Thread: Defensive Matchups vs Miami

Defensive Matchups vs Miami

Looking at the dolphins offense I think we need to stay with a similar package that we ran against New England and use 3 safeties, with Harris and Demario at LB and a "4 man" line of coples, devito, wilkerson and pace/BT.

While fasano is a good blocker, he is not a huge downfield threat from a speed standpoint, so this should be one of the few situations where allen or our LBs can match up with him in coverage.

I do worry a bit about the miami WRs in man coverage, not from a name standpoint, but both bess and hartline are shifty, quick guys, the type of WR that normallly give Cro trouble. It sounds ridiculous, but i would much rather cro face someone like andre johnson then hartline. I think rex will mix in some zone coverage against these guys to try to confuse tannenhill. The extra DB will also put some more speed out there to blitz on early downs.

As far as containing bush, seems like for whatever reason he has struggled after his injury against us, but he had the bye to heal, and apparently is pretty amped for this game. I think keeping a 3rd safety in the game, instead of another slow LB, will hopefully limit bush's ability to cut back. Our dline really played well in NE, especially considering we were without our top 2 NTs...we are going to need that same performance this week.

Nice post and I agree. I wish I had the all-22 coverage so I could watch some of last week's tape. From what I remember, we played quite a bit of 4-2-5 with the exact Allen, Harris, Davis lineup you describe. I really think that was an overlooked defensive strategy that slowed down the Patriots no huddle offense. The flaw in it right now is DeVito is playing on the inside and struggled, because of the injury to Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Nice post and I agree. I wish I had the all-22 coverage so I could watch some of last week's tape. From what I remember, we played quite a bit of 4-2-5 with the exact Allen, Harris, Davis lineup you describe. I really think that was an overlooked defensive strategy that slowed down the Patriots no huddle offense. The flaw in it right now is DeVito is playing on the inside and struggled, because of the injury to Ellis.
    If we try to focus on the positives, devito at "NT" actually adds some quickness to the line. He did have 1-2 plays where he got into the backfield to disrupt things, unfortunately he doesnt