Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL HURRICANE SANDY THREAD!!! (Merged)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Just out of a NY State Trooper cruiser and communicating from a dedicated terminal in the barracks (coffee is cold and awful). After telling the trooper that I was one of a few important cogs on a NY Jets fan site, he whisked me here so I could, once again, add my intellectual property toward the reconstruction effort.

Seriously, just back up. I'm one of the lucky ones; other than no electricity, my family and I came through the storm unscathed. I am just now sifting through the images of the destruction and cannot believe what is going on.

I'll go through the thread, but hope you all escaped without injury and/or property loss.
    Great to hear it Borgo. Good thing that state trooper has his priorities straight.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Waited out the storm. Lost power for three days—back on now, 80 foot oak took out my dining room, couple of holes in the roof. Totally lucked out—10 feet over and it would have destroyed my house. GF and I are toughing it out (naked) with the dog, my sopne stayed at a neighbor who inexplicably had power. Been drinking and cooking (my gas stove top works as does my grill), made Weeds with Sausage (was going to give you dicks this recipe months ago, but neglected to do so—even PK and Betsy could make this and it’s outstanding). All in all, I can’t complain. Nothing like Quantum—oof dude, hope you make it through this.

_
    You're not serious with that pasta. Why would you prepare it so? Next time...

LOL. Obviously, just f**king around.

So sorry you had to go through that damage to your home. Big props/kudos from me to you and your wife for making the best of it under those challenging circumstances. Most folks could not prepare that dish on their best day. Well done, muchacho (a). Good luck going forward.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    well that sucked major ass, and I mean in NOT the good way.

5ft of water in the street; people riding by on jetskis (really? during a storm??? )

one of our trees fell over. both cars dead and prolly totalled. 6in of water in den, 14in in garage, 12in in basement. all my son's collectables(Hot Wheels cars) - ruined. Comic books destroyed. $1700 damage to boiler.

My Camaro.
    F uck you Sandy you b itch.
    Wow, so sorry for all your losses, Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    A few pics from around my neighborhood. Most blocks look like this.
    I take it there is no disruption to your vital dildo production/manufacturing schedule? Folks are counting on you and your factory's workers, JT.

Seriously, hope you and your little ones are doing okay.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    The NYC Marathon is being run? Please tell me that Bloomberg is joking.

KOCH would never do this. He would be...NO WAY! We here in NY take care of our own.

I just heard on the radio they are asking NYers...LIFELONG residents of the great city to leave hotels to make room for the runners. I wanna go postal im so pissed right now.

My Aunt is in her 60's, lives on the 37th floor of a high ris and has no power or electric and we should be concernded about some runner from Texas?

Am I wrong to be pissed? Where's Bprgo, 32 and countless others that I am sure have no power. What about the NYers in Brooklyn, SI, etc...

Sorry...needed to vent.
    NY IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

Southp[ark you know better than anyone that there must be so many organizations just waiting for a reason to cancel on NYC. Bloomberg is protecting the commerce, now that the people are safe enough to dig out.

It's a Pro marathon and the fans might need the distraction; less weekend warriors will make for a compelling event (possibly)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I know some of you guys might be posting some of those things to lighten the mood around here, but I think it might be in kind of poor taste to be posting hurricane-sandy related jokes in this thread.

There's still a lot of people that we haven't heard from yet, and frankly this situation seems to get more dire by the hour.

If you want to post funny pics, they should probably go in the funny pic thread....just my opinion.

On top of all this madness - there is actually a chance for a nor'easter next week, with snow, to make things worse.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...rt_maj-story-1

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...rt_maj-story-1
    First of all, sorry for the boobs. I know things are pretty horrific for some people back there. Just trying to lighten the mood. My extended family finally has power back in Ocean County, NJ, and has had people visiting to take showers and "charge up"...and they're better off than many.

Secondly, are you kidding me? Rain, wind, snow on Tuesday night on top of all this? They better get power up quickly before temps really start to drop.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    NY IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

Southp[ark you know better than anyone that there must be so many organizations just waiting for a reason to cancel on NYC. Bloomberg is protecting the commerce, now that the people are safe enough to dig out.

It's a Pro marathon and the fans might need the distraction; less weekend warriors will make for a compelling event (possibly)
    But will the course be altered at all? Have any of the race organizers driven or run the 26.2 mile course to see what condition it is in?

Or, will it be an obstacle course? Run 2 miles, climb over a tree trunk, run 4 miles, jump over a downed power line, run 3 more miles and then swim for 20 yards across a flooded road???

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    But will the course be altered at all? Have any of the race organizers driven or run the 26.2 mile course to see what condition it is in?

