Page 37 of 53 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    One of my former commands;

In a job full of oh sh*t moments, this one has to be top ten.

The 9/11 poster over the desk makes this one eerier for me.

-
    Holy ****.

It's like an indoor pool... full of raw sewage and runoff...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Holy ****.

It's like an indoor pool... full of raw sewage and runoff...
    Can you imagine?

Thats PSA 1, the housing poleez facility in Coney Island. Not only are they getting buried by the water...but they are right in the midst of the projects as this is happening.

Talk about a lonely feeling.

Just heard they condemned the 100th pct. in Rockaway which was also buried in water. Alot of those guys lived and worked there, so they lost their homes and their workplace. Have to confirm that one though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Some pics I took today.

It looked like this all the way down every street.

Some still had a sense of humor.

What is left of the boardwalk.

There shouldn't be any sand in this picure down Beach 105.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Can you imagine?

Thats PSA 1, the housing poleez facility in Coney Island. Not only are they getting buried by the water...but they are right in the midst of the projects as this is happening.

Talk about a lonely feeling.

Just heard they condemned the 100th pct. in Rockaway which was also buried in water. Alot of those guys lived and worked there, so they lost their homes and their workplace. Have to confirm that one though.

And btw, Sandy was a Cat 1... imagine if it was any stronger.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Some pics I took today.

It looked like this all the way down every street.

Some still had a sense of humor.

What is left of the boardwalk.

There shouldn't be any sand in this picure down Beach 105.

Yikes....
    Last edited by 32green; 11-04-2012 at 06:52 PM.

All Pro
    Took a trip to Rockaway Beach today. Man, what s f*cking nightmare down there. The streets are lines everywhere with the contents of people's homes or stores. Cars on top of cars, roads filled with debris. Lots of sand very far from the beach.

It's tough to see people hsve their worlds torn apart. Especially when it's family. My cousin didn't want me to come because it was so bad down there. But I told her I didn't ask for permission and I was coming anyway.

So I went shopping and bought everything from milk to whole chickens to ice to TP. I loaded the car and headed out. (I still have no power so I had nothing better to do.) Its a maze of closed roads and debris but I got there.

I swear, it looks like Afghanistan. Sand everywhere and junk all over. It looks like a total disaster area.

My cousin is holding up ok but breaks down in tears quite a bit too. Its overwhelming. As if it isn't bad enough, their are looters and muggers.

But I also saw many acts of kindness. Saw the Red Cross, young volunteers, restaurants giving free meals, doctors without borders and many places taking donations of goods and giving them to the needy.

I took a bunch of pics but cell internet is slow at home. But here is a short video I took. Sorry i can't imbed it at the moment. This is video shot on Beach 105 St.

http://youtu.be/a1GUNDvLYjM

That's heartbreaking, poor thing. Very cool of you to go there, I'm sure she'll always remember your kindness.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    That's heartbreaking, poor thing. Very cool of you to go there, I'm sure she'll always remember your kindness.
    I want her to come stay with us but she has a special needs adult son and he does not do well with change like that. I think I talked her into at least letting me take her to my house this week when I get power so she can do laundry, take a hot shower and we can make her a home cooked meal and have some wine.

She really needs a reality break. You can see they all do. Plus they have to watch out for looters. Some scumbags went into an apartment down there dressed as FEMA employees and then pulled knives. Its scary for them.

But it is great to see all the people sharing. They make food for each other and share all they have.

Really hoping they get power soon but i'm not optimistic.

All League
    These pictures are horrible. Glad everyone here is okay. I am still without power, but I feel very thankful. In North Salem, NY, my mom's friend's son was holed up with his best friend in his bedroom, and a tree came through the roof and killed both of them...just 12 and 13. So terrible.

Jets Insider VIP
    ^^^
    Holy **** at these pics.
    I think we've all seen (too) many pics of the destruction of Sandy, but it sure hits home even more when these pics have been taken by you guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Plus they have to watch out for looters. Some scumbags went into an apartment down there dressed as FEMA employees and then pulled knives. Its scary for them.

Holy ****ing crap. They need to nail their testicles to a board once they catch these cretins.

