Thread: All Tannenbaum's fault.......he needs to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

All Tannenbaum's fault.......he needs to go.

This whole Jets mess is all GM Mike Tannenbaum's fault, and he's the one who needs to go

Jets coach Rex Ryan (left) has little talent to work with in turning around his 3-5 team, and that's primarily the fault of GM Mike Tannenbaum (right). Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger

“What we’ve become is a more diverse, dynamic offense.” – Mike Tannenbaum on March 22

That seems like a good quote for the career tombstone, doesn’t it? Mike Tannenbaum was giddy when he said those words during a middle-of-the-night conference call to announce he had traded for Tim Tebow – not just as a back-up quarterback, remember, but as a special secret weapon.

This is the same Tebow who touched the ball exactly once for the Jets on Sunday in a 30-9 loss to the Dolphins. Rex Ryan promised today that his staff would spend the bye week trying to find new ways to use Tebow, but it’s painfully clear now: The Jets coaching staff has no idea what to do with the player acquired in the only memorable move for the Jets general manager this offseason.

Nobody would describe the Jets offense as dynamic as they dropped to 3-5 on another lost season, but give the GM this much: It certainly was diverse. There are no limits to the ways it stinks.

This has to be it for Tannenbaum, right?

He can’t survive another season like this, not with the Jets showing no signs that 3-5 will become anything but 6-10 in a couple months. The GM might have built a team that reached back-to-back AFC title games in 2009 and 2010, but he’s also responsible for the paper thin roster now.

He’s the one who let teams like the Dolphins climb above the Jets in the AFC pecking order, the one who hasn’t acquired a truly impactful player in his last four drafts. The Jets have taken 21 players since 2009, tied for lowest in the league, and not one of them has reached a Pro Bowl, something 19 other teams accomplished during that stretch. Only one, defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson, has shown potential to become a star.

It’s not just the draft, either. Tannenbaum is the one who insisted, after the Jets missed the postseason last year, that the Jets locker room is “filled with” guys like Victor Cruz, the undrafted free agent who became a star with the Giants. Come to think of it, maybe that should be the quote for the tombstone.

The Jets don’t have a Victor Cruz. What they have is Chaz Schilens, the receiver who had the audacity to rip the fans after his whopping four catches for 29 yards. What they have is an offense devoid of playmakers, one that makes it impossible to properly judge Tannenbaum’s biggest move of all.

The fans ready to abandon Mark Sanchez might be right – the fourth-year quarterback has done little to inspire confidence. He was supposed to finally solve the Jets’ issues at the most important position when Tannenbaum, in his first draft with Ryan as his co-conspirator, traded up to take him after just one season as a starter at Southern Cal.

Sanchez hasn’t done that. Still: Can anyone be sure, with the personnel around him, that he’ll never be a successful quarterback? The Jets can talk about losing receiver Santonio Holmes, the player Tannenbaum inked to a $45 million deal, but he had hardly performed with the consistency of a No. 1 receiver before his season- ending injury.

Tannenbaum is the one who drafted Stephen Hill, the rookie who can’t run pass routes. He’s the one who failed to upgrade the team’s wretched running game despite drafting three running backs the past three years – outside of one productive game against the Colts, the “ground and pound” has been grounded.

But that’s not surprising. After the special teams meltdown against the Dolphins, the Jets are proficient at nothing. They are ranked 27th overall offensively, 29th against the run on defense and 23rd in sacks.

The hardest part for Jets fans is thinking what might have been. This is a team that was supposed to be on the verge of something when it lost in the AFC title game to Pittsburgh two years ago.

Instead, the Jets are 11-13 since. Tannenbaum let veterans like Shaun Ellis, Damien Woody and Jerricho Cotchery leave, added a pair of washed-up receivers in Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason (who didn’t survive the season), and let what was once a strength – the offensive line – deteriorate.

He responded to an 8-8 season that exposed a serious need for athleticism on defense and playmakers on offense with … Tebow?

So a team that was a few players away now needs to be upgraded everywhere, and that’s unlikely to change before the extended trade deadline Thursday. That falls on the GM. Nobody thinks the Jets will turn a 3-5 start into a 6-2 or 7-1 finish to make the playoffs again.

If they don’t, then Tannenbaum – the man who built this so-called “diverse, dynamic offense” – shouldn’t get another shot to clean up this roster.

Steve Politi: spoliti@starledger.com; twitter.com/StevePoliti

He's absolutely right.

Tanny has to go one way or the other. Rex I am 50-50 on and it would really be up to the new GM. Maybe a one year audition with a revamped staff on the offensive side of the football. When you look around it's clear there is no amazing fix just waiting to take up the HC spot. Jay Gruden? Maybe, but his offense is not looking so hot this season. I'd say get a new GM that knows his stuff and that doesn't defer to Rex at every turn. It would be easier to try a reboot with Rex leading the D and say Norv Turner leading the O. JMHO

What's a "chaz schilens?"

This is probably the 10th thread started about Tannenbaum being fired...and quite frankly I can't blame people for the repetition that's going on. There's barely anything else to talk about with this team until wholesale changes are made, starting with Trader Mike.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    This is probably the 10th thread started about Tannenbaum being fired...and quite frankly I can't blame people for the repetition that's going on. There's barely anything else to talk about with this team until wholesale changes are made, starting with Trader Mike.
    Did someone else post this article? If so Mods please kill, did not know this article from the Star Ledger was posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Did someone else post this article? If so Mods please kill, did not know this article from the Star Ledger was posted.
    No, this article wasn't posted before, you're good. Was just commenting on the overall theme of the board - it's hard to talk about anything other than the clowns in the FO.

No, this article wasn't posted before, you're good. Was just commenting on the overall theme of the board - it's hard to talk about anything other than the clowns in the FO and on the sideline wearing headsets.
    Fixed

All League
    I was hoping for an article like this. The only thing that could be better would be letting go of bradway and aquiring new staff in the scouting department.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great Article and explains why GM Tanny has to go but it goes further to what CMART calls the lack of development of players under Rex and his "misleadership" that is equally damming IMO....

I suggest this thread from Tony Pauline in the draft forum, it's a rather insightful one on the apportioning of blame that should be going on with the HC v. GM

http://www.draftinsider.net/forum/sh...stion-for-Tony