Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Sex Marriage

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Curious who you voted for in Washington's Governor race. If you don't mind.
    Jay Inslee

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    Gay marriage existed long before Christianity. Native Americans considered it to be holy. Pharos and emperors had gay marriages.
    Full disclosure. When I saw that pic of you and Wayne Hunter, I thought you were gay.

I just think there is room for compromise. I know that has become a foreign term in this country but I think we can honor tradition while evolving. IMO the important thing is equal rights and protections, not what it is called.

Jay Inslee
    Looks like he's going to win. Polling shows McKenna was a pretty big favorite until around mid summer, and then something changed.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Full disclosure. When I saw that pic of you and Wayne Hunter, I thought you were gay.

I just think there is room for compromise. I know that has become a foreign term in this country but I think we can honor tradition while evolving. IMO the important thing is equal rights and protections, not what it is called.
    Nope, not gay! Newly engaged actually to Wife Version 2.0

What tradition do we need to honor? Since the beginning we have been correcting mistakes made by our founders. This is just another correction.

Hall Of Fame
    Nope, not gay! Newly engaged actually to Wife Version 2.0

What tradition do we need to honor? Since the beginning we have been correcting mistakes made by our founders. This is just another correction.
    The tradition of marriage.

The correction would be giving them equal rights. If I was a gay, that is what would be important to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The tradition of marriage.

The correction would be giving them equal rights. If I was a gay, that is what would be important to me.
    Marriage is equal rights.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Looks like he's going to win. Polling shows McKenna was a pretty big favorite until around mid summer, and then something changed.
    McKenna is someone many simply dont trust. In recent months, McKennas campaign has become so nasty, he really turned off a lot of people.

In the new Congressional District 1, the GOP candidate is a total sleaze. He actually took pictures of the other candidates home, cars etc. His photographers were actually stalking her kids.

http://www.kosterforcongress.com/delbene.html

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Health benefits, and tax breaks. Costly.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Health benefits, and tax breaks. Costly.

Hall Of Fame
    "Marriage" is not a right. It is an idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Ideas are legal no matter what. If its a idea anyone can do it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

IMO the important thing is equal rights and protections, not what it is called.
    Actually it seems it's very important to you what it is called. If it wasn't, you wouldn't care if it was called "marriage". Do you see it as altering your marriage, or the perception of "marriage" in general, in a negative way if the term is used for gay couples as well?

there are rights though that are solely associated with marriage.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Actually it seems it's very important to you what it is called. If it wasn't, you wouldn't care if it was called "marriage". Do you see it as altering your marriage, or the perception of "marriage" in general, in a negative way if the term is used for gay couples as well?
    Personally, I don't care either way. I don't get caught up on words. However, I can sympathize with those who want to preserve the traditional definition of "marriage" being between a man and a woman. No, I do not see it as negative.

I believe they should be afforded the equal rights, protections and benefits associated with "marriage". There should be no debating there.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    there are rights though that are solely associated with marriage.
    And that should be addressed. It shouldn't matter what it is called so long as they get equal rights.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Loving v. Virginia (1967)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia

In its decision, the court wrote:

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State."
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 10-24-2012 at 09:15 PM.

I just love how intolerant the tolerant are of the intolerant . . .

Hall Of Fame
    I was referring to the "between a man and woman" aspect of "marriage".

That case was about interracial-marriage. I am not sure how much of a precedent that should be for "gay marriage". Although it seems it has been used.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-24-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I just love how intolerant the tolerant are of the intolerant . . .
    seems pretty civil in here.....

It's time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

However, I can sympathize with those who want to preserve the traditional definition of "marriage" being between a man and a woman.
    I don't get that. It seems like that argument is made because marriage was defined a certain way when someone got married, they feel like it can't be opened up or redefined (not saying this is your stance, but it seems to be the argument I see most closely associated with the "they can have union, but it can't be called marriage"). I mean, we've changed the way we define "man" in the constitution, haven't we?. I can't help but feel that those that feel this way think that it 'cheapens' what it means to be married, as if gay people are less worthy, or less 'people' than them. Yet many of these same people know someone who is gay, and have no problem with them as people. It really is so similar to racism in a lot of ways ("well, not Billy, he's different, he's not like the rest of them").