Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1048

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lmao.....

Prolly the same kind of guys who have a driver, a nine iron and a wedge in their car..and have considered driving over to the Eisenhower Range "to see if there's gas over there".

-
    Get your swing on!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Get your swing on!

Hey honey, how'd you do?

Oh, man...no gas. Unbelievable, fargin Cuomo. I'm beat.

Is that...a golf glove on your left hand?

Lmao. I use it to pump gas, you know that, lol...jeez.

I know that?

Yeah. I dint tell you?

-

Bewildered Beast
    Hey honey, how'd you do?

Oh, man...no gas. Unbelievable, fargin Cuomo. I'm beat.

Is that...a golf glove on your left hand?

Lmao. I use it to pump gas, you know that, lol...jeez.

I know that?

Yeah. I dint tell you?

-
    Even with all that carnage she minds if you...uh...stop by the public course to... uhhhh...check the safety of the local...umm...polo shirt guys!

Ralph Lauren needs 'em safe.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Rutgers student forced to care for siblings after parents were killed in Hurricane Sandy

RANDOLPH — The Wish Upon a Hero Foundation is helping a 19-year-old Rutgers student from Randolph take care of her three younger siblings after their parents were killed during Hurricane Sandy.

Richard Everett, 54, and his wife, Elizabeth, 46, were killed while driving through Mendham Township during the storm when a tree fell on their truck. Their two sons — Theo, 14, and Pierce, 11 — were riding in the back but not seriously harmed. Their two daughters, Zoe, 19, and Talia, 17, were not with them.

With $56,000 raised for the Everett family by the Wish Upon a Hero Foundation, Zoe Everett says her family’s “wish has been granted” and requests that donations go to others.

In a statement posted at the website, Zoe Everett said she now has “two goals: caring for and being guardian of my three younger siblings and keeping my family in the house we grew up in. It is challenging realizing what a lengthy process everything and anything seems to be."

Everett had announced she is leaving school to care for her three younger siblings.

“At this point, my family's needs have been met,” she said in a statement released late this afternoon. “We would like to draw attention and further donations to other individuals whose needs have not yet been met.”

Before the hurricane, Everett said, she was “a typical 19-year-old student at Rutgers. But then came October 29th. I was studying for an exam, waiting out Hurricane Sandy and then I received a phone call. At 11 p.m. on October 29th, I found out both of my parents had been killed.

“I needed to get back home to take care of my three younger siblings. I finally made it to the hospital in the morning after battling with Hurricane Sandy all night. I was no longer your typical 19-year-old. A moment in time, a second of bad luck, changed my life and my siblings’ lives forever," she wrote on the website.

“I love them more than they could ever fathom and I am ready and willing to put any amount of weight on my shoulders to lessen the load on theirs. They are children who deserve to be kids and enjoy the life they have lying before them. I am going to be strong for them. I am going to be wise. I am going to be patient."

This afternoon, after the family had met their fundraising goal, Everett said, "On behalf of my siblings and myself, I would like to express our sincerest thanks for the overwhelming support and generosity shown to us. Wish Upon a Hero has raised funds for my family that have exceeded our wildest dreams. The donations have ensured our well-being for the next few months and will hold us over until we are able to access our own funds."

Everett asked that future donations be made to other families victimized by the storm. "The donations have ensured our well-being for the next few months and will hold us over until we are able to access our own funds," she wrote on the website this afternoon.

“My family has been so blessed, and we would like to be able to do the same for others who have suffered the misfortune of Hurricane Sandy."
    The part I bolded really got me. God bless you, Zoe Everett, and your family.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mother Nature: can I have a kiss goodnight?

OR ARE YOU NOT FINISHED HAVING SEX WITH ME?!

Snow. Took down my FIOS line, almost pulled it out of the box on the side of the house. Cars running over it, pulling it a little more each time. Call support and get "Naveen", the Wonder Dunce.

"Please give me the access codes so the tech can fix this."

me: what access codes?

"Alarm codes, etc."

me: "uh....NO. Did you miss the 5 places where I mentioned the box is on the OUTSIDE of the house?!"

"Oh right."

Yesterday morning, I suggest to the wife that I rehang it myself. She asks if I'm insane and do I want to get electrocuted. I'm like WTF - its FIOS, its either fiber optic, or copper and barely "live". She forbids it and promptly calls the fire department. /faceplam

I'm so mortified, I told her, you called, you go talk to them. I hid upstairs.
    They put some nice yellow tape on the wire. There were prolly many eyerolls.

Anyways, they never showed up yesterday, so I climbed up, installed an eye hook into the side of the house near the roof, and re-hung it myself. Wife was very pissed; not sure I cared by that point.

In better news, I got my new dehumidifier and its cranking away in my now-empty indoor pool (aka the basement), and I got one of my replacement tools from Home Depot.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post

Snow. Took down my FIOS line, almost pulled it out of the box on the side of the house. Cars running over it, pulling it a little more each time. Call support and get "Naveen", the Wonder Dunce.

"Alarm codes, etc."

me: "uh....NO. Did you miss the 5 places where I mentioned the box is on the OUTSIDE of the house?!"

"Oh right."

