Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    We're alive, *****es.

We actually made it through the storm safe and sound. There was some tree damage around town but e storm spared us. Just a mile east, though, is a flooded war zone. The shore is an absolute mess. Bridges, stores, bars, places where we go eat and hang out all the time -- it's all gone. The main road along the ocean, Ocean Ave, is covered with 3 feet of sand.

The only problem is we don't have power. My parents do, and I'm posting from there, so hopefully we'll get it back soon. On gunnails's suggestion (seriously) I stocked up on firewood and we've been able to keep warm.

Totally crazy storm. I've never seen a hurricane hit us head on like this. Usually it'd make landfall in e Carolinas or something and it would wander lazily up the coast. We got hammered directly.

================================================

That makes me feel good.

Happy to hear that none of the JI Clan seems to have been hit to hard and that there families are safe.

G

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ================================================

That makes me feel good.

Happy to hear that none of the JI Clan seems to have been hit to hard and that there families are safe.

G
    Wife thought I was going overboard, actually what I really should have done was gone full bore survivalist and ended up getting a generator.

This is going to hurt

*GMC was right*

However - if you cant get enough gasoline to run your generator it will not matter. I dont know anyone who stockpiles that much gasoline to be without power for more than 3 days.

Begin rant:
    I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but basically I had been constantly arguing with my over preparations for this storm. We haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things lately and this was just another classic example.

Everything I tried to do she thought I was 'overdoing it'. From the number of cases of water I purchases, to the amount of bread, and pop tarts I bought, down to the number of logs I split, she thought I was going 'overboard'.

Her grand plan for riding out the storm was 'going to your sister's house a mile away...her rationale was that the storm was going to 'hit south of us'.

This is what the road to my sisters house looked like, there were several more of these gauntlets along the way:

Thoughts of strangulation entered my mind. I told her there is no way I am driving under those with the kids in the car.

/end rant

Regardless I think she now realizes how right I was about this storm....of course she'll never admit to it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Wife thought I was going overboard, actually what I really should have done was gone full bore survivalist and ended up getting a generator.

This is going to hurt

*GMC was right*

However - if you cant get enough gasoline to run your generator it will not matter. I dont know anyone who stockpiles that much gasoline to be without power for more than 3 days.

Begin rant:
    I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but basically I had been constantly arguing with my over preparations for this storm. We haven't seen eye to eye on a lot of things lately and this was just another classic example.

Everything I tried to do she thought I was 'overdoing it'. From the number of cases of water I purchases, to the amount of bread, and pop tarts I bought, down to the number of logs I split, she thought I was going 'overboard'.

Her grand plan for riding out the storm was 'going to your sister's house a mile away...her rationale was that the storm was going to 'hit south of us'.

This is what the road to my sisters house looked like, there were several more of these gauntlets along the way:

Thoughts of strangulation entered my mind. I told her there is no way I am driving under those with the kids in the car.

/end rant

Regardless I think she now realizes how right I was about this storm....of course she'll never admit to it.
    =================================================

aS A MAN THE ULTIMATE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR FAMILIES SAFETY FALLS ON YOU. (oops). Try angain to make her understand this.

At the risk of being a GMC I would suggest the best way to generate electricity for a extended amount of time would be with a propane or natural gas generator, they are expensive $3000 to $5000 to get set up, but they will supply power for the whole house and you can go months aon a 500 gallon tank of propane.

These type of generators have an auto start feature that turn on when the power supply is interrupted, some of my clients that have electricaly powered life support needs use them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    common - wives with small children get scared and blabber on and on - your gnawing anxiety just fed hers. You had a storm inside the family to go with the storm outside.

Everybody's safe right? Go strangle something else for a while

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This is going to hurt

*GMC was right*

Begin rant:

/end rant

A wise man once told me, "no body...no case".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    after hearing about the guy in Flushing and kids in Westchester who died when trees crashed on their houses, I have to pop for the $1200 and get my oak removed. mine is much more precariously placed than those trees were and would have probably three times the force. Since it's on the side of a mountain it's leaning forward and it's situated higher than our house, so it would be in full force mode when contact is made.

Last edited by Timmy®; 10-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    common - wives with small children get scared and blabber on and on - your gnawing anxiety just fed hers. You had a storm inside the family to go with the storm outside.

Everybody's safe right? Go strangle something else for a while

GFY

Ok, that felt better.
    Actually, and I know this sounds crazy - but the sooner my kids will be able to celebrate halloween...the better.

