Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What really sucks is knowing that new power outages are happening now and i am already 10 days without power. Who the f*ck knows when I'll get it back now.

I had been hoping to take in my cousin's family from Rockaway Beach but can't. Starting to think they might get power back there first.

On the bright side, I am leaving Friday for a wedding so I will be staying two nights in a nice warm hotel.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Wife is stuck in Penn Station ( after I pleaded with her to get an early train.) and the lights are flickering here. Good times.

-
    My wife said "F this" and was on a 4:40 train back. Friends trapped in the city are scrambling for car services and hotels are booked.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My power's gone on/off all day today, three times in the last 8 hours.

Just as others are describing, there are no less than 50 vans and crews sitting at the Garden State Plaza and dining in the food court without any coordination or direction here in Bergen County.

When my power was restored last night around 9PM is was only because a nice crew from Missouri decided to work after the 6PM cutoff to get us back online. If I wasn't out there snooping I don't think they'd have completed it because they had lost the PSE&G crew they were tailing, couldn't find each other in the dark because the guys from MO of course didn't know the neighborhood. I was able to direct them there.

First we had too many tree cutters who didn't have any electrical guys telling them what was okay to cut. Now we have too many electricians with no tree cutting support because after a week of sitting around they drove home to Texas.

It's awful the way these public utilities are run.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    On the bright side, I am leaving Friday for a wedding so I will be staying two nights in a nice warm hotel.
    Oh, you didnt hear about the fire?

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

-
    I thought you were going to say locusts....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out. Got gas for generator though that's always fun. Six meals away from total chaos. Someone smart said that. Power aint to far behind that. **** little house on the prairie. One more **** says imagine times back on little house on the......im breaking their jaw

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I just bribed a Verizon guy $200 to fix my Fios today instead of waiting until Saturday.

Even in a hurricane I rock harder than Air Supply.

SAR I
    Yet you won't spend a grand for a generator. Perplexing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Yet you won't spend a grand for a generator. Perplexing.
    When we lived in NH for 14 years we never had a blackout go more than a single day about 25 times (1996-2009) and only had one go for multiple days 1 time (epic ice storm 2008).

In the 19 months we've been in NJ we've never lost power ever. Now that we have, the generator install people will be the very first call when the power is restored. That said...

We have gas into our stove, are making soups and pastas and eggs and anything fried in a pan every day.

We have gas into our water heater, have unlimited hot water to shower in.

We have gas into our fireplace, can crank it up to 75 degrees in our great room where we're currently camped out every night.

While having a generator would get the boiler going and steam heat into every room, it means worrying about gasoline- and that's the one thing that's been a non-issue for us this week. We filled up both cars last Monday, and since we have no place to go we've got plenty of fuel left. Few trips to town to see movies, few trips to the mall to kill time. No waiting 3+ hours for $20 of premium necessary.

So I'm on the fence with the generator based on this experience. I guess in sub-zero temps the fireplace might not cut it and thus the generator is a nice insurance policy. I'll check into it and report back.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we lived in NH for 14 years we never had a blackout go more than a single day about 25 times (1996-2009) and only had one go for multiple days 1 time (epic ice storm 2008).

In the 19 months we've been in NJ we've never lost power ever. Now that we have, the generator install people will be the very first call when the power is restored. That said...

We have gas into our stove, are making soups and pastas and eggs and anything fried in a pan every day.

We have gas into our water heater, have unlimited hot water to shower in.

We have gas into our fireplace, can crank it up to 75 degrees in our great room where we're currently camped out every night.

While having a generator would get the boiler going and steam heat into every room, it means worrying about gasoline- and that's the one thing that's been a non-issue for us this week. We filled up both cars last Monday, and since we have no place to go we've got plenty of fuel left. Few trips to town to see movies, few trips to the mall to kill time. No waiting 3+ hours for $20 of premium necessary.

So I'm on the fence with the generator based on this experience. I guess in sub-zero temps the fireplace might not cut it and thus the generator is a nice insurance policy. I'll check into it and report back.

SAR I
    How are you keeping your phones/radios/computers/internet access online in the absence of electricity?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a generator professorially installed that runs off natural gas, wont have to worry about storing fuel for it or the fuel going bad.

I thought about starting a thread on lessons learned from Sandy and how to prep for a similar occurrence. Too soon Ii think.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    How are you keeping your phones/radios/computers/internet access online in the absence of electricity?
    iOS devices charge quickly in the minivan which has a 110 socket into which I've plugged an extension cord. We charge the iPhones and iPads as we drive. If you turn off Bluetooth, wifi, lower the backlight, and use airplane mode during downtime the batteries will last all day.

Neighbors with generators and the occasional Starbucks fill in from time to time.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    iOS devices charge quickly in the minivan which has a 110 socket into which I've plugged an extension cord. We charge the iPhones and iPads as we drive. If you turn off Bluetooth, wifi, lower the backlight, and use airplane mode during downtime the batteries will last all day.

Neighbors with generators and the occasional Starbucks fill in from time to time.

SAR I
    You could also play Angry Birds to pass the time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Well played.

You know, you guys should take pics of these utilities trucks and post them on various news agencies facebook pages, twitter, and what not. I'm sure others have seen them and felt the same disgust, I know I do.

If it's not a issue being discussed, it certainly should be. They way people are being treated is deplorable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    he's all set

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    he's all set

lest we forget

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

-
    F*cking Mayans!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just dragged half a holly tree to the curb.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was not bad here in NW Jersey; maybe a couple of inches of snow and not much wind. I expect we'll get worse wind as the front moves out though.

Sorry to hear about you LI er's getting the hose again.