Jets Insider VIP
    I also saw my aunt today. She lives on the water at Jamaica Bay. I heard she got 5' of water in her downstairs and without thinking, thought it was her basement.

It wasn't until later that I remembered that she doesn't have a basement. She had 5' of water in the first floor of a two floor house. She was stsying with her son so she is ok. But she lost so much. Her kitchen, livingroom, dining room, bathroom, back porch and garage were destroyed. There is no wsy she can go back until it is repaired.

Her daughter is the one in Rockaway Beach. That's an awful lot for one family.

Its amazing how hard some people were hit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    That's insane. These stories of looting, price gouging, union workers preventing non-union volunteers from helping out...wtf happened to "We're all Americans" and helping your neighbor in a time of need? If what's happening is a true picture of who we are as a people it's not a pretty sight.

In all these posts I haven't heard anything to suggest a significant response from the federal government. Can anyone speak to whether the National Guard is deployed and helping out on the scene? Katrina they were screaming about the lack of federal response while the storm was still going on. Here it's five days after Sandy and I haven't heard ****.
    The National Guard has a command center set up a few blocks from me in Manahawkin, NJ. They've been there since last Wednesday I believe.

FEMA? I don't really know and haven't seen any sign of them. LBI and this area were hit quite hard with wind (gusts to 90mph), tide and tidal surge. There are houses in Barnegat Bay and up on the salt marshes. Hundreds, if not thousands, of boats on the marshes and along the wood line of Ocean County.

Power is being restored at as good a rate as can be expected I guess. It's very sad if the rumor of out of state nonunion utility companies not being allowed to help out is true. Very sad indeed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

I also saw my aunt today. She lives on the water at Jamaica Bay. I heard she got 5' of water in her downstairs and without thinking, thought it was her basement.
    SOunds like Broad CHannel. They got hammered.

Wonder how the folks in Hamilton Beach faired, over by Howard Beach.

They might as well be below sea level over there...and one way in...one way out...

-

Jets Insider VIP
    SOunds like Broad CHannel. They got hammered.

Wonder how the folks in Hamilton Beach faired, over by Howard Beach.

They might as well be below sea level over there...and one way in...one way out...

-
    I actually saw a segment on WPIX 11 (why the wife had that channel on I dont know, it has got to be the bottom of the barrel for anything in general) on Hamilton Beach - the residents there were complaining that they hadn't seen anyone, been completely forgotten, etc. Pretty sad

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I actually saw a segment on WPIX 11 (why the wife had that channel on I dont know, it has got to be the bottom of the barrel for anything in general) on Hamilton Beach - the residents there were complaining that they hadn't seen anyone, been completely forgotten, etc. Pretty sad
    Its a very small area thats always been an afterthought in that part of Queens. Someone can correct me iffin Im wrong, but I believe there is one way in and out over a small bridge...I think they werent even connected to city sewers, dont know if thats changed. SOme folks called it "Critterville".

Everyone knows eachother or is related to eachother, lol. But they are so vulnerable right there on the water.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The pictures I posted before was from PSA 1....this piece recounts the experience of the 6-0 pct. which is at the other end of COney Island.....

Sandy’s Assault on the NYPD’s 60th Precinct

by Michael Moynihan
    Nov 3, 2012 11:40 PM EDT A Coney Island police house is inundated with water, forcing New York’s finest to improvise a daring escape.

As Sandy rolled toward Coney Island, whipping sand and debris across the famous boardwalk, officers at the NYPD’s 60th Precinct prepared to evacuate. As NYPD steamfitters Kevin Hunter and Anthony DiMaggio hurried to a subterranean boiler room to shut down the station’s heat valves, a burst of water—a “five-foot wave,” one cop said—smashed into the station, consuming the basement and knocking down one of the boiler room’s walls. Hunter’s leg was caught in the boiler’s machinery and completely submerged under water, and he was unable to get free.

DiMaggio screamed for help, and Lt. Peter O’Neill and his fellow officers rushed to the flooded room, which was already under eight feet of water—with it rising fast. “It was like a waterfall,” O’Neill, a 15-year veteran, recounted. “I’ve been in plenty of hairy situations, but this was probably the scariest thing I have experienced on the force.” The officers of the 60th Precinct sprinted down the stairs and, with a collective pull, yanked Hunter to safety.

