Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I thought natural gas just had a line in to the house, whereas propane you would get delivered, just like you would oil. There is more of a tendency for propane tanks to be out where it is more rural, as the geographic nature of some areas makes it prohibitive to put in gas lines, so for an optional fuel choice in those areas, a lot of people choose propane.

But if you're in Ridgewood, I would say natural gas.

Bobby, I've got propane in my urethra!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought natural gas just had a line in to the house, whereas propane you would get delivered, just like you would oil. There is more of a tendency for propane tanks to be out where it is more rural, as the geographic nature of some areas makes it prohibitive to put in gas lines, so for an optional fuel choice in those areas, a lot of people choose propane.

Natural gas is just that. Natural...comes from the ground in pretty much the same form as it is when it gets to your house. Propane is leftover crap from refining...sorta like diesel.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post

Bobby, I've got propane in my urethra!
    Hank Azaria kills; that was a genuinely funny toss off; barely audible.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Hank Azaria kills; that was a genuinely funny toss off; barely audible.
    Pretty sure he lives somewhere right near me - I seem him around quite a bit, most recently right after the Hurricane.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I have gas heat as well and all the ammenities you mentioned but with 3 kids the peice of mind alone is well worth the price. A modern 6500W generator (aprox $900. retail) with connection directly to your panel will power up most houses (all lights, heat, even washer and gas dryer) and the 7 gallon tank will give you 11-13 hours or run time. If you stock up a few gas cans before any storm and use the generator wisely (turn off during sleep time) it's like you haven't even lost power.

No brainer IMO.
    Got a extra panel installed in the spring that powers well, sump pumps, 1st floor lights and kitchen. I use a 20 AMP cord to the generator for the panel and run extension cords to the generator for the entertainment system, which splits out the generator fuse loads. 11 days and still running.... Gas was a bit of a problem last week, but by me it was not too bad once the odd/even went into effect. I am near 17 in Mahwah, NJ, which is the meca for gas stations to get the trucks going to NY and CT. Been running 24hours this week as I now have too much gas squirreled away and need to use it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

PSE&G is natural gas, piped in underground here in Ridge. My home in NH was propane, a truck would drive up and deliver monthly into an underground tank.

When all is done here I'm going to call and find out how to get a natural gas generator that taps into the underground line, perhaps they make a dual-line version that has natural gas as well as gasoline in case the gas service gets interrupted.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    That sucks...seeing the pilot but no heat.

It still couldbe done. Could jump the damper out and prop it open manually. But I wouldn't suggest jumping out safety features on a steam boiler unless you were a heating guy yourself and knew how it worked inside and out. I walked in on a job where the float got hung up and the thing ran dry for a while before it cooked itself. Go so freaking hot that all of the solder just ran out of all the joints in the copper header above the thing. Turned the instruction booklet on top of it to a pile of ash.

I love steam boilers. They produce a TON of heat for little gas consumption. They just require more attention/service than a regular sealed hydronic boiler or a furnace. I'm sure you have it done every season....but I would never skip a year without having it checked over and serviced.
    The house is 102 years old and it's the first time my wife or I have had any experience with steam heat. Once you get the hang of it and understand it's quirks it's just fantastic. The heat doesn't disappear after it's off like our forced-air systems used to do. Yes, I always get it serviced and have to watch the service guys like a hawk because if anyone messes with the valves on all the different radiators it'll screw everything up.

If I can get my guy to tweak my boiler for power outages, I'd only need a small generator to operate the TV and such. Could be a good solution.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    PSE&G is natural gas, piped in underground here in Ridge. My home in NH was propane, a truck would drive up and deliver monthly into an underground tank.

When all is done here I'm going to call and find out how to get a natural gas generator that taps into the underground line, perhaps they make a dual-line version that has natural gas as well as gasoline in case the gas service gets interrupted.

