Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Lost This Game Because Rex Ryan's Strategy Doesn't Work, Not Mark Sanchez

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

We Lost This Game Because Rex Ryan's Strategy Doesn't Work, Not Mark Sanchez

It's we're now coming up on two years since we've beaten a team that ends the season with a winning record, just beating the scrubs and losing to the decent teams time and time again.

Since the day he got here Rex Ryan has preached that our success will be on a shut-down defense and a ground-and-pound rushing attack. Despite little regular season success in his first three years, he stuck to this strategy, unwilling to bend, unwilling to roll with the changes in the NFL. Still thinking we can emulate the 1985 Bears defense and the 1959 Packers offense and go all the way. Mike Tannenbaum buys-in, so he spends all the good draft picks on defense, thinking Rex can mold questionable rookies into league powerhouses.

Yesterday followed the Rex Ryan 2010 script to a tee with one glaring exception- the offense is left with no playmakers to bail the defense out of another 4th quarter collapse. With players like Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, and Ladanian Tomlinson we were able to survive the defensive failures against the likes of the Browns, Lions, Broncos, Texans, and Colts in 2010 and remain somewhat competitive early in 2011. But in late 2011 and 2012, those days are over. The defense continues to let us down when it matters most, the running game gets stuffed when it matters most, Mark Sanchez doesn't have a supporting aerial cast to win the game late.

Yesterday's disaster is on the defense. They sh-t the bed with 1:30 remaining, sh-t the bed the very next drive in OT. Mark Sanchez did a very good job with the crap tools he has and until he gets more receiving options we're going to continue to suffer against good teams who can make plays in crunch time where we can't.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're on crack again SAR...
    The defense did anything BUT crap the bed yesterday.

Now, if you want to talk about shotty QB play, Stephen Hill's drop, Disgusting conservative play calling, then we can talk. The only reason we were in that game was because of our defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    umm... no.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    sanchez makes his share of mistakes but at some point, someone other than him has to make a key play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    our defense held the #1 offense in the league to 20 points.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    one big part of that was b/c the jets offense kept getting first downs and won the time of possession battle. the defense still gave up 130 rushing yards and gave up key drives.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It's we're now coming up on two years since we've beaten a team that ends the season with a winning record, just beating the scrubs and losing to the decent teams time and time again.

Since the day he got here Rex Ryan has preached that our success will be on a shut-down defense and a ground-and-pound rushing attack. Despite little regular season success in his first three years, he stuck to this strategy, unwilling to bend, unwilling to roll with the changes in the NFL. Still thinking we can emulate the 1985 Bears defense and the 1959 Packers offense and go all the way. Mike Tannenbaum buys-in, so he spends all the good draft picks on defense, thinking Rex can mold questionable rookies into league powerhouses.

Yesterday followed the Rex Ryan 2010 script to a tee with one glaring exception- the offense is left with no playmakers to bail the defense out of another 4th quarter collapse. With players like Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, and Ladanian Tomlinson we were able to survive the defensive failures against the likes of the Browns, Lions, Broncos, Texans, and Colts in 2010 and remain somewhat competitive early in 2011. But in late 2011 and 2012, those days are over. The defense continues to let us down when it matters most, the running game gets stuffed when it matters most, Mark Sanchez doesn't have a supporting aerial cast to win the game late.

Yesterday's disaster is on the defense. They sh-t the bed with 1:30 remaining, sh-t the bed the very next drive in OT. Mark Sanchez did a very good job with the crap tools he has and until he gets more receiving options we're going to continue to suffer against good teams who can make plays in crunch time where we can't.

SAR I
    Are you kidding? Sanchez not executing and one boneheaded call at the goal line caused this. I want Sanchez to succeed and always have, but it is becoming very clear he dose not see the field.

On the interception at the goal line, he was probably almost 3 seconds late throwing that. If he throws it anywhere nearly on time it is an easy catch and run for a TD while the receiver is wide open. He, of course is severely late and can;t even reach the WR by the time he throws it.

On the sack that almost killed their chance to foce OT, what the hell is he thiking. I know PopWarner players who know better then to hold onto a ball there. Not only that, The entire play #87 is running wide open across the field waving his hands and Sanchez didn't see him. Sanchez is a problem and Tebow is certainly not the answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    17 actually.

Of NE's 26 points the Special Teams gave up 7 and the offense gave up the 2 point Safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...and we're off

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Are you kidding? Sanchez not executing and one boneheaded call at the goal line caused this. I want Sanchez to succeed and always have, but it is becoming very clear he dose not see the field.

On the interception at the goal line, he was probably almost 3 seconds late throwing that. If he throws it anywhere nearly on time it is an easy catch and run for a TD while the receiver is wide open. He, of course is severely late and can;t even reach the WR by the time he throws it.

