Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    At least - it does not look good. Especially when they throw around the word 'stall' - if that thing stalls off the coast or something...we're doomed.
    there was a time I wasn't worried about my home during these things, but now that Hurricane Irene literally washed away houses twenty minutes from here, i'm a bit more concerned.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Man, Ragu was made for that film series.

ASIDE: Short hair and all, how gorgeous is Ashley Greene in that shot (our left). Good lord.

I'll think about Ashley should the power go out.

[

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Ha ha ha that's Tex Cobb, right? lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not happy. Teh Bunker is in the early stages of evacuation in anticipation of the Mother Nature sh!tstorm.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Man, Ragu was made for that film series.

ASIDE: Short hair and all, how gorgeous is Ashley Greene in that shot (our left). Good lord.

I'll think about Ashley should the power go out.

[
    Google 'Ashley Green sobe' and or 'ashley green sobe skinsuit'

You'll thank me later

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This storm sounds like its going to be a real *****. I hope it's a lot of media hype and not much else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    This storm sounds like its going to be a real *****. I hope it's a lot of media hype and not much else.
    I dont know man, of course they love to play it up, but even the independent weather services are saying this is going to suck balls.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I dont know man, of course they love to play it up, but even the independent weather services are saying this is going to suck balls.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    even the independent weather services are saying this is going to suck balls.

Suck balls?

Are you sure you had the right channel?

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Suck balls?

Are you sure you had the right channel?

-
    LOLz

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    A real problem with the media in recent (let's say, 10) years...they hype potentially bad weather so much to gain ratings that a lot of people like me simply don't trust them any more. Which leads to complacency that could result in serious **** in the case of truly bad weather.

I live on the ocean. If I had a better arm I could literally hit surf with a stone thrown from my back yard. My guess is even if the worst of worst predictions come true, if you don't live in a low lying flood zone type area on the coast or inland you'll be fine. The wind will be in the 40s to 50s, topple trees and down power lines as it usually does. Depending on where you live and how your foundation is constructed you might get quite a bit of water in your basement. But I've never heard of water in the basement killing anyone.

For those who like to panic, go buy 30 loaves of bread, 50 gallons of milk, and 500 D cell batteries if it makes you feel better. But I don't expect this to be a serious problem for most people.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    A real problem with the media in recent (let's say, 10) years...they hype potentially bad weather so much to gain ratings that a lot of people like me simply don't trust them any more. Which leads to complacency that could result in serious **** in the case of truly bad weather.

I live on the ocean. If I had a better arm I could literally hit surf with a stone thrown from my back yard. My guess is even if the worst of worst predictions come true, if you don't live in a low lying flood zone type area on the coast or inland you'll be fine. The wind will be in the 40s to 50s, topple trees and down power lines as it usually does. Depending on where you live and how your foundation is constructed you might get quite a bit of water in your basement. But I've never heard of water in the basement killing anyone.

For those who like to panic, go buy 30 loaves of bread, 50 gallons of milk, and 500 D cell batteries if it makes you feel better. But I don't expect this to be a serious problem for most people.

Agreed about the media.

Funny...last year when the hurricane was approaching I was in the Pa/NY border region on vacation, well N/W of harms way, or so I thought. As the storm approached and the track cut virtually through my LI town...we decided to stock up and head back down to ride it out, as we had not secured anything (Patio tables, chairs, flag, etc.)...I went to the local Warmart up here and amongst people peacefully shopping for school supplies...I loaded up on batteries, water, gas cans....etc.

We head down and there are hundreds of utility trucks driving with us south to aid LI for the eventual impact.

We get to LI and we are heroes with our water, batteries etc....

Then..

The storm virtually passes over us with little impact...heads n/w and virtually decimates the upstate NY/Pa region where those folks were blissfully shopping for school supplies just a day before...and all their utility trucks are down on LI standing by to do squat.

You never know...better safe than sorry.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You never know...better safe than sorry.

-
    For some stuff, sure. I can go a pretty long time without beer, milk, and pop tarts tho. I'm a camel that way. Beer emergency is not in my vocabulary.

At least the hurricane should at least settle the bees down for the season. I don't like bees :-( .
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 10-26-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Looks like Tuesday night the eye may hit Long Island according to one of the wind sites I use for sailing.... www.sailflow.com

Will the Islanders have escaped to Brooklyn by then?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree for the most part, but I don't want to be the parent that doesn't panic, and hence, doesn't do anything. No one wants to live in a house without any heat or power for a week, much less be already thin on food and other supplies.

We have a fireplace so Im not worried about heat, it's the no beer and no tv make Fish go crazy ' that I'm concerned about.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Someone had to say it.

I have immediate family on the Outer Banks in NC, and they don't evacuate or bat an eyelash if it's a Category 2 or less. Category 3, they think about it, and usually stay put. Whatever this doomsday that is coming on Monday is, guarantee you it will be a weak tropical storm, at best. Sure, watch for flooding if you're in a flood zone. Otherwise, BFD. Some wind, some rain. Ooooo! Scary stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weatherman on Good Morning America just used the words "once in a lifetime" and "historic".

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Google 'Ashley Green sobe' and or 'ashley green sobe skinsuit'

You'll thank me later
    LOL that you think I haven't seen these. Thanks, Fish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Thank you. Someone had to say it.

I have immediate family on the Outer Banks in NC, and they don't evacuate or bat an eyelash if it's a Category 2 or less. Category 3, they think about it, and usually stay put. Whatever this doomsday that is coming on Monday is, guarantee you it will be a weak tropical storm, at best. Sure, watch for flooding if you're in a flood zone. Otherwise, BFD. Some wind, some rain. Ooooo! Scary stuff.
    Did you not notice NJ get completely messed up by Irene last year? Of course the media embellishes things, but these storms can really **** **** up.