Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    yeah, I blew it, didn't take a receipt or snap a pic with my phone
    I'm sure somebody did

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    5th night in a row of at least a dozen teenagers crashing here. Power is supposed to come back to the rest of the town on Wednesday, we are among the only 5% of the town with power. If you have power, open your homes. A hot meal and a hot shower are priceless to so many. Spent much of the day down in the area closer to the water, it's like Armageddon. Places where I spent much of my youth are simply gone.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    K

A half hour you say?

Where is this guy so I can....gut him.

-
    just saw a tweet, Citgo on Sunrise in Rockville Center just opened and is pumping the juice

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was in the Midland Beach section of SI tonight to help a friend start clearing out his house. The whole area is a disaster. He's a good mile from the beach and the high water mark on his house was around 7 feet!!! It's insane! Had a bit of a scare as the neighbor had his main gas valve at the meter give way (yes, the gas is still on). Other than that, glacial progress.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    What is it that you do, exactly? Aside from part-time :cane_shaker:

Isn't it obvious? He's a door to door hammock salesman.

Seems like most, if not all the hampurites in the affected areas have checked in and are safe, at least. Very sorry to hear about the damage to homes, cars, etc. I blame Timmy and his cronies, personally.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spoke to my cousin in the Rockaways. They stayed because of her husband's job. they have no power, barely any food, no heat, home was flooded and they are afraid if they leave, the f*cking scumbag looters will take everything the were able to save.

Never mind the fact that they have no car anymore or for that matter roads to drive on.

Really makes my dealing with no power seem mighty insignificant.

I offered to buy food and hike it in if necessary. She said no but i am thinking of trying it tomorrow anyway.

Makes me remember how lucky I am.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Spoke to my cousin in the Rockaways. They stayed because of her husband's job. they have no power, barely any food, no heat, home was flooded and they are afraid if they leave, the f*cking scumbag looters will take everything the were able to save.

Never mind the fact that they have no car anymore or for that matter roads to drive on.

Really makes my dealing with no power seem mighty insignificant.

I offered to buy food and hike it in if necessary. She said no but i am thinking of trying it tomorrow anyway.

Makes me remember how lucky I am.
    That's insane. These stories of looting, price gouging, union workers preventing non-union volunteers from helping out...wtf happened to "We're all Americans" and helping your neighbor in a time of need? If what's happening is a true picture of who we are as a people it's not a pretty sight.

In all these posts I haven't heard anything to suggest a significant response from the federal government. Can anyone speak to whether the National Guard is deployed and helping out on the scene? Katrina they were screaming about the lack of federal response while the storm was still going on. Here it's five days after Sandy and I haven't heard ****.
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 11-03-2012 at 10:42 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    That's insane. These stories of looting, price gouging, union workers preventing non-union volunteers from helping out...wtf happened to "We're all Americans" and helping your neighbor in a time of need? If what's happening is a true picture of who we are as a people it's not a pretty sight.

In all these posts I haven't heard anything to suggest a significant response from the federal government. Can anyone speak to whether the National Guard is deployed and helping out on the scene? Katrina they were screaming about the lack of federal response while the storm was still going on. Here it's five days after Sandy and I haven't heard ****.
    ================================================== ==
    I wont vouch for this as legit, but the story says Bloomberg will not let the Guard in because they are armed and such.
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blu...their-possessi

“We don’t need it,” Mayor Bloomberg said on Wednesday during a press update on the city’s ongoing Hurricane Sandy cleanup. “The NYPD is the only people we want on the street with guns.”

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    At least you have, what, 200-300 cases of your home brew to get you through, right?

Hope your power comes on soon. I have been in your situation many times. Do you have hot and running water?
    Yeah the wife and I have been killing the homebrew all week. Lord knows how many pounds I've put on.

We have running water, but not hot water. Our water heater is electric. Luckily my parents have everything working. We've been showering at their house. The worst thing is all of the food we've thrown out from our fridge and freezer.

But I really can't complain. So many are suffering right now. We're merely inconvenienced.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ================================================== ==
    I wont vouch for this as legit, but the story says Bloomberg will not let the Guard in because they are armed and such.
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blu...their-possessi
    Thats ****ed up man. Can't the governor overrule him on such things?
    Maybe they should shoot some ****ing looters... I bet that would stop the problem.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they should shoot some ****ing looters... I bet that would stop the problem.
    +1000000
    If I remember correctly there were some looters shot down here by business owners and police
    But then again everybody here seems to own a gun

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ==============================================

It is possible that the Mayor is doing the right thing, I'm not qualified to answer that question.

It should be noted that....
    "More than 10,000 National Guard troops in 13 states have been mobilized to assist in the response to Hurricane Sandy, including more than 2,200 who are assisting with recovery efforts in New York." Guard troops are also in New York City to some degree
    Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blu...#ixzz2BDl0qn50

Props to the NG!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update on the Rockaways...