Or, will it be an obstacle course? Run 2 miles, climb over a tree trunk, run 4 miles, jump over a downed power line, run 3 more miles and then swim for 20 yards across a flooded road???
    It's the Holiday coming up with BILLIONS on line; needed to pay for this mess. Who cares where or what they run - a hundred yard dash across rooftops - you know how it works; once a high profile organization says "NYC Is a mess- wer'e cancelling" then the domino effect kicks in.

People are grossly uncomfortable; but the City needs the dough right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ozu3U0LfzE

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the Holiday coming up with BILLIONS on line; needed to pay for this mess. Who cares where or what they run - a hundred yard dash across rooftops - you know how it works; once a high profile organization says "NYC Is a mess- wer'e cancelling" then the domino effect kicks in.

People are grossly uncomfortable; but the City needs the dough right now.
    Yeah, they need all the money and help they can get. That's why I don't understand this. It seems the area is refusing some offers of help....unless you affiliate with a union???

Despite devastation and millions of power outages in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, a utility crew from Alabama said it has been unable to help a ravaged New Jersey shore town due to a union dispute.

Officials from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers presented Alabama-based Decatur Utilities with documents that “required our folks to affiliate with the union,” Ray Hardin, general manager of Decatur, told FOX Business on Friday. “That was something that we could not agree to. It was our understanding and still is that it was a requirement for us to work in that area.”

Hardin said most of his six-man, four-vehicle crew was stuck in Virginia on Thursday instead of helping the N.J. shore town of Seaside Heights recover due to the bureaucratic tie-up. Eventually his crew ended up heading back home to Alabama because of the disagreement.

“We chose we could not agree to those documents and began looking for other areas that could use our assistance without those conditions,” Hardin said.

A spokesman from the IBEW said the union is "checking out the source of the story and trying to ascertain the facts."

In a subsequent statement, Decatur said its crews were held in place in Virginia pending clarification of documents received from the IBEW that "implied a requirement of our employees to agree to union affiliation while working in the" New York and N.J. areas.

Decatur said that as it waited for clarification, "we became aware that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources. To be clear, at no time were our crews 'turned away' from the utility in Seaside Heights."

Decatur said it tried to contact other areas that needed help, but "based on the uncertainty of union requirements that we could not agree to and the uncertainty of whether a resolution could be reached, we ultimately" decided to return the crew to Alabama.

Earlier reports indicated two other Alabama utilities -- Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative -- were turned away from New Jersey due to union discrimination. However, those utilities have since denied those reports.

New Jersey, which is the home of many powerful unions, has been ravaged by Hurricane Sandy, especially Jersey Shore communities like Seaside Heights and Point Pleasant.

As of 3 p.m. ET on Thursday, an estimated 1.7 million New Jersey residents were without power, down from 1.8 million earlier in the day. Another 1.5 million in New York are believed to be without power.

PSE&G has said all customers are expected to have their power services restored within the next seven to ten days.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/governmen...#ixzz2B5GpiEN7

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

This isn't about NYC and fans, it's about Bloomberg. The starting point is the borough hardest hit and least taken care of. Additionally it is one town over from the nabe hardest hit. The amount of resources being tasked for the race are desperately needed for recovery and cleanup. The decision to go ahead with the race before there was even an all clear for Staten Island demonstrated a callous disregard that is par for the course when it comes to the borough.

Now it is becoming more apparent that the City and the media truly dropped the
    ball on SI. The Borough President is ripping the lack of resources being dedicated (rightfully so) and now media outlets are seeing it too. However, the real kicker is that this will all happen in the face of a growing death toll, untold millions in property damage and no power for another week.

I won't even talk about the NYRR trying to oust evacuees from the Hilton.

It should have been delayed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

Seriously, just back up. I'm one of the lucky ones; other than no electricity, my family and I came through the storm unscathed. I am just now sifting through the images of the destruction and cannot believe what is going on.

I'll go through the thread, but hope you all escaped without injury and/or property loss.
    Good to see you back online, "Grobo"

First of all, sorry for the boobs. I know things are pretty horrific for some people back there. Just trying to lighten the mood. My extended family finally has power back in Ocean County, NJ, and has had people visiting to take showers and "charge up"...and they're better off than many.

Secondly, are you kidding me? Rain, wind, snow on Tuesday night on top of all this? They better get power up quickly before temps really start to drop.

