Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's time we start appreciating our CBs

It's time we start appreciating our CBs

After Darrelle Revis went down for the season with a torn ACL injury, Antonio Cromartie proclaimed himself the best cornerback in the league. He was quickly met with laughter and derision, for good reason. Cromartie has been, throughout his career, infuriatingly inconsistent. He is, in my mind, one of the best pure athletes in the NFL, alongside Percy Harvin and Jason Pierre-Paul.

With Revis, the New York Jets have been spoiled by such incredible cornerback play that others are unfairly judged. Cromartie and Kyle Wilson are prime examples. Quarterbacks are forced to target them more than they probably otherwise would, simply because they cannot throw the ball near Revis, which makes them look worse than they are.

Last year, Revis allowed only 41.1% completions on all targets. At this moment, Cromartie is allowing just 39% completions on all targets, by far the league leader. Think about that for a moment. Our number one corner, the best in the league and arguably of all time, has gone down, and his replacement is allowing 1.2% less completions nearly halfway through the season. In addition, he has three interceptions, and probably should have at least one more. In Revis' best year, 2009, when he should have won defensive player of the year, Revis was allowing just 36.9% completion percentage. In contrast, Champ Bailey, one of the better cornerbacks in the league, is currently allowing a 52.5% completion average.

Our new number two, Wilson, is only allowing 51.4% thus making him the 17th best cornerback in the league based on completions allowed. Better than Champ Bailey. Consider that there are 64 starting cornerbacks, and the Jets have three in the top 20. People LOVE to give Wilson a hard time and say that he’s garbage. But why? The reason is because they’re putting Wilson on an impossible pedestal by comparing him, consciously or not, to the two best cornerbacks in the league. So when we see Wilson talking smack to the opposing receivers or wildly celebrating after close coverage, keep this in mind.

Both of our top cornerbacks are playing phenomenal football right now, and both have stepped up incredibly since Revis was lost against the Miami Dolphins in week three. Why do you think Tom Brady and the best offense in the league was only able to put up 20 points (excluding the nine from offense and special teams) on our defense, even without Revis? While a lot of credit has to go to Rex Ryan for re-discovering his creative genius and being extremely clever in his formations and plays, our secondary is simply playing lights out without their leader, and I, for one, do not believe they are currently receiving enough credit. Now, when Cromartie says that he's the best cornerback in the league, it's time to start paying attention.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/...erbacks-enough
    This is absolutely true. Revis has really spoiled us so much, we forget how good our other corners are.

They are playing very well right now. If they keep this up, Revis' leverage goes down even more.

Jets Insider VIP
    Stats don't tell the full story. Wilson has been burned many times, but bailed out by bad throws. Though, I will say Cro has been Revis-like and has my complete and utter respect.

Sometimes injuries are the best thing to happen, it gives the others a time to shine and show how good they can be. Holmes went down and a couple of new guys got to show their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Stats don't tell the full story. Wilson has been burned many times, but bailed out by bad throws. Though, I will say Cro has been Revis-like and has my complete and utter respect.
    Completely agree. Wilson gets burned like turkey in the oven too long. I'm not impressed by him that much.

Cro, on the other hand, has proven to be among the ELITE corners in the NFL. Revis Island may be closed for repairs, but the new season of The Cro Show has been phenomenal.

Whatever it takes to cling to the idea that Wilson is bad...

I'm sure every other corner in the league sees perfect throws.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    This is absolutely true. Revis has really spoiled us so much, we forget how good our other corners are.

They are playing very well right now. If they keep this up, Revis' leverage goes down even more.
    Hell Yeah!! +100000000000

And Marshall Amps to 11!!

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Hell Yeah!! +100000000000

And Marshall Amps to 11!!
    Well, why don't we just make '10' louder and make ten be the loudest one?

All League
    Cromartie

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Whatever it takes to cling to the idea that Wilson is bad...

I'm sure every other corner in the league sees perfect throws.
    Count me in the "Wilson's not very good" camp. But its note just based on the plays where he’s burned or that he celebrates after every completion - regardless if it's the result of his play or not.

He plays much smaller than 5’10”. He’s overly physical with WR which leads to poor positioning and unnecessary penalties. He plays with stiff hips and lack solid technique so you'd never know that he clocks close to a 4.4 40.

In 39 games, of which he’s started 18, he only has 3 pick and averages less than 2 tackles per game. As a back-up/nickel back, he's never contributed on special teams either. He has not made a material impact in a single game.

He was a first round pick so he has much higher expectations! The following 12 players were taken within the next 30 picks and probably would have contributed more to the Jets success then Kyle Wilson over the last 3 years. I admit these are debatable and each add value for each of their own reasons which may differ from Wilson's, but I'd rather have them.

Jahvid Best
    Dexter McCluster
    Nate Allen
    Koa Misi
    Rob Gronkowski
    Daryl Washington
    Toby Gerhart
    Jason Worilds
    Sean Lee
    Carlos Dunlap
    Ben Tate
    Golden Tate

Jets Insider VIP
    Stats don't tell the full story. Wilson has been burned many times, but bailed out by bad throws.
    Oh stop it. We all know Sanchez is the only NFL QB that makes bad throws.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    Count me in the "Wilson's not very good" camp. But its note just based on the plays where he’s burned or that he celebrates after every completion - regardless if it's the result of his play or not.