Spoke to my cousin and apparently they have now cleared the roads of all the sand and debris. They aren't great but passible. Unfortunately all the cars are destroyed so nobody can leave to get stuff. She said I on't believe how bad it is down there.

I offered to have them stay with us despite the fact that we have no power. But we have a generator. But its not just the looters, she is also caring for others. I even offered to drive her here for a shower and lunch. She politely declined. They have no hot water.

I have a list of things they need. Things you tske for granted like toilet paper. But also food and ice. They are all sharing. Going shopping in the morning and then heading down there.

She also said there is an aircraft carrier off shore. Armed forces are there. helicopters overhead. She said it looks like Afghanistan.

They also got a few things from the red cross and other charitable organizations.

I'll take pictures.
    Last edited by crossfire; 11-04-2012 at 12:14 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to my cousin and apparently they have now cleared the roads of all the sand and debris. They aren't great but passible. Unfortunately all the cars are destroyed so nobody can leave to get stuff. She said I on't believe how bad it is down there.

I offered to have them stay with us despite the fact that we have no power. But we have a generator. But its not just the looters, she is also caring for others. I even offered to drive her here for a shower and lunch. She politely declined. They have no hot water.

I have a list of things they need. Things you tske for granted like toilet paper. But also food and ice. They are all sharing. Going shopping in the morning and then heading down there.

She also said there is an aircraft carrier off shore. Armed forces are there. helicopters overhead. She said it looks like Afghanistan.

They also got a few things from the red cross and other charitable organizations.

I'll take pictures.
    Awesome. Go USA! I hope that every gas station owner found guilty of price gouging is prosocuted, fined up the ass, and then stripped of his business.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take pictures.
    It sounds like ****in Mad Max.

My family and I were so lucky.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Yeah the wife and I have been killing the homebrew all week. Lord knows how many pounds I've put on.

We have running water, but not hot water. Our water heater is electric. Luckily my parents have everything working. We've been showering at their house. The worst thing is all of the food we've thrown out from our fridge and freezer.

But I really can't complain. So many are suffering right now. We're merely inconvenienced.
    My mom lives alone and is in similar situation on LI. 72 and she considers herself lucky.
    Has enough gasoline in the car to get to my sisters to shower etc... wont leave her home though. Stubborn.

Good Luck to all you guys.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So is there anyone in need of donations, such as clothes, kids toys, etc?
    I don't have much, but I'm sure I could mail a package our to someone if they are in need of anything?

I've also PM'd Sooth to see if there was some way that we or JI could do some sort of fundraiser/charity type of deal.

I don't know the first thing about this sort of thing (since I'm such a 'people' person), but the easiest way to gather monetary donations would be through Paypal. From there I don't think there is a specific charity to designate to help NY/NJ/CT families, but it could get donated to the Red Cross.

Just thinking out loud here (do you smell the smoke?)...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing, Fish. I feel so helpless down here. I'd love to be able to DO something.

I wish I could bake a hot meal and give it to someone. Obviously that won't work, but I could send a package of necessities or anything to anyone who needs it. Does anyone know where to send things, or if you know someone in particular who needs something?

Donating money is a definite. Red Cross, Salvation Army, others, some you can just text a number to donate. But I'm also more hands-on and wish I could help directly.

Last edited by Lone Star Lady; 11-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Was in the Midland Beach section of SI tonight to help a friend start clearing out his house. The whole area is a disaster. He's a good mile from the beach and the high water mark on his house was around 7 feet!!! It's insane! Had a bit of a scare as the neighbor had his main gas valve at the meter give way (yes, the gas is still on). Other than that, glacial progress.

Yikes.

Unfortunately things are not going to be fast at all. Once we start rebuilding there will be a shortage of building materials and contractors or at least good ones. That is when the there will be even more headaches. But the important thing right now is getting these people out of the cold weather and getting them food and clothes and some shelter.

I was wondering what they plan on doing for all the people up here. They should set up a trailer park type thing for people to live in. They did some of that in New Orleans. It is going to be years before most people get houses. The ones that can live with their families are lucky.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So is there anyone in need of donations, such as clothes, kids toys, etc?
    I don't have much, but I'm sure I could mail a package our to someone if they are in need of anything?

I've also PM'd Sooth to see if there was some way that we or JI could do some sort of fundraiser/charity type of deal.

I don't know the first thing about this sort of thing (since I'm such a 'people' person), but the easiest way to gather monetary donations would be through Paypal. From there I don't think there is a specific charity to designate to help NY/NJ/CT families, but it could get donated to the Red Cross.

Just thinking out loud here (do you smell the smoke?)...
    Police and Fire here collected a truckload of stuff yesterday, on its way today. Nonperisable food, water, clothes, toiletries.

Probably just a drop in the bucket but hopefully it gets to the people that need it.

EVERY supermarket and clothing store SHOULD have a sign on the way in asking people to donate a few items and have a collection area on the way out. Imagine if everyone just gave an item or two.

Won't happen though because people suck.