It will at least be something different and get their minds off of this storm and all of the anxiety that goes with it.

Word is that Halloween in NJ has been 'moved' to Saturday, frankly I think that is a little soon but we'll see.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They never do.

So you have to find ways to let them know you know you're right. In your instance, something like "So how's that extra, now our last, case of water taste?" or "Good thing that extra wood is keeping us warm tonight".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    They never do.

So you have to find ways to let them know you know you're right. In your instance, something like "So how's that extra, now our last, case of water taste?" or "Good thing that extra wood is keeping us warm tonight".
    hmmm i dunno.. then mrs. FH might be taking brady'sacatcher's advice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    hmmm i dunno.. then mrs. FH might be taking brady'sacatcher's advice.
    I don't recall what that advice is/was.

FH could also say, when Mrs. FH makes any small remark that anything FH did to prepare was good, "So sorry, darling, you were right" but imitating Mrs. FH's voice.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, where's Borgo? Neck deep in some exotic mermaid panooch?

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen any pictures of NYC or the NJ shore areas yet; frankly I almost don't want to. I was able to make it into work today and use the showers here (they a fitness center and locker rooms, insert towel-snapping ghey jokes here) and actually attempt to work, but my mind is at home thinking of the wife and kids, and what we're going to do next.

I don't know what that is yet.

I just hope we got enough out-of-state help.
    The Jersey Shore is a horror scene. Many of the places from my youth seem to be demolished....Sea Bright is toast, Donovan's Reef is gone....Seaside Heights has lost a lot of the boardwalk, etc.

Donovan's before Sandy...

Donovan's now...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seaside Heights...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear that everyone is doing allright

Not much happened in my neck of the woods...but then again, 70 mph winds are fairly common October - March, so anything that would blow over has done so already.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Glad to hear that everyone is doing allright

Not much happened in my neck of the woods...but then again, 70 mph winds are fairly common October - March, so anything that would blow over has done so already.
    Nice status, Fish!

"I woke the same as any other day, ya know...I should've stayed in bed..."

One of my favorite Soundgarden songs!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    GFY

Ok, that felt better.
    Actually, and I know this sounds crazy - but the sooner my kids will be able to celebrate halloween...the better.

It will at least be something different and get their minds off of this storm and all of the anxiety that goes with it.

Word is that Halloween in NJ has been 'moved' to Saturday, frankly I think that is a little soon but we'll see.
    I'm not even sure what the story is with Halloween in the city. The parade was cancelled but does that mean that I shouldn't have my kids go trick or treating? We are in the unique situation of having vertical trick or treating so as long as you have a building with electricity, you've got hundreds of potential targets.

Part of me thinks its inappropriate, part of me thinks the kids need this outlet and its a good thing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Nice status, Fish!
    You DO know that PK isn't me, right?

He could be Fishhooked tho.....I don't trust that dude.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not even sure what the story is with Halloween in the city. The parade was cancelled but does that mean that I shouldn't have my kids go trick or treating? We are in the unique situation of having vertical trick or treating so as long as you have a building with electricity, you've got hundreds of potential targets.

Part of me thinks its inappropriate, part of me thinks the kids need this outlet and its a good thing.
    Is there anyway that you can check/coordinate that with neighbors or other people you know around the building?

You don't want to be the only one knocking on doors....but, you also don't want to keep your kids inside and then have you door knocked on by kids trick-or-treating only to see your kids say, "hey, why aren't we going like them?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Is there anyway that you can check/coordinate that with neighbors or other people you know around the building?

You don't want to be the only one knocking on doors....but, you also don't want to keep your kids inside and then have you door knocked on by kids trick-or-treating only to see your kids say, "hey, why aren't we going like them?"
    Gotta make sure everyone stockpiled on candy too. Not sure you guys were thinking of Halloween while stocking up on bottled water and batteries : dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big crash at the house during the storm when a 70 foot tree (we measured) crashed down and took out our deck. It fell diagonally across our yard and missed the house by inches. It was only 35 feet from the house so it could have crushed it if it had fallen at a different angle. It literally took out our fence right to the house. The last fence post is still there but the fence is crushed. Yet not a scratch on the siding.

No power and no internet. Using my phone now.

Fortunately we took GMC's advice and got a generator.

Actually I had one before the big blackout. So we have lights, heat, gas stove, coffee maker and can use the dvd player on the tv. ( no cable) Plus just about anything else we want to plug in.

So I'm not complaining at all. Feel bad for everyone that really has it bad now.