Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Namath: 10/22

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe usually tells it like it is, that's why I liked him calling Jet games.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe is the man. Go back to Hard Knocks and he was giving good advice, kind of pooh poohed by Rex and Co (or more like they were just patronizing him). They should get him on the payroll as a QB consultant. He's got lots of great insight.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Honestly you are right...

Joe also said that Sanchez doesn't look mature out there and acts unsure on the field at crtical moments. Steve Young also had simalar criticism.

Bu Joe's main point was that Sanchez has a poor group around him and it is making him press!!! That Joe was wondering where are all of the players that the Jets drafted on this team who are ready to step up? He essentially called out Mr. T.

He also had some questions for Rex for wanting the offense to go conservative at the end of the game.

Hard to disagree with the body of what he said.....
    +1

All around, the guy isn't a dummy. He knows the game. Fans don't want to hear it because the truth hurts sometimes. Our offensive talent sucks. Just a fact. Our defensive talent outside of a couple players is mediocre.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Honestly you are right...

Joe also said that Sanchez doesn't look mature out there and acts unsure on the field at crtical moments. Steve Young also had simalar criticism.

Bu Joe's main point was that Sanchez has a poor group around him and it is making him press!!! That Joe was wondering where are all of the players that the Jets drafted on this team who are ready to step up? He essentially called out Mr. T.

He also had some questions for Rex for wanting the offense to go conservative at the end of the game.

Hard to disagree with the body of what he said.....
    The comments you point to are valid, but it's like Shaq explaining why an NBA player is not hitting his free throws. Yeah, he was a great player, and won championships, but he sucked at free throws so STFU. Namath NEVER protected the ball. There were never any risks that were too great to take regardless of the score, down, or location on the field. I truly get aggravated when he gives critiques from the vantage point of being "all-knowing" without at least acknowledging he was worse at taking care of the ball than even Sanchez is.

Namath causes me to have horrible conflicting emotions. I want to love him, but than he says $hit that completely contradicts who he actually was as a player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, even if he's wrong about the rules for reviewing a scoring play, I agree with Joe that Gronkowski's TD catch looked like it was being fumbled around while he was still in bounds. I think it should have been reviewed, at a minimum, but as CBS is wont to do when the Pats play, they don't show replays that might cast them in a negative light.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    By the way, even if he's wrong about the rules for reviewing a scoring play, I agree with Joe that Gronkowski's TD catch looked like it was being fumbled around while he was still in bounds. I think it should have been reviewed, at a minimum, but as CBS is wont to do when the Pats play, they don't show replays that might cast them in a negative light.
    It WAS reviewed. By rule every scoring play and turnover is automatically reviewed.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=249787

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no desire to listen to Joe's ramblings for the purposes of keeping himself relevant and for the media's purposes of giving him air time to generate more controversy.

That being said, I fail to see how in any way shape or form, the safety was Sanchez's fault.

He takes the snap, turns his back to make the handoff to Greene and the Defender bull rushes Slausson so bad that they crash into Sanchez and Greene as the handoff is being made.

Sanchez couldn't see that behind him and can't expected to see that.

At some point, you have to have faith that your o-line is going to give you a mere second to turn and hand the ball off.

But again....everything is Sanchez's fault....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I have no desire to listen to Joe's ramblings for the purposes of keeping himself relevant and for the media's purposes of giving him air time to generate more controversy.

That being said, I fail to see how in any way shape or form, the safety was Sanchez's fault.

He takes the snap, turns his back to make the handoff to Greene and the Defender bull rushes Slausson so bad that they crash into Sanchez and Greene as the handoff is being made.

Sanchez couldn't see that behind him and can't expected to see that.

At some point, you have to have faith that your o-line is going to give you a mere second to turn and hand the ball off.

But again....everything is Sanchez's fault....
    If you listen to the interview you will hear Steve Young is critical of Sanchez too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Too bad Namath couldn't see his own shortcomings as well as he sees Sanchez's. The Jets would have won 2, maybe even 3, superbowls.
    You signed him.

Should have done a better job protecting your investment.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You signed him.

lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    He's the best passer I've ever seen. No one is even close. But his talent led him to take unnecessary risk. In the season prior to the SB win, the Jets should have won the division but for Namath blowing leads by taking too many risks.
    I agree nobody could throw a ball like Joe, mechanically speaking. Marino is the closest I have ever seen to his release and arm strength. But Joe played on a lot of $hit teams with $hit O lines after the Championship team, and took too many chances throwing into coverage.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You signed him.

Namath was damaged goods after injuring his knee in the Orange Bowl. Most doctors thought he could play for 4 years before his knee would force him to retire, but he was a marquee name and Sonny Werblin knew the value of a star player when competing for relevancy in NY. Weeb Ewbank than proceeded to build a Juggernaut around Namath. Maynard, Boozer, Snell, Sauer, and Lammons along with Namath are probably the best set of skill players ever to play together on any Jet team. The O-line was solid and the D was spectacular. Only namath's immaturity and gambling instincts stood in the way.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    If you listen to the interview you will hear Steve Young is critical of Sanchez too
    F' Steve Young too....