SAR I
    This looks like the route I will take. The last two big storms, I ran my gas generator, tried to help my neighbors with access to an outlet, then lent the thing out to friends as soon as I got power back. Both times, the thing broke down when the friends had it. Between that, and worrying about the gas supply, keeping one eye open for generator thieves...I'm ready to buck up.

I can only imagine what the post storm mark up will be though. May have to hit up an old friend I have with a local Plumbing business so at least I wont get rapeded. Also, may be an issue with my town as they regulate where you can put these things (almost like central air units)..you just cant throw them on the side of your home anymore.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    This looks like the route I will take. The last two big storms, I ran my gas generator, tried to help my neighbors with access to an outlet, then lent the thing out to friends as soon as I got power back. Both times, the thing broke down when the friends had it. Between that, and worrying about the gas supply, keeping one eye open for generator thieves...I'm ready to buck up.

I can only imagine what the post storm mark up will be though. May have to hit up an old friend I have with a local Plumbing business so at least I wont get rapeded. Also, may be an issue with my town as they regulate where you can put these things (almost like central air units)..you just cant throw them on the side of your home anymore.

-
    They'll prolly start charging for permits too

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    They'll prolly start charging for permits too
    Thats a no brainer, you'd need a gas permit, a pressure test and an inspection, no?

I dont think thats anything new.

I'm simply worried about them granting a permit at all.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a no brainer, you'd need a gas permit, a pressure test and an inspection, no?

I dont think thats anything new.

I'm simply worried about them granting a permit at all.

-
    Oh I mean for the reguller portable generators....just for another cash grab.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

-
    My buddy was just quoted $8k (installed) for a generator that supposedly will back up their entire house including their central AC. Hooks up to the natural gas line.

There are some factors to determine your system. Gas/Electric Stove, heat, dryer, etc.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Pretty sure he lives somewhere right near me - I seem him around quite a bit, most recently right after the Hurricane.
    I hope everyone is safe and warm. It was 70 degrees tuesday it's now around 45 here in the shade. Just that little change made me uncomfortable; I really feel for you guys being compromised and all.

Azaria's got a new bit on the late night shows; kind of a "Gil" based Sportscaster (think Vin Scully era ).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I mean for the reguller portable generators....just for another cash grab.
    ha ha...that would be rich. Actually, a few of the town buildings departments around Nassau have waived the "Maintain" fee which is the fee you would pay for work you did without a permit and want to legalize. Its usually 4 times the normal fee. They have given like a year amnesty to apply at the normal fee rate.

I do know, I did my deck with a permit and it cost me nearly a grand between fee's and architect drawings...before I ever drove a nail. A friggen square deck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    My buddy was just quoted $8k (installed) for a generator that supposedly will back up their entire house including their central AC. Hooks up to the natural gas line.

There are some factors to determine your system. Gas/Electric Stove, heat, dryer, etc.
    Sounds in the ballpark of what I've heard, but a little higher than I heard last month. I'm sure it will be an average of 10g's soon, especially on LI with all the work the plumbers and electricians will have in the next few years dealing with this disaster.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about getting the course up and running. It will be 63 Sunday. Calling for a tee time as we speak.

Hope you get power soon.

-
    No lie... Last Tuesday morning, we had calls to see if the course was open.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    No lie... Last Tuesday morning, we had calls to see if the course was open.
    Lmao.....

Prolly the same kind of guys who have a driver, a nine iron and a wedge in their car..and have considered driving over to the Eisenhower Range "to see if there's gas over there".

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Late update from the geniuses that run LIPA...

There are more homes on LI without power today than immediately after Sandy

Reason

"We ran out of poles"

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Reason

"We ran out of poles"

Wooweee, my heart goes out to NY's redheaded stepchildren out on the Island.

Sounds like a terrible situation.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Reason

"We ran out of poles"

Didnt they expressly refute that as a rumor yesterday?

Hope their esteemed leader can flip burgers, because he is going to be doing alot of that to support his family in the near future.

-