He plays much smaller than 5’10”. He’s overly physical with WR which leads to poor positioning and unnecessary penalties. He plays with stiff hips and lack solid technique so you'd never know that he clocks close to a 4.4 40.

In 39 games, of which he’s started 18, he only has 3 pick and averages less than 2 tackles per game. As a back-up/nickel back, he's never contributed on special teams either. He has not made a material impact in a single game.

He was a first round pick so he has much higher expectations! The following 12 players were taken within the next 30 picks and probably would have contributed more to the Jets success then Kyle Wilson over the last 3 years. I admit these are debatable and each add value for each of their own reasons which may differ from Wilson's, but I'd rather have them.

Jahvid Best
    Dexter McCluster
    Nate Allen
    Koa Misi
    Rob Gronkowski
    Daryl Washington
    Toby Gerhart
    Jason Worilds
    Sean Lee
    Carlos Dunlap
    Ben Tate
    Golden Tate
    Now with Revis out you'll appreciate that we picked Wilson instead of most of those others... (Lee, Gronk, Misi are the only ones I'd pick in hindsight. Wilson was a good pick--better than most 1st round corners taken in the past several years. My goodness, how can you even mention Jahvid best, the guy hardly played and likely is out of football because of cuncussions. Get real, you're complaining that we have Kyle Wilson over Jahvid Best--what a ridiculous comment) Aaron Glenn was a treasured Jet, it appears Wilson is at least as good as Glenn. It's only Wilson's third year and already he ranks in the top third of starting NFL CBs. Jet fans, get a clue.

By the way, for all the whiners out there complaining about every single Jets draft pick,
    (a) Coples far outplayed Chandler Jones last Sunday, and
    (b) Ducasse has literally been beasting when he's been in for Slauson.
    (c) Wilkerson has been dominant against the run and showing plus ability against the pass (the past two weeks)
    (d) Hill and Davis are showing some big time potential.

This team is one outside rushing LB away from being at least as good as the Texans D

The knock on Tanny's drafting: He goes for guys with greater physical ability though they may be raw. Why does he do that? Upside, you draft to field a potential championship team. The risk: It sometimes takes more time to develop the player. Patience. Wilson will not be Revis, but bet he makes a pro-bowl or two before his career is over.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Completely agree. Wilson gets burned like turkey in the oven too long. I'm not impressed by him that much.

Cro, on the other hand, has proven to be among the ELITE corners in the NFL. Revis Island may be closed for repairs, but the new season of The Cro Show has been phenomenal.
    I think it used to be called Al-CRO-traz or something like that....

Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    Aaron Glenn was a treasured Jet, it appears Wilson is at least as good as Glenn.
    No....just...NO.
    Last edited by Vin; 10-24-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think it used to be called Al-CRO-traz or something like that....

No....just...NO.
    Yea, it's clever but it just doesn't roll off the tongue. Then again, I have a slight speech impediment so NOTHING rolls off my tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yea, it's clever but it just doesn't roll off the tongue. Then again, I have a slight speech impediment so NOTHING rolls off my tongue.
    There's a dirty joke in there somewhere but I'll hold my tongue.

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere but I'll hold my tongue.
    Good Heavens! We're men of SCIENCE!

As much as everyone bashes Wilson, no ones been hearing his name for the last 3 games. And the only time is to show his mistakes.

People seem to forget, pre-'09 Revis, Revis was getting no respect. Hell, it took him midway through the '09 season for people to realize what kind of season he was having.

I'm not comparing Wilson to Revis by any means, but my main point is cornerbacks don't really get too much praise other than interceptions.

I for appreciate how Wilson has been stepping up lately.

Him, Cro and Trufant. \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    As much as everyone bashes Wilson, no ones been hearing his name for the last 3 games. And the only time is to show his mistakes.

People seem to forget, pre-'09 Revis, Revis was getting no respect. Hell, it took him midway through the '09 season for people to realize what kind of season he was having.

I'm not comparing Wilson to Revis by any means, but my main point is cornerbacks don't really get too much praise other than interceptions.

I for appreciate how Wilson has been stepping up lately.

Him, Cro and Trufant. \m/

The reason we don't hear Wilson is because he's been LUCKY that his man inexplicably drops a catchable pass(that should've been for 6) after he gets burned by him badly.

The reason we don't hear Wilson is because he's been LUCKY that his man inexplicably drops a catchable pass(that should've been for 6) after he gets burned by him badly.
    > *gets burned*
    > *receiver drops ball/QB misses receiver*

I have been happy with wilson's play so far... I think that he's better suited to play outside rather than the nickle. makes you wonder what they will do when revis is back, do they try to deal one of their CB's for picks?

Thank you for proving my point.

You may think that he always gets burned because that's all the tv cameras show. If he gets burned so badly all the time, why doesn't be get picked on as much? Did you ever care to think that all the times he wasn't thrown on he had good coverage and the QB went to his other read? Or do you just think that a QB throws his way only 4-5 times a game and that's it?

The only time you'll see broadcasters talk about CBs is if they get burned, get a pick or if the persons name is Revis.

I'm glad I only see Wilson come up once or twice a game, that means he's doing a good job. Oh and FWIW, you can't expect every CB to be perfect. CBs will always get burned, we've just been spoiled by the likes of Revis, as the article stated.