Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Sex Marriage

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Same Sex Marriage

Another issue on the Ballot here. I was once opposed because of my religious beliefs. I voted yes!!

After stepping back from my religious view, and how laws are supposed to be based, I decided that this issue falls under the original premise of the Declaration of Independence, where we all have the unalienable right to Life, Libery and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Our laws should not be based on religion, or what the Bible says.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Smoke pot, smoke pole.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    They changed from property to happiness, did you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    Another issue on the Ballot here. I was once opposed because of my religious beliefs. I voted yes!!

After stepping back from my religious view, and how laws are supposed to be based, I decided that this issue falls under the original premise of the Declaration of Independence, where we all have the unalienable right to Life, Libery and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Bravo sir.

Absolutely. Rock on gay people!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Absolutely. Rock on gay people!
    Yep, Anyone who wants to endure the misery of Marriage should be allowed to.

If you step away from your religious view, then it's not really your religious view, is it?

If you believe something is "wrong", then you don't vote for it. If it becomes law anyway, so be it, but that doesn't mean you have to help it along the way (assuming it truly is something you don't agree with) . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If you step away from your religious view, then it's not really your religious view, is it?

If you believe something is "wrong", then you don't vote for it. If it becomes law anyway, so be it, but that doesn't mean you have to help it along the way (assuming it truly is something you don't agree with) . . .
    Wouldn't that be forcing and legislating your beliefs on someone else. Isn't that un-American? Frankly I find the the whole idea of the majority voting on the rights of a minority un-American.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker hits the nail on the head for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Z7tl7Vy8U
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 10-24-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Yep, Anyone who wants to endure the misery of Marriage should be allowed to.
    yep in 10 years they're all gonna look back and say, we had it so made.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post

No. I firmly believe that people have should have the legal right to do things i believe are morally wrong. In fact, there are many cases where i believe denying people the legal right to do things that are morally wrong is morally wrong.

*edit* though i wouldn't vote in favor of gay marriage. I believe the state should have no hand in marriage, and thus i would abstain from such a vote.

Bewildered Beast
    I don't understand....22 years married; I get the same sex every month now.

Will they take my vote for "Something ****ing New"?

Hall Of Fame
    Why can't we give them equal protection/benefits under the law but not call it "marriage"?

"Marriage" stays between a man and a woman.

Gays have to call it something else, but enjoy equal rights and misery.

Everybody wins.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Why can't we give them equal protection/benefits under the law but not call it "marriage"?

Everybody wins.

Because who cares. It's semantics. Let them do their thing.

Everybody wins.

what gives you the right to tell someone else they can't call their relationship a marriage? Keep in mind straight people don't have a monopoly on religion. There are churches that will and do perform gay marriages.

Everybody wins.

why not just eliminate "Marriage" as a recognized union by the gov't? then people who are religious and want to get married get married and as far as the gov't is concerned everyone is in a civil union?

This way the straights get to keep their word and the gays get to feel equal?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Everybody wins.

Gay marriage existed long before Christianity. Native Americans considered it to be holy. Pharos and emperors had gay marriages.

Hall Of Fame
    That's great. We aren't that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    That's great. We aren't that.
    We dont prevent people from living life their way if its not going to hurt the country

We dont prevent people from living life their way if its not going to hurt the country
    Curious who you voted for in Washington's Governor race. If you don't mind.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't care what people do in their own lives, it's their business. Quit trying to change everything.