Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hill Puts Drop Behind Him........

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hill Puts Drop Behind Him........

Jets' receiver Stephen Hill puts drop in loss to Patriots behind him

Jets wide receiver Stephen Hill drops a pass on third down in the fourth quarter before losing to the New England Patriots 29-26 in overtime at Gillette Stadium. Andrew Theodorakis/New York Daily News

Two days removed from a costly dropped pass in the fourth quarter of the Jets' overtime loss in New England, Stephen Hill has already moved on from the episode.

The play came on third-and-4 with just over two minutes remaining. Mark Sanchez hit him with what looked to be a first down and maybe more. Instead, the Jets settled for a field goal to end the drive.

"Yeah, that's definitely in the back," Hill said today in Newark, where 12 Jets rookies participated in putting the final touches on an outdoor fitness area. "Once I saw the film it's, OK, time to move on. Can't deal with it."

It continued a season-long trend for Hill, who has had trouble with holding onto passes since the preseason. But he is not lingering on this past Sunday. Rex Ryan said Monday, that other than the drop, it was Hill's best game of the year.

"He was playing a terrific game," Ryan said Monday. "I mean, he really was (terrific). Some of the blocks that you’re not maybe necessarily going to see, he was knocking people on the ground, he was doing that, he was catching the football. It would’ve been probably his best game and then he has the critical drop. Now obviously, he has to catch that ball, there’s no doubt, he needs to catch that pass. But when you see the other things, there are so many positives and then he has this big drop. Now, that’s not going to be swept under the rug, he knows he needs to catch that ball. But I was really pleased up until that point with how he was playing."

Demario Davis played on 69 of 78 defensive snaps Sunday in New England, a career high for the rookie linebacker after he played in just 40 total defensive snaps the prior two weeks.

Davis also had seven tackles -- also a personal best. He said that he feels comfortable in the Jets' system.

"I just want to contribute the best way possible," he said today. "It's all about us getting the win at the end of the day...I think we played pretty well defensively the last game but we can be a lot better as we saw when we looked at the film and that's what we'll try to do when we look at the film."

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad he can.

He damn well better learn from it though, or he won't be around long.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. He's made some good grabs, but he needs to keep working at it. Needs to catch more with his hands, too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill BETTER put the drop behind him. He can't dwell on the what-if's now.

He needs to concentrate on the next pass 'cause he will see a LOT of them this season with Holmes out.

Focus on Getting better, Stephen. That's your goal this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watching the replay on NFLN now. Every pass he caught, he caught with his body. I think he has a lack of confidence in his hands. He has to learn how to use his body AND his long arms to his advantage, otherwise his physical attributes are a waste.

6'4", 4.3 with long arms, he should be uncoverable with a huge catching radius. That all is eliminated with how he catches the ball.

Being a body-catcher is a waste for this kid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Watching the replay on NFLN now. Every pass he caught, he caught with his body. I think he has a lack of confidence in his hands. He has to learn how to use his body AND his long arms to his advantage, otherwise his physical attributes are a waste.

6'4", 4.3 with long arms, he should be uncoverable with a huge catching radius. That all is eliminated with how he catches the ball.

+1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. IMO, you should only catch with your body if you're running a short slant route to avoid it going through your hands and into the defender's.... (or am I wrong in this?)

On Go-routes and deep passes, he should trust his hands more.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I've ever seen a body catcher become a good pass catcher with his hands. I think Hill will always drop a lot of balls. And that will be fine, as long as he makes lots of big plays. You can live with drops if your guy makes a lot of big plays.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The question is, can he learn to catch with his hands at this level? I think so but he has to be willing to put in the extra practice time now and in the off season.

I also think he is better making the difficult catch and seems to lose concentration on the routine grabs. That seems to be common for young receivers and I think he can definitely improve on that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Glad he can.

He damn well better learn from it though, or he won't be around long.
    Really? Who's gonna replace him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill will be fine. The only good thing about us having 0 depth at WR is a rookie like Hill has a chance to get as many snaps as possible and put dumb stuff behind him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Really? Who's gonna replace him?
    Another rookie? Journeyman off waiver wires? TO? (-;

Hill is doing great for his 7th week playing in the NFL against seasoned veterans on opposing teams. Sparano is the game changer & glad he took the OC job here. Miami game this week is going to be another slugfest, but I think Hill can handle it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    Another rookie? Journeyman off waiver wires? TO? (-;

Hill is doing great for his 7th week playing in the NFL against seasoned veterans on opposing teams. Sparano is the game changer & glad he took the OC job here. Miami game this week is going to be another slugfest, but I think Hill can handle it.
    Hills drop hurt...absolutely. No more than several other plays on both sides of the ball.

he shows guts. I hope he can stop with the drops.......

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Hills drop hurt...absolutely. No more than several other plays on both sides of the ball.

he shows guts. I hope he can stop with the drops.......
    True.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think this new WR coach, Lal, isn't all that good. Hill should've had the bolded drilled into his head over and over by now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Good. He's made some good grabs, but he needs to keep working at it. Needs to catch more with his hands, too.
    Him and Cro both

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    He needs to do some extra work with the jugs (lol) machine. Seriously tho

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    He needs to do some extra work with the jugs (lol) machine. Seriously tho
    I also think he is an excellent candidate for a sports psychologist, as it appears the drops are a mental thing.

Hill actually commented after the game that he puts in extra work on the jugs, and alluded it to just being a mental mistake.

The kid actually cares about being a good player, and his route running vs both Indy and NE was very good. The TD he caught vs Indy, was after his intial route wasnt there, he worked to get open to where sanchez was going.

Plus, his presence on the field, dramatically changes our offense....safeties are pushed back opening things for keller/kerley and the running game.

I really hope he can reduce the drops because he looks like an exceptional player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Green already dropped the fact that he dropped an easy pass because he is an accomplished dropper.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we just need to get Sanchez to overthrow him and make him make the difficult catch every time.