Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    About 9 inches of wet heavy stuff in No Queens.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    You could also play Angry Birds to pass the time.

Star Wars edition released just last night FTW!

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    My wife said "F this" and was on a 4:40 train back. Friends trapped in the city are scrambling for car services and hotels are booked.

Wife got the last train out of Penn. that would get her as far as Mineola. Cab driver heard where she wanted to go and went oh ho ho ho...No.

Bunch of people that needed to get to Manhasset, Port Washington and Rosyln all left high in dry in Mineola with a single cab driver that was willing to go to....Garden City...for the right price.

So there I am, 1130 last night motoring over to Mineola in this farginng blizzard, power lines and tree branches hanging 3 feet over the road with the weight of the snow at many points.

Met her at Murphy's on OCR, had a drink to steady my nerves and on home we went. Didnt bother I told you soing her, it wouldnt have mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Just dragged half a holly tree to the curb.
    Just looking now, I'm losing a pear tree (that I never got a pear from yet) and a Leyland Cypress, both of which toppled with the weight of the snow.

On the other hand...I have power by some miracle..

Cant even fathom what the folks in Ocenaside, Island Park, Long Beach. Rockaway and Breezy are going through right now.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Just looking now, I'm losing a pear tree (that I never got a pear from yet) and a Leyland Cypress, both of which toppled with the weight of the snow.

On the other hand...I have power by some miracle..

Cant even fathom what the folks in Ocenaside, Island Park, Long Beach. Rockaway and Breezy are going through right now.

-

The bring the yellow jackets, so count your blessings. If it survives, you can bet that now you'll have to harvest 200 pears off the ground each time you need to mow your lawn.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw a bucket truck in front of my house. Got very excited until I saw it was just a tree company trying to get snowy branches off the lines just to try to power back up what was already on but lost power in the snow storm.

I hate LIPA!

I have family and friends from Long Beach, Lawrence, Rockaway Beach and Breezy Point. 3 out of 4 won't be able to get back into their homes for months. The other ones place is a mess and had to have carpets removed because of the floods but they are toughing it out despite offers from several family members to stay with them. My offer to stay at my house with no power and limited generator was likely not taken seriously.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Wife got the last train out of Penn. that would get her as far as Mineola. Cab driver heard where she wanted to go and went oh ho ho ho...No.

Bunch of people that needed to get to Manhasset, Port Washington and Rosyln all left high in dry in Mineola with a single cab driver that was willing to go to....Garden City...for the right price.

So there I am, 1130 last night motoring over to Mineola in this farginng blizzard, power lines and tree branches hanging 3 feet over the road with the weight of the snow at many points.

Met her at Murphy's on OCR, had a drink to steady my nerves and on home we went. Didnt bother I told you soing her, it wouldnt have mattered.
    Worst cab drivers ever are at Mineola train station. They've given me sh1t about a ride to Leo's on 7th St. in GC. It's the easiest $8 cab ride ever.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    About 9 inches of wet heavy stuff in No Queens.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Usually, fupa's aren't that huge. But whatever floats your boat, sg3.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    The bring the yellow jackets, so count your blessings. If it survives, you can bet that now you'll have to harvest 200 pears off the ground each time you need to mow your lawn.
    True that. I have a friggin Walnut tree that essentially drops the equivelant of 1000 golfballs on my back lawn every fall. Mowing the lawn sounds like this;

rrrrrrrrrrrrboomrrrrrrrrrrrBOOOMrrrrrrrrrrrBOOOMrr rrrrrBOOOOmrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Saw a bucket truck in front of my house. Got very excited until I saw it was just a tree company trying to get snowy branches off the lines just to try to power back up what was already on but lost power in the snow storm.

I hate LIPA!

I have family and friends from Long Beach, Lawrence, Rockaway Beach and Breezy Point. 3 out of 4 won't be able to get back into their homes for months. The other ones place is a mess and had to have carpets removed because of the floods but they are toughing it out despite offers from several family members to stay with them. My offer to stay at my house with no power and limited generator was likely not taken seriously.
    Stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about getting the course up and running. It will be 63 Sunday. Calling for a tee time as we speak.

Hope you get power soon.

-

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    When we lived in NH for 14 years we never had a blackout go more than a single day about 25 times (1996-2009) and only had one go for multiple days 1 time (epic ice storm 2008).

In the 19 months we've been in NJ we've never lost power ever. Now that we have, the generator install people will be the very first call when the power is restored. That said...

We have gas into our stove, are making soups and pastas and eggs and anything fried in a pan every day.

We have gas into our water heater, have unlimited hot water to shower in.

We have gas into our fireplace, can crank it up to 75 degrees in our great room where we're currently camped out every night.

While having a generator would get the boiler going and steam heat into every room, it means worrying about gasoline- and that's the one thing that's been a non-issue for us this week. We filled up both cars last Monday, and since we have no place to go we've got plenty of fuel left. Few trips to town to see movies, few trips to the mall to kill time. No waiting 3+ hours for $20 of premium necessary.

So I'm on the fence with the generator based on this experience. I guess in sub-zero temps the fireplace might not cut it and thus the generator is a nice insurance policy. I'll check into it and report back.

