defensive philosophy