Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not, but this is JCP&L's outage map

http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got power back last night. 75% of Long Island is still out. Kinda feel guilty.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hopefully everyone pulled through OK.

No electricity, no heat for me but things can be worse.

Count your blessings.
    I hear you, I just have major anxiety over this gas situation more than anything else. It's only a matter of time before someone on these gas lines reaches their breaking point and just snaps. Things can get ugly.

It's a shame that scumbags in certain areas have already resorted to looting. This is some ****ed up ****.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back to work today. Good to be back (sort of).

We lost power during the storm, and it still hasn't come back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Just got back to work today. Good to be back (sort of).

We lost power during the storm, and it still hasn't come back.
    I went to the office yesterday, but it was rather pointless as I'm lucky enough to work from home. Now Im actually mad at myself for wasting the gas to drive there and back.

I've now setup shop with the family at my sisters house in Vernon NJ.
    Surprised they have power considering the sheer number of trees in this neck of the woods (so to speak).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which big named singer will create the first song and melodramatic video of hurricane victims high-fiving and helping each other clean up wreckage? Springsteen, Mellencamp?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still alot (too many) Hampurites we've yet to hear from.

Continued best wishes to them, and hope they can pop in and let us know they're ok.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I went to the office yesterday, but it was rather pointless as I'm lucky enough to work from home. Now Im actually mad at myself for wasting the gas to drive there and back.

I've now setup shop with the family at my sisters house in Vernon NJ.
    Surprised they have power considering the sheer number of trees in this neck of the woods (so to speak).
    It's funny how things turned out. My brother lives more towards the middle of LI, I'm south of Sunrise Hwy. My parents are right on the water.

I have no power, my brother has no power. My parents are up and running no problem, and didn't get a drop of water in their basement.

My boss wasn't so lucky. She lives in Massapequa. Her house got completely flooded.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT View Post
    Which big named singer will create the first song and melodramatic video of hurricane victims high-fiving and helping each other clean up wreckage? Springsteen, Mellencamp?
    These guys are still big-named? And when were they ever "singers?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A few pics from around my neighborhood. Most blocks look like this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    well that sucked major ass, and I mean in NOT the good way.

5ft of water in the street; people riding by on jetskis (really? during a storm??? )

one of our trees fell over. both cars dead and prolly totalled. 6in of water in den, 14in in garage, 12in in basement. all my son's collectables(Hot Wheels cars) - ruined. Comic books destroyed. $1700 damage to boiler.

My Camaro.
    F uck you Sandy you b itch.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

5ft of water in the street; people riding by on jetskis (really? during a storm??? )

one of our trees fell over. both cars dead and prolly totalled. 6in of water in den, 14in in garage, 12in in basement. all my son's collectables(Hot Wheels cars) - ruined. Comic books destroyed. $1700 damage to boiler.

My Camaro.
    Q that is terrible; your Camaro - all that - condolences.

Oceanside?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

My Camaro.

Holy **** man.....that's pretty goddamn **** ty list of problems.
    Best to you and your family.

I believe the appropriate term for Sandy is 'Thunderc unt'

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Q that is terrible; your Camaro - all that - condolences.

Oceanside?
    Baldwin Harbor. Most of my neighbors had 8 ft of water in their basements.

Maybe God took pity on a former Jets fan? We'll never know....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

Holy **** man.....that's pretty goddamn **** ty list of problems.
    Best to you and your family.

I believe the appropriate term for Sandy is 'Thunderc unt'
    thx Fish. at least everyone is safe. Us and the neighbors did the survivalist thing scouting for ice, using the BBQ grills, etc. yesterday a sweage line broke 2 blocks away in what is now known as Sh itsville (Brownsville?).

Night of the storm: about 1/2 mile away, a transformer broke loose swung down hit a house, and it blew up. luckily no one home. we saw the bluish glow from our house. Lots of people worse off.

One guys house had his dock on his lawn. a freaking dock! saw a sailboat standing up in the mud! holy ****.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Baldwin Harbor. Most of my neighbors had 8 ft of water in their basements.

Maybe God took pity on a former Jets fan? We'll never know....
    God has ****ed with us enough. He OWES us a Super Bowl now.
    But since Im a Vikings fan, and you're a Texans fans, I guess it doesn't matter...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn Q.. glad everyone made it though safe, but... damn.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

My Camaro.
    terribly sorry to heat that Q.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this has been posted, but hopefully the fact that Sandy is not being treated as a hurricane will be helpful to those who really need their insurance coverage to kick in as much as possible - I know JW brought this up earlier in the thread.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49641797

The fact that Hurricane Sandy was downgraded to a “Post-Tropical Cyclone” before it made landfall on the East Coast will save homeowners potentially thousands of dollars in home insurance deductibles.

Getty Images
    Homes in Seaside Heights, N.J.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Jersey’s Department of Banking and Insurance Acting Commissioner Ken Kobylowski communicated that to the insurance industry Tuesday night and New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the same Thursday morning.

“Homeowners should not have to pay hurricane deductibles for damage caused by the storm and insurers should understand the Department of Financial Services will be monitoring how claims are handled,” Governor Cuomo said in a release. (Read More: For Builders, the Storm is Good for Business.)

How is a hurricane deductible different from your basic homeowner policy deductible? It is based on a percentage of your property’s insured value, and it can be up to 5 percent. So let’s say your home is insured for $300,000. That’s a $15,000 deductible, which is likely far higher than your regular deductible. The average homeowner deductible is between $500 and $1000.

“We have informed the insurance industry that hurricane deductibles are not triggered because Sandy did not have sustained hurricane-force winds when it made land in New York,” noted NY’s Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky in the release. “We will be working with insurers to help them respond as quickly as possible to homeowners who need to file claims. And we will be sending our mobile command center to hard hit areas to help consumers with insurance questions and problems.”

(Read More: Trains Roll, but Northeast Struggles Back From Sandy.)

There is very specific language in homeowner insurance policies in terms of hurricane deductibles. Usually the storm has to reach specific wind speeds to trigger the deductible. A state governor couldn’t necessarily override that private contract.

RELATED LINKS
    Current DateTime: 09:14:13 01 Nov 2012
    LinksList Documentid: 49641843
    Boost for Builders
    Sandy Will Boost Self-Storage Space
    Scenes From Sandy
    Complete Coverage of Sandy

“The way the insurers look at it is that this is a private contract between the insurer and the policy holder, and the policy as written is going to be enforced,” noted Michael Barry of the Insurance Information Institute. “In this case Sandy does not appear to have reached the threshold to activate the hurricane deductible.”

The insurance companies probably didn’t need Governor Cuomo’s directive as such, since they were already doing their own assessments immediately following the storm. (Read More: Sandy's Economic Cost: Up to $50 Billion and Counting.)

“We have done a review of the best available National Weather Service data and compared that to our language, and we have determined that the hurricane deductible will not apply in those states,” said State Farm spokesman Phil Supple.

As for how much the difference in the deductibles will cost the nation’s insurance companies, that is impossible to calculate at this point, as the companies are still waiting to get in to the hardest hit areas and tally the damage. It is also, as Supple added, “moot” to do any figuring, as they higher deductible clearly doesn’t apply.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that there will be No Deductibles for everyone b.c there was a order signed by the government.