SAR I
    I have gas heat as well and all the ammenities you mentioned but with 3 kids the peice of mind alone is well worth the price. A modern 6500W generator (aprox $900. retail) with connection directly to your panel will power up most houses (all lights, heat, even washer and gas dryer) and the 7 gallon tank will give you 11-13 hours or run time. If you stock up a few gas cans before any storm and use the generator wisely (turn off during sleep time) it's like you haven't even lost power.

No brainer IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I have gas heat as well and all the ammenities you mentioned but with 3 kids the peice of mind alone is well worth the price. A modern 6500W generator (aprox $900. retail) with connection directly to your panel will power up most houses (all lights, heat, even washer and gas dryer) and the 7 gallon tank will give you 11-13 hours or run time. If you stock up a few gas cans before any storm and use the generator wisely (turn off during sleep time) it's like you haven't even lost power.

No brainer IMO.
    What you have to understand about SAR... is that he's a chronic liar. But he's OUR chronic liar.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we lived in NH for 14 years we never had a blackout go more than a single day about 25 times (1996-2009) and only had one go for multiple days 1 time (epic ice storm 2008).

In the 19 months we've been in NJ we've never lost power ever. Now that we have, the generator install people will be the very first call when the power is restored. That said...

We have gas into our stove, are making soups and pastas and eggs and anything fried in a pan every day.

We have gas into our water heater, have unlimited hot water to shower in.

We have gas into our fireplace, can crank it up to 75 degrees in our great room where we're currently camped out every night.

While having a generator would get the boiler going and steam heat into every room, it means worrying about gasoline- and that's the one thing that's been a non-issue for us this week. We filled up both cars last Monday, and since we have no place to go we've got plenty of fuel left. Few trips to town to see movies, few trips to the mall to kill time. No waiting 3+ hours for $20 of premium necessary.

So I'm on the fence with the generator based on this experience. I guess in sub-zero temps the fireplace might not cut it and thus the generator is a nice insurance policy. I'll check into it and report back.

SAR I
    You already have an unlimited supply of gas. Simply get a propane generator. You could hook it up to the gas in the house and get a few barbeque tanks for just in case.

T

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While having a generator would get the boiler going and steam heat into every room, it means worrying about gasoline- and that's the one thing that's been a non-issue for us this week.
    Is your boiler gas and actually steam?

If it is, you can run it with no power. If you're handy and such

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post

No brainer IMO.
    Thanks, yeah I'm going to try that very soon. I think because I have gas I can hook up to a natural gas generator and I don't even need to search for gasoline either.

Once the dust settles that will be my first phone call.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    What you have to understand about SAR... is that he's a chronic liar. But he's OUR chronic liar.
    1. I don't know who you think you are to make such false accusations.

2. C-list celebrities don't impress me.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. I don't know who you think you are to make such false accusations.

2. C-list celebrities don't impress me.

SAR I
    Oooo burnnn!! I'm a celebrity? Thank you!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotzy View Post
    You already have an unlimited supply of gas. Simply get a propane generator. You could hook it up to the gas in the house and get a few barbeque tanks for just in case.
    Do I have propane gas? I thought I had natural gas. Are they the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Is your boiler gas and actually steam?

If it is, you can run it with no power. If you're handy and such
    Yes, I have a steam boiler that runs on gas. It was very frustrating because I could see the pilot light, but could not get it to go full blast. When I called my heating guy, he informed me that I had an electronic damper and thus I could not manually crank up the flame to get the boiler to boil and make steam for the entire house.

SAR I

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4677149]Do I have propane gas? I thought I had natural gas. Are they the same thing?

They generators that work off of both. It is a very simple switch between them as well.

Just a quick look know nothing about this model just an example.

You could get something like this

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....tor/p1182.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course natural gas service can be disrupted the same as electricity can, much less common though. natural gas and propane or two different things, they are not commonly interchangeable, kinda of a carburetor thing.

Where I live, I worry about earth quake mostly, then wind storms, then ice storms.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have a steam boiler that runs on gas. It was very frustrating because I could see the pilot light, but could not get it to go full blast. When I called my heating guy, he informed me that I had an electronic damper and thus I could not manually crank up the flame to get the boiler to boil and make steam for the entire house.

SAR I
    That sucks...seeing the pilot but no heat.

It still couldbe done. Could jump the damper out and prop it open manually. But I wouldn't suggest jumping out safety features on a steam boiler unless you were a heating guy yourself and knew how it worked inside and out. I walked in on a job where the float got hung up and the thing ran dry for a while before it cooked itself. Go so freaking hot that all of the solder just ran out of all the joints in the copper header above the thing. Turned the instruction booklet on top of it to a pile of ash.

I love steam boilers. They produce a TON of heat for little gas consumption. They just require more attention/service than a regular sealed hydronic boiler or a furnace. I'm sure you have it done every season....but I would never skip a year without having it checked over and serviced.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do I have propane gas? I thought I had natural gas. Are they the same thing?

I thought natural gas just had a line in to the house, whereas propane you would get delivered, just like you would oil. There is more of a tendency for propane tanks to be out where it is more rural, as the geographic nature of some areas makes it prohibitive to put in gas lines, so for an optional fuel choice in those areas, a lot of people choose propane.

But if you're in Ridgewood, I would say natural gas.