No need to apologise for boobs. I know the need is there to try to divert attention away from all of the misery, so it's all good. Warfish I understand too - not sure how many people Ive offended in the funny pic thread ( ) but I usually try to keep those lulz in there. Personally they didn't bother me that much, but I could see where it might to others that were hit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    This isn't about NYC and fans, it's about Bloomberg. The starting point is the borough hardest hit and least taken care of. Additionally it is one town over from the nabe hardest hit. The amount of resources being tasked for the race are desperately needed for recovery and cleanup. The decision to go ahead with the race before there was even an all clear for Staten Island demonstrated a callous disregard that is par for the course when it comes to the borough.

ball on SI. The Borough President is ripping the lack of resources being dedicated (rightfully so) and now media outlets are seeing it too. However, the real kicker is that this will all happen in the face of a growing death toll, untold millions in property damage and no power for another week.

Or the start should be moved elsewhere. It just looks callous as ****.
    These runners have trained for months - what more will waiting a couple of weeks hurt? Not only that, but it puts the runners in the uncomfortable position of seeming callous too to the situation as well.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen I know you are in the war zone; glad you are safe there on SI.

It looks like Unions are breaking balls; how horrific is that?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, they need all the money and help they can get. That's why I don't understand this. It seems the area is refusing some offers of help....unless you affiliate with a union???
    Not sure I'd want people from Alabama wiring anything.

But:

Earlier reports indicated two other Alabama utilities -- Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative -- were turned away from New Jersey due to union discrimination. However, those utilities have since denied those reports.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Not sure I'd want people from Alabama wiring anything.

But:

Joe Wheeler Cooperative?

I mean but still...help is help...doesn't make any sense to me...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Joe Wheeler Cooperative?

I mean but still...help is help...doesn't make any sense to me...
    This just showed up in my FB news feed:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...incart_m-rpt-2

Major utility companies in New Jersey said that they are welcoming any and all out-of-state crews helping to restore power, and have not refused any non-union contractors.

At least one media report out of Alabama claims that personnel from that state were turned away in Seaside Heights because they were not affiliated with a union.

“We take crews as they become available,” said Ron Morano, a spokesman for Jersey Central Power & Light. “Everyone understands this is an all-hands-on-deck event.”

He said crews from throughout the nation were now working in JCP&L’s service area, including from California, Idaho, Kentucky, Florida, Michigan and North Carolina.

He did suggest that municipal companies might have issues working side-by-side with non-unionized contractors.

“We did not turn any crews away,” he said.

A Public Service Electric & Gas spokeswoman also said the extent of damage from Monday’s superstorm called for as much manpower as could get here.

“We have not turned any mutual-aid crews away,” Deann Muzikar said. “We’re taking any help we can possibly get.”

As of Wednesday, about 1,050 out-of-state contractors were working in PSE&G’s service area, she said, including from utility companies in Canada, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania and other states.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    This just showed up in my FB news feed:
    He did suggest that municipal companies might have issues working side-by-side with non-unionized contractors.

That's so ****ing stupid, if true. It's not like these are one-armed contractors.
    If that IS true - then this state is beyond help.

Anyway, just came across this link, before and after pics -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/...-after-photos/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see some of us are OK. It is times like these where we have to focus on the positives. I couldn't care less about The Strip right now. Thank God it is a bye week. I am not sure how I could get into a football game now. Seems trivial.

Just got my power back this morning. We are up and running. Definitely bittersweet. Just hoping we are able to help those that have lost everything. I have some friends who lost their house and cars in Long Beach. Luckily, they are OK.

This whole NYC Marathon thing is a joke. This is what happens when you don't impose the term limits. When Bloomy takes one step forward, he then takes two steps back. Makes me wonder how much resources went in to the Marathon earlier this week that could have gone to SI or Queens. We need to impeach this jerk0ff.

As for the non-union workers being turned away, that is case in point why there should be no unions. But that is for the politics section.

And I am glad to hear that our Governor has people watching closely over how LIPA handles this debacle. I thank all the crews for their help in getting me power but I think it is time that the heads of LIPA are removed. It is a terrible organization. But the crews that have been working 24hrs need to be commended.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 11-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts and Payers

Glad to hear some of you folks are OK. My heart goes out to all of you - I've been seeing the pictures on the news and am sick to my stomach.

Best of luck to all of you and your families, hope this is over soon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This story is the one that has received the most attention locally, rightfully so. Sadly, it has ended in a (predictably) sad way. Should the name of the "man" who turned her away come to be made known, I think it's safe to say that less than favorable things are in his future.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...math-of-sandy/
    CNN found the scumbag and actually interviewed him on camera... they showed him, and his house. His version of the story sounds totally bogus. Even worse, he's wearing what he says is his brothers jacket, and it sure looks like a Maltese cross on the front... guy might have FDNY in his family and he can't or won't help a mom and her kids in a time of crisis.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hoping to hear from 32green and others who haven't checked in. we've had some damn close calls here, within inches. this place is mainly dicks, but I'm really relieved you're all relatively unscathed.