Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Back and operational finally. Not going to go back and read this entire thread. Hope everybody made out OK and hope SAR gets his Kenmore working. I sent him frisbees for this special occasion. He can use them as plastic fire wood if need be.

Our power came on last night. It went out last Monday at 5pm. Rode it out for the first two nights but then got a room at a hotel. My street got hit very bad, but my house escaped serious damage. After seeing the carnage up here, we feel very fortunate. One tree fell and missed the house by 15 feet. My son's tropical fish are dead. That's the worst of it for us. Sadly there are just too many people who were hit hard, some losing their homes. Caused by the hurricane, we had a tornado rip through here last Monday night which did a lot of damage. Looks like a 100 foot wide path, a straight line for about quarter mile where every tree was snapped about 20-30 feet up. Over half the old, wide and very tall Hemlocks are gone. Uprooted and many sitting on houses.

Here are some pics

4 houses up the street:

10 houses up the street

As I said... we got very lucky:

There were over 30 trees blocking the road and they brought in 3 bulldozers to clear the street.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Sitting in the upper deck?
    Back back back waaaaaaaaaaaay back

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Our power came on last night. It went out last Monday at 5pm. Rode it out for the first two nights but then got a room at a hotel. My street got hit very bad, but my house escaped serious damage. After seeing the carnage up here, we feel very fortunate. One tree fell and missed the house by 15 feet. My son's tropical fish are dead. That's the worst of it for us. Sadly there are just too many people who were hit hard, some losing their homes. Caused by the hurricane, we had a tornado rip through here last Monday night which did a lot of damage. Looks like a 100 foot wide path, a straight line for about quarter mile where every tree was snapped about 20-30 feet up. Over half the old, wide and very tall Hemlocks are gone. Uprooted and many sitting on houses.

Here are some pics

4 houses up the street:

10 houses up the street

As I said... we got very lucky:

There were over 30 trees blocking the road and they brought in 3 bulldozers to clear the street.
    Wow, glad you guys made it through ok Dcat - we had hard the Lake had gotten the worst of it, as far as the trees blocking the road, in accessibility and what not.

There are a lot of houses nestled in really close to a lot of mature trees in that area, glad you guys dodged a bullet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Word to the wise for any of you trimming downed trees and what not - there is no way to tell if you are working in poison ivy or not, since all of the leaves are gone.

The plant itself is still poisonous and contains urushiol everywhere, not just the leaves.

Having a severe outbreak, I think I might have blood poisoning....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Word to the wise for any of you trimming downed trees and what not - there is no way to tell if you are working in poison ivy or not, since all of the leaves are gone.

The plant itself is still poisonous and contains urushiol everywhere, not just the leaves.

Oh ****. I had that happen to me years ago. It's the worst. Hope you feel better soon!

Each time I touch that stuff I end up having to go to the doctor. Steroid shot and 10 day steroid pill regiment. Reaction can be so severe, my trachea closes eventually.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenNUT View Post
    Each time I touch that stuff I end up having to go to the doctor. Steroid shot and 10 day steroid pill regiment. Reaction can be so severe, my trachea closes eventually.
    Fish, did you go to the doc? If it's that bad, you should.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If there are 11,000 extra electrical crews in New Jersey, where are they?

In a seven-day period, PSEG has sent 1 crew to my street. They got here at 10AM and left at 5PM. No one is working the nights, no flood of out-of-state help anywhere in my county.

SAR I
    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to relax on the couch and read a book.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Fish, did you go to the doc? If it's that bad, you should.
    I'm going today. I've gotten poison ivy before, but nothing this severe.
    Its on my arm/wrist, and it's throbbing like a mother ****er.
    I never have that kind of symptom from poison ivy before,....if it spreads to my hand I'm ****ed, because I wont be able to work/drive/shovel snow/ etc.

fun times

Jets Insider VIP
    I never have that kind of symptom from poison ivy before,....if it spreads to my hand I'm ****ed, because I wont be able to work/drive/shovel snow/ etc.

fun times
    etc being the operative word.

You call that damage? Stop being a candy a$$.

Glad you and your family are safe and back up, Dcat. Thoughts and well wishes for the folks who own those homes.

fun times

I know this sounds nuts but run the spots where you have poison ivy under a faucet. It must be a faucet and not a shower head. Not sure why? Start with warm water and slowly make the water hotter and hotter. Go as hot as you can. It will take the red, puffiness and itching out immediately. And should last a few hours before you need to do it again.

I get PI at least 3 times a year thanks to my dog and I am highly allergic to it. This works so well I dont even buy all those medicines and creams anymore.

Good luck hope it helps.

because I wont be able to work/drive/shovel snow/ etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    If there are 11,000 extra electrical crews in New Jersey, where are they?

In a seven-day period, PSEG has sent 1 crew to my street. They got here at 10AM and left at 5PM. No one is working the nights, no flood of out-of-state help anywhere in my county.

SAR I
    They saw your BMW and thought, "buy a generator, cheapazz".

Hall Of Fame

10 houses up the street

a shocking image.

i hate to say it, but large trees around houses should probably be cut down.
    sad as that is.

glad you are ok Dcat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    etc being the operative word.
    Yes, it's also my fap hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotzy View Post
    I know this sounds nuts but run the spots where you have poison ivy under a faucet. It must be a faucet and not a shower head. Not sure why? Start with warm water and slowly make the water hotter and hotter. Go as hot as you can. It will take the red, puffiness and itching out immediately. And should last a few hours before you need to do it again.

I get PI at least 3 times a year thanks to my dog and I am highly allergic to it. This works so well I dont even buy all those medicines and creams anymore.

Good luck hope it helps.

Yes I beieve the heat releases the histamine which releives the itching - I've heard this is good and bad as the warm/hot water can really open up your pores, and make you more succeptible to further spread as well though.

I just wish the wound stop (blech alert) weeping. I can take the itching, but this oozing is just flat out ****ing gross. GFY, nature

Yes, it's also my fap hand.

Yes I beieve the heat releases the histamine which releives the itching - I've heard this is good and bad as the warm/hot water can really open up your pores, and make you more succeptible to further spread as well though.

I just wish the wound stop (blech alert) weeping. I can take the itching, but this oozing is just flat out ****ing gross. GFY, nature
    This is a common misbelief. Poison ivy does not spread. It just takes your body longer to react is some spots than others. Your first shower or washing should be with cold water to get the oils off. Once they are gone you are no longer contagious or able to get worse. I have been dealing with this my whole life. I am so sensitive even the slightest touch and its real bad with lots of oozing.

The hot water will help with the ooze as well and keeping the reddiness down will stop. Basically the hot water opens the pores and gives that ooze a way out without building up.

If you google hot water for poison ivy you can see. here is a quick one the first article that popped up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health...,5150700.story

Symptoms sound like you probably have Klinefelter's Syndrome. Any signs of gynecomastia or hypogonadism?

Here are some pics

4 houses up the street:

10 houses up the street

WOW. The 10 houses up the street is EXACTLY my house. I have tons of large trees.... this could easily be here in NC.

I have literally been searching the web for survival kits, 100 hr candles, propane tank etc...

Best wishes man.