Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    A sense of community!
    LOL yeah, a big warm hampurwide hug. My oldest friend in the world -- I grew up next door to him -- basically lost everything. He works for Keyspan so during the storm his wife and kids were home without him. I'd do anything and everything to help them out. I wouldn't expect someone who puts the "man" in manicure to understand what it means to step up. Some communities are actually better off if people like that stay out of the way in a crisis. Besides, it's a great time for dweebs like that to instagram more Christmas photos of their poolboy's kids for our amusement.

All League
    Legal question - if a boat lands in your yard, do you get to keep it?

Hope everyone is alright. My family and neighborhood was spared. My neighbor gassed p his generator on Sunday, knowing that we would only lose power if he didn't. My power went off for a second, and reset the temperamental stove clock. So I reset the time. Power went out for another second about 7 pm, and the damn clock went out. So I reset it. The power went out for a second a third time, and I left it to blink "PF" the rest of the night, and we didn't lose power again. I outsmarted the fvckers.

But seriously, I hope you Hampurites affected are all safe, and doing Ok.

All League
    Hurricane Sandy Comes Ashore

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Legal question - if a boat lands in your yard, do you get to keep it?
    Existential question - If a boat lands in your yard, would you want to keep it?

Echo on the best wishes to everyone. My wife spent most of the day trying to contact her sister in Hewlett. They just got power back a little bit ago.

Just got back from being forced to see Taken 2.... would have been nice if the power went out during that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Just got back from being forced to see Taken 2.... would have been nice if the power went out during that movie.
    I fell asleep during it. Horrible.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    holy crap - I think you just won the Irony Mike Award

you don't eat children, do you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Roll call?

Paulie?
    Stokes?
    JW?

All Pro
    Just a fyi - Nebraska was spared

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Roll call?

Paulie?
    Stokes?
    JW?
    Fishooked?

Borgo?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    We're alive, after a pretty harrowing night sleeping on the ground floor. Listening to the sound of trees shattered and just waiting for the large crash, signaling a fall onto the house.

Rolled the dice and left the car out, got lucky.
    Must have lost close to 12-15 trees on my property, none of which hit the house.

This doesnt really do it justice, but this is a before and after pic

[IMG][/IMG]

Word has it our town had a substation that blew; we could be looking at 7-10-16 days without power. I've never felt so afraid for the safety of my own family as I do right now.

The gasoline shortages weigh heavily on my mind right now. If the stations that do have power run out, things will get ugly fast.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    We're alive, after a pretty harrowing night sleeping on the ground floor. Listening to the sound of trees shattered and just waiting for the large crash, signaling a fall onto the house.

Must have lost close to 12-15 trees on my property, none of which hit the house.

This doesnt really do it justice, but this is a before and after pic

[IMG][/IMG]

Word has it our town had a substation that blew; we could be looking at 7-10-16 days without power. I've never felt so afraid for the safety of my own family as I do right now.

The gasoline shortages weigh heavily on my mind right now. If the stations that do have power run out, things will get ugly fast.
    Glad you guys are safe and house intact.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Glad you're ok my fellow Fishy.

Stay inside, work from home (if you can), wait for power and the like to get restored. Going out and about is probably not the best idea for a few days.

I'm worried about my grandmother. Have been unable to get through to her (I think she's in Babylon area on L.I.). She has two on my uncles living with her, but she's in her 80's, has one lung, etc. She's the only grandparent I have left.

Best to all of you guys up there. Check in if you can.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My pictures dont really do this storm any justice...I drove around a mile to go to my sisters house, and it was like literally playing 'limbo', where you could see if your car could fit underneath the trees that were laying across power lines, suspended in mid-air.

It was like Russian Roulette, where you wondered if your car was the car that the tree would fall on top of.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We're alive, *****es.

We actually made it through the storm safe and sound. There was some tree damage around town but e storm spared us. Just a mile east, though, is a flooded war zone. The shore is an absolute mess. Bridges, stores, bars, places where we go eat and hang out all the time -- it's all gone. The main road along the ocean, Ocean Ave, is covered with 3 feet of sand.

The only problem is we don't have power. My parents do, and I'm posting from there, so hopefully we'll get it back soon. On gunnails's suggestion (seriously) I stocked up on firewood and we've been able to keep warm.

Totally crazy storm. I've never seen a hurricane hit us head on like this. Usually it'd make landfall in e Carolinas or something and it would wander lazily up the coast. We got hammered directly.

All League
    Condescending Jupiter

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My pictures dont really do this storm any justice...I drove around a mile to go to my sisters house, and it was like literally playing 'limbo', where you could see if your car could fit underneath the trees that were laying across power lines, suspended in mid-air.

It was like Russian Roulette, where you wondered if your car was the car that the tree would fall on top of.
    Exactly. Getting through this storm unscathed was a mere stroke of luck.

Based on previous experiences people tend to get a bit "squirrelly" after about the 3rd or 4th day without power/hot water or other such things. If you have a reliable shelter, water, food you should be able to hang tough for awhile.

Don't be afraid to seek out Red Cross as needed. I found them entirely more helpful than FEMA (forgot what name they have now). I won't go on a rant about FEMA as its been a few years since I dealt with them so maybe they've improved.

Seek out Red Cross if you're not sure what to do or if you feel it's not safe for your family. Excellent organization.

Oh - glad all you blokes have made it thru. Keep on being safe!
    Last edited by frostlich; 10-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Exactly. Getting through this storm unscathed was a mere stroke of luck.
    I haven't seen any pictures of NYC or the NJ shore areas yet; frankly I almost don't want to. I was able to make it into work today and use the showers here (they a fitness center and locker rooms, insert towel-snapping ghey jokes here) and actually attempt to work, but my mind is at home thinking of the wife and kids, and what we're going to do next.

I don't know what that is yet.

I just hope we got enough out-of-state help.