Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Veteran

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Weatherman on Good Morning America just used the words "once in a lifetime" and "historic".

Was he bending over?

--

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Did you not notice NJ get completely messed up by Irene last year? Of course the media embellishes things, but these storms can really **** **** up.
    Certainly be vigilant, but no need to go overboard. Do you live on the coast? On a river? If so, take precautions. Do you live on a cul-de-sac with no streams or rivers, 27 miles from the coast line? then relax.

I lost power for 4 days last year in a snow storm. Some people I know were out for 9 days. Guess what, we all survived. If you can't live without power for more than 47 minutes, go drive to a hotel in PA. This isn't the end of the world where the whole eastern seaboard is going to be wiped off the map.

Veteran
    Look what Italy did to scientists for not correctly predicting and communicating danger . . .

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/23...la-earthquake/

Scientists aghast after colleagues convicted of manslaughter over Italy quake

Earthquake experts around the world say they are appalled by an Italian court's decision to convict six scientists on manslaughter charges for failing to predict the deadly quake that devastated the city of L'Aquila. They warned the ruling could severely harm future scientific research.

The court in L'Aquila sentenced the scientists and a government official Monday to six years in prison, ruling that they didn't accurately communicate the risk of the earthquake in 2009 that killed more than 300 people.

The trial centered on a meeting a week before the 6.3-magnitude quake struck. At the meeting, the experts determined that it was "unlikely" but not impossible that a major quake would take place, despite concern among the city's residents over recent seismic activity.
    Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/world/...lty/index.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Thank you. Someone had to say it.

I have immediate family on the Outer Banks in NC, and they don't evacuate or bat an eyelash if it's a Category 2 or less. Category 3, they think about it, and usually stay put. Whatever this doomsday that is coming on Monday is, guarantee you it will be a weak tropical storm, at best. Sure, watch for flooding if you're in a flood zone. Otherwise, BFD. Some wind, some rain. Ooooo! Scary stuff.
    My house is surrounded by large trees on virtually all sides, especially when all of the bedrooms are on the top floor. I can't afford to be as blase about this.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Certainly be vigilant, but no need to go overboard. Do you live on the coast? On a river? If so, take precautions. Do you live on a cul-de-sac with no streams or rivers, 27 miles from the coast line? then relax.

I lost power for 4 days last year in a snow storm. Some people I know were out for 9 days. Guess what, we all survived. If you can't live without power for more than 47 minutes, go drive to a hotel in PA. This isn't the end of the world where the whole eastern seaboard is going to be wiped off the map.
    I hear ya... I have sinced moved, but last year my house lost power for over a week during Irene, and then for about 3-4 days during the Halloween snow storm.

I know a lot of folks in Jersey though who were displaced for months, and had to do major repairs to their house.

It definitely isn't the end of the world, but the potential for major damage is real, I guess that is the point I am trying to make.

Jets Insider VIP
    So lemme ask you fellers something....does anyone here use a power inverter or anything like that (powered from their car) instead of using a generator?

Technically its almost the same thing, since you're just running your car, and then running that power to select appliances in the house. Anyone?

Bueller?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    So lemme ask you fellers something....does anyone here use a power inverter or anything like that (powered from their car) instead of using a generator?

Technically its almost the same thing, since you're just running your car, and then running that power to select appliances in the house. Anyone?

Bueller?
    I bet there's a certain General Master of all Crap around here that would know about such things.

Maybe not.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

select appliances

-
    Last edited by 32green; 10-26-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-

+TV
    +cable box
    +internet modem/router

the fridge is a maybe

Hall Of Fame

Are these PC Richard appliances? That's important.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Are these PC Richard appliances? That's important.
    At least he has appliances..... as opposed to rudimentary in ground mud-fridges filled with brown eggs and gas station wine.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    At least he has appliances..... as opposed to rudimentary in ground mud-fridges filled with brown eggs and gas station wine.

-

oh snap

Jets Insider VIP

-

-
    It's called a root cellar, 32. Come on.

Jets Insider VIP

-
    Yes?

Buncha Nancy's in this tread.

Bewildered Beast

-
    LOL

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    It's called a root cellar, 32. Come on.
    I am unfamiliar with the ways of these stone-aged unsophisticates.

A roof seller you say?

-

Jets Insider VIP
    I am unfamiliar with the ways of these stone-aged unsophisticates.

A roof seller you say?

-
    I'm sure they sell them at PC Retards