Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Win Game

All League

Must Win Game

How sick are you of hearing media say "this is a must win game for the Jets"? Every game this season they've said it including Week 1.

There are only 16 games. Which games does the team say, oh this isn't a must win so we can take it easy?

Critics are way to hard on this team. Truth of the matter is, Jets are an average team. But they're not the worst in league like so many are making them out to be.

All League
    Let's put it this way, week 8 games don't get any bigger.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    If you treat every game like a must win game, you have nothing too worry about.

All League
    This game is the season. It's not a must-win. The Jets can't surprise you and beat anybody good (haven't since the 2010 playoff game against New England).

Hence anytime they lose to somebody they are supposed to beat their season effectively goes to crap because then they will be forced to make up for it by "upsetting" AZ or Seattle.

Even though they both suck too.

How often do 3-5 teams make the playoffs? It's not common. Every year I'm sure at least one 4-4 team works its way in, if not more.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    This game is the season. It's not a must-win. The Jets can't surprise you and beat anybody good (haven't since the 2010 playoff game against New England).

Hence anytime they lose to somebody they are supposed to beat their season effectively goes to crap because then they will be forced to make up for it by "upsetting" AZ or Seattle.

Even though they both suck too.
    well said!

All Pro
    While it's true that all games are very important, this game has a little extra.

Of course they can overcome a loss, but they really need to win this one. A home game against an inferior division opponent who is starting a rookie QB.

These are the games the Jets have usually won under Rex. Some people like to point out that the Jets haven't beat good teams lately... but they usually win the games they're supposed to.

It's not "must win" but it's pretty damn close. On a scale of 1-10... this is a 7 IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    I'd say it's a must win. Divisional game, conference game, bye week looming. 3-5 would leave the Jets stewing with negativity in their week off. 4-4 (3-1 in the division and a rare sweep of the Dolphins) and a week to get players healthy and the offensive kinks worked out changes the dynamic completely.

Using Mike's scale in the post above me, I'd give it an 8.5. Gotta get the W.

This game is a must-win if we lose thats 2 division losses and we're at 3-5. Patriots aren't playing that good but they will deffinetly take control over the division if we lose

All League
    I just have to add:

Even if we were winless:

YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE DOLPHINS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S_biZV-lOk

I was there. Some scars NEVER heal. Many were created by Marino..............

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Phuck the Dolphins.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    How sick are you of hearing media say "this is a must win game for the Jets"? Every game this season they've said it including Week 1.

There are only 16 games. Which games does the team say, oh this isn't a must win so we can take it easy?

Critics are way to hard on this team. Truth of the matter is, Jets are an average team. But they're not the worst in league like so many are making them out to be.
    It depends on what your expectation of this team is. If you believe, like most reasonable Jet fans, that this team is capable of making the playoffs (albeit via the WC) and that will likely take 10 wins to ensure that it happens, this game is pretty much a "must win".

Last week, OTOH, was not. The week before against the Colts was. The week before that, against the Texans, was not. The Jets are 3-4 albeit having gone through a pretty tough schedule. If you want them to be where you hoped them to be (i.e. a wild card berth), you need to win this game. Being 3-5 with 2 divisional losses in a row going into the bye is a terrible place to be. In contrast, 4-4 and 3-1 in the Division is manageable.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It depends on what your expectation of this team is. If you believe, like most reasonable Jet fans, that this team is capable of making the playoffs (albeit via the WC) and that will likely take 10 wins to ensure that it happens, this game is pretty much a "must win".

Last week, OTOH, was not. The week before against the Colts was. The week before that, against the Texans, was not. The Jets are 3-4 albeit having gone through a pretty tough schedule. If you want them to be where you hoped them to be (i.e. a wild card berth), you need to win this game. Being 3-5 with 2 divisional losses in a row going into the bye is a terrible place to be. In contrast, 4-4 and 3-1 in the Division is manageable.
    spot on. this is as close to a "must win" as you can have in week 8.

- a chance to get back to .500 before the bye, as opposed to heading into the break losing 2 straight and 4 out of 5.
    - push the divisional record to 3-1
    - take advantage of a rookie QB playing on the road. we took care of Luck, can't afford a letdown vs. Tannehill
    - SWEEP THE HATED FISH

a loss to Miami heading into the Bye would be a huge distraction, for two weeks all you'd hear about is how "dysfunctional" the Jets are, when Tebow's gonna start, Rex lost the team, etc.

however at 4-4, we've steadied the ship after a rough start and all the injuries. with the second half schedule softening up considerably, and this team has a pretty decent shot of going 10-6 and making the playoffs.

Absolute must-win, how good will anyone feel about this team if they head into the bye at 3-5 with a very difficult road game in Seattle on the other side of it?

The vibe around here can be spun as positive for playing the Pats very tough on the road, but all of the good vibe "moral victory" stuff disappears and then some if the team loses at home to Miami.

If they want to be taken seriously at all this year, they have to get the W on Sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Absolute must-win, how good will anyone feel about this team if they head into the bye at 3-5 with a very difficult road game in Seattle on the other side of it?

The vibe around here can be spun as positive for playing the Pats very tough on the road, but all of the good vibe "moral victory" stuff disappears and then some if the team loses at home to Miami.

If they want to be taken seriously at all this year, they have to get the W on Sunday.
    No doubt.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Let's put it this way, week 8 games don't get any bigger.
    Home games against division opponents are always must wins

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I just have to add:

Even if we were winless:

YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE DOLPHINS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S_biZV-lOk

I was there. Some scars NEVER heal. Many were created by Marino..............

The Boomer pick at 3:45 was the killer, that bum always killed us with a killer pick, and the funny thing is he hates us Jet fans because HE sucked during his time here.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    These are the games the Jets have usually won under Rex. Some people like to point out that the Jets haven't beat good teams lately... but they usually win the games they're supposed to.
    Amongst all the Jets-bashing that goes on here, great points like this get lost. Unlike teams of the past that always played to the level of the competition, Rex's Jets typically get the job done (ugly or otherwise) against opponents who are clearly less talented.

In fact, other than the Sanchez 5 INT disaster against the Bills in '09, there's only been one team that has beaten the Jets during Rex's tenure that really shouldn't have.

Unfortunately, that team was the Dolphins, who did it back in '10 and then in last year's finale.

To the thread topic, agree that this is a must-win and I'm still confident the Jets take command early and never relinquish.

this is as must win as a team can find this early in the season. jets win and they have a shot of beating out the patsies by beating the patsies in their next meeting plus sweeping the bills. they lose and they'll need some help to beat out the patsies and/or the doltfins in the division. it's going to be interesting.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    How often do 3-5 teams make the playoffs? It's not common. Every year I'm sure at least one 4-4 team works its way in, if not more.
    We were 4-6 in 2009 and ended up 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl. Sh*t can happen.