Yesterday morning, I suggest to the wife that I rehang it myself. She asks if I'm insane and do I want to get electrocuted. I'm like WTF - its FIOS, its either fiber optic, or copper and barely "live". She forbids it and promptly calls the fire department. /faceplam

Anyways, they never showed up yesterday, so I climbed up, installed an eye hook into the side of the house near the roof, and re-hung it myself. Wife was very pissed; not sure I cared by that point.

In better news, I got my new dehumidifier and its cranking away in my now-empty indoor pool (aka the basement), and I got one of my replacement tools from Home Depot.
    Lmao @ "I hid upstairs".

In all fairness to Naveen, he's prolly a little tired from riding on top of the train to work.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Quantum, did you remove the damaged drywall in your basement yet? Dehumidifier isn't going to help much.

Took my dog for a walk this morning around 5am and I walked right into a downed wire around the block from my house. Literally hit it with my face, thankfully it was probably someone's FiOS wires which are low voltage. The snow caused more damage to my town then the freakin Hurricane.

Whew.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-09-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lmao @ "I hid upstairs".

In all fairness to Naveen, he's prolly a little tired from riding on top of the train to work.

-
    I'M tired of riding on top of the train to work.

DD - yeah a few pieces of sheetrock and 70's wood paneling. No mold so far. This weekend I have to trash my workbench in the garage (it's a converted entertainment center).

Hall Of Fame
    I'M tired of riding on top of the train to work.

DD - yeah a few pieces of sheetrock and 70's wood paneling. No mold so far. This weekend I have to trash my workbench in the garage (it's a converted entertainment center).
    Glad to hear it. Once mold sets in it is a disaster. I know its cold but you will probably be best served to leave the windows open to get some good circulation, it will dry out faster. And if you see a little bit of mold on your studs just spray a little bleach on it, some people with 1:1 bleach/water but I just use straight bleach.

Good luck with your rehab.

Jets Insider VIP
    Three robberies in my town last night, all one one block yet to get power back. Family was home in one and locked themselves in the boiler room. Thief took car keys and drove away with their car. Friggin animals.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Three robberies in my town last night, all one one block yet to get power back. Family was home in one and locked themselves in the boiler room. Thief took car keys and drove away with their car. Friggin animals.
    3 home invasions on one block?

Do you mind if I ask where?

Not a speck of this in Newsday that I can find.

edit;rollie eyes is for Newsday, not you, jerky.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    3 home invasions on one block?

Do you mind if I ask where?

Not a speck of this in Newsday that I can find.

edit;rollie eyes is for Newsday, not you, jerky.

-
    3rd Street

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Fuking disgusting. I'm generally pro-gun control, but that does not mean I am anti-gun - especially for home protection. My current living situation does dictate that I don't really need a firearm but when that changes, I fully intend to have something for exactly the reason you describe.

No interest in carrying or having something fancy or over the top, but situations like Sandy and the aftermath shows you that prudence is necessary.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

3rd Street
    GC?

All Pro
    May the thieves die a slow, painful death. I guess if they're Jets fans they're about half way there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Fuking disgusting. I'm generally pro-gun control, but that does not mean I am anti-gun - especially for home protection. My current living situation does dictate that I don't really need a firearm but when that changes, I fully intend to have something for exactly the reason you describe.

No interest in carrying or having something fancy or over the top, but situations like Sandy and the aftermath shows you that prudence is necessary.
    This is why stun guns should be legal, at the very least.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    GC?
    Yup. Buddy of mine lives on 3rd Street. They were robbed about 6 months ago and were home at the time (two kids under 3), but thief never made it upstairs. Within a week, he had 10 motion-sensitive night vision surveillance cameras outside the house and a police/alarm company panic button in every bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    May the thieves die a slow, painful death. I guess if they're Jets fans they're about half way there.

Jets Insider VIP

Are we unknowingly on that show 'Wife Swap; or something?
    That's the exact kind of facepalmable thing my wife would say.

Before the storm, she let out this gem:

"We'll be fine, the storm is going to land south of us."

Lmao @ "I hid upstairs".

-

Bewildered Beast

"Alarm codes, etc."

"Oh right."

Thank q; that was awesome.

Do you mind of I put you on whooold for jest one minoot? Thank you, sir.

lol at hiding; indoor pool

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

3rd Street
    Well thankfully the proximity to Hempstead/Franklin Square had nothing to do with it...because to think that...would be wrong.

Me and the wife were heading down Peninsula about a month ago and we noticed that there was a carnival going on at Hempstead HS. Ferris wheel, rides, the whole deal. It was about 2 PM. I said to the wife, "I give that until about 6-7 before it deteriorates into a riot and she says "oh stop" with a roll of her eyes.

No sooner are the words out of my mouth, we are turning onto President st. and there it is..a throng of teens, hundreds of them stampeding out of the parking lot, in the distance sirens and the whole street is blocked off with bunch of them jumping up and down, full chaos mode in effect.

Instantly I pulled a uturn and start waving at all the disbelieving idiots in the cars around me to do the same before they become consumed by the hordes.

Luckily we were able to get back to Peninsula and drove down to Franklin st. where a ton of GC/hempstead cop cars were flying over to the melee.

Good times.

-