On the sack that almost killed their chance to foce OT, what the hell is he thiking. I know PopWarner players who know better then to hold onto a ball there. Not only that, The entire play #87 is running wide open across the field waving his hands and Sanchez didn't see him. Sanchez is a problem and Tebow is certainly not the answer.
    in a game in which there were plenty of errors, why does the game come down to only sanchez's mistakes?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defense **** the bed but giving up a long field goal in regulation and a long field goal in overtime. BTW, pats have the number 1 offense in the league

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You're on crack again SAR...
    The defense did anything BUT crap the bed yesterday.
    ....or, our undermanned and overwhelmed offense did an admirable job in controlling the ball, keeping the defense off the field and fresh and they blew both a 4th quarter lead and the game winner in OT.

The defense is SUPPOSED to shut teams down, remember? That's why we burn all these draft picks on that side of the ball, remember?

Our pathetic air attack is supposed to stay out of the way while the ground game and defense get the wins. How'd we rush yesterday? How many attempts was Sanchez forced to make? How was the pass rush yesterday? How many field-position changing sacks did they make?

It's swell to say, gee, we held the Patriots to only 20 points but 6 of them happened in a 3 minute span when the defense was rested and ready to go. And, per usual since 2010, they blew a 4th quarter lead and lost the game on a single drive in OT.

Defense is how we're supposed to win, they're who you blame when we lose like we did yesterday. Mark Sanchez, with crap for WR's and a running game that fell apart late was the only reason we were in that game. He led us to a comeback from a 10 point fourth quarter deficit. He went 9 for 10 on his final TD drive. He's not the reason we lost it.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

On the int., I fault Sanchez more for not hitting a WIDE open Greene for an easy 1st down, instead forcing the big throw and not looking off.

I don't understand people's problem with the sack at the end of reg. though. Smart move IMO. It forces the pats to use a TO. The less Brady has of those at the end of a game, the better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same question I asked in other threads.

Why can't we blame both?

Both have shown inability to learn and grow at their positions. Both make horrible mistakes and/or miscalculations.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in a game in which there were plenty of errors, why does the game come down to only sanchez's mistakes?
    Because Sanchez is the :

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to argue that Mark Sanchez could have played better. He could have.

The point is that the DEFENSE didn't play better. They didn't stop the run. They didn't get to Brady. Our vaunted badass safeties couldn't stop the TE's. Our great DB couldn't catch a duck INT.

We did not lose this game on one or two Mark Sanchez mistakes; the only reason we got into OT to begin with was because of Mark Sanchez heroics.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    ....or, our undermanned and overwhelmed offense did an admirable job in controlling the ball, keeping the defense off the field and fresh and they blew both a 4th quarter lead and the game winner in OT.

The defense is SUPPOSED to shut teams down, remember? That's why we burn all these draft picks on that side of the ball, remember?

Our pathetic air attack is supposed to stay out of the way while the ground game and defense get the wins. How'd we rush yesterday? How many attempts was Sanchez forced to make? How was the pass rush yesterday? How many field-position changing sacks did they make?

It's swell to say, gee, we held the Patriots to only 20 points but 6 of them happened in a 3 minute span when the defense was rested and ready to go. And, per usual since 2010, they blew a 4th quarter lead and lost the game on a single drive in OT.

Defense is how we're supposed to win, they're who you blame when we lose like we did yesterday. Mark Sanchez, with crap for WR's and a running game that fell apart late was the only reason we were in that game. He led us to a comeback from a 10 point fourth quarter deficit. He went 9 for 10 on his final TD drive. He's not the reason we lost it.

SAR I
    I'm not talking about your precious expectations. Couldn't care less, really. I'm telling you that the defense did their job. Special teams, offensive playcalling, and offensive execution we're to blame for yesterday's loss.

If you need to be explained why percentages go up for offenses in two-minute drills at this point, I really can't help you. Read a book or something.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just about everything looked good yesterday except the coaching. A bad INT by Sanchez, a drop by Hill and the Special Teams TD were the big uh-oh's but in general, the Jets WERE grounding and pounding and they WERE playing solid defense.

This loss falls on the coaching IMO. Poor play selection gave us 3 points instead of a possible 7 by not rushing from inside the 3 yard line when we'd driven all the way down the field. Poor clock management left too much time at the end of the game. And finally, a quasi-prevent defense at the end of the game let the Pats come down the field about 60 yards in just over a minute.

However, I will say that this is a vastly better looking Jets team than the one that seemed to be going off the rails just a few weeks ago against the 49ers. These guys are playing hard for Rex, the D is improving and the running game is better. I have hope.

They goofed the game yesterday...but we could VERY easily be sitting here talking about a 4-3 AFC East leading NY Jets team....and three weeks ago that would have been unfathomable. This team has been very competitive the last three weeks - a close loss the conference-leading Texans, a big Win over Indianapolis, and a very close loss on the road yesterday to a good Patriots team.

The Jets seem to be a good football team and I think they'll compete for a Wildcard this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not talking about your precious expectations. Couldn't care less, really.
    Umm...I don't think SAR really gives a rat's ass about your expectations either. So it goes both ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Umm...I don't think SAR really gives a rat's ass about your expectations either. So it goes both ways.
    that's why I didn't list mine.