With Hunter, the officers still had to evacuate person*nel from the flooding station. “I’m six feet tall,” O’Neill says, “and the water outside the precinct was up to my neck.” The taller cops walked, the shorter ones swam, to higher ground, where EMT-trained officers were loading injured evacuees onto buses to deliver them to a nearby hospital.

Not all of New York’s finest were so lucky. Artur Kasprzak, an NYPD officer attached to the 1st Precinct in lower Manhattan, was in his Staten Island home when Sandy struck. As floodwaters rushed into the house, Kasprzak hus*tled seven family members, including his 15-month-old son, out of the basement and into the attic. But Kasprzak, for reasons unknown, then returned to the basement and was consumed by floodwaters. When police scuba teams arrived, a downed power line hindered their search. Kasprzak, who served for six years on the force, was found dead the following morning.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...-precinct.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Does anyone need firewood?

This is only from two trees, my neighbor and I still have at least 8 more trees we need to finish. My arms are dead from chainsawing...and for the record, , you can still get poison ivy in the fall.

Still beats being inside and hearing my brother-in-law complain about his siding getting ripped off of his house for the hundredth time

Jets Insider VIP
    The pictures I posted before was from PSA 1....this piece recounts the experience of the 6-0 pct. which is at the other end of COney Island.....

Sandy’s Assault on the NYPD’s 60th Precinct

by Michael Moynihan
    Nov 3, 2012 11:40 PM EDT A Coney Island police house is inundated with water, forcing New York’s finest to improvise a daring escape.

As Sandy rolled toward Coney Island, whipping sand and debris across the famous boardwalk, officers at the NYPD’s 60th Precinct prepared to evacuate. As NYPD steamfitters Kevin Hunter and Anthony DiMaggio hurried to a subterranean boiler room to shut down the station’s heat valves, a burst of water—a “five-foot wave,” one cop said—smashed into the station, consuming the basement and knocking down one of the boiler room’s walls. Hunter’s leg was caught in the boiler’s machinery and completely submerged under water, and he was unable to get free.

DiMaggio screamed for help, and Lt. Peter O’Neill and his fellow officers rushed to the flooded room, which was already under eight feet of water—with it rising fast. “It was like a waterfall,” O’Neill, a 15-year veteran, recounted. “I’ve been in plenty of hairy situations, but this was probably the scariest thing I have experienced on the force.” The officers of the 60th Precinct sprinted down the stairs and, with a collective pull, yanked Hunter to safety.

With Hunter, the officers still had to evacuate person*nel from the flooding station. “I’m six feet tall,” O’Neill says, “and the water outside the precinct was up to my neck.” The taller cops walked, the shorter ones swam, to higher ground, where EMT-trained officers were loading injured evacuees onto buses to deliver them to a nearby hospital.

Not all of New York’s finest were so lucky. Artur Kasprzak, an NYPD officer attached to the 1st Precinct in lower Manhattan, was in his Staten Island home when Sandy struck. As floodwaters rushed into the house, Kasprzak hus*tled seven family members, including his 15-month-old son, out of the basement and into the attic. But Kasprzak, for reasons unknown, then returned to the basement and was consumed by floodwaters. When police scuba teams arrived, a downed power line hindered their search. Kasprzak, who served for six years on the force, was found dead the following morning.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...-precinct.html
    Scary sh*t!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Does anyone need firewood?

This is only from two trees, my neighbor and I still have at least 8 more trees we need to finish. My arms are dead from chainsawing...and for the record, , you can still get poison ivy in the fall.

Still beats being inside and hearing my brother-in-law complain about his siding getting ripped off of his house for the hundredth time
    LOL. Don't stack'em too high. Even a little storm can know some of them over.

And to think some people buy their own fire wood.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. Don't stack'em too high. Even a little storm can know some of them over.

And to think some people buy their own fire wood.
    That's happened before. Ironically one year a tree fell on it and ****ed it all up.
    I bet most of them will be on the ground after this next storm

I don't think anyone will be in the market for buying firewood in the tri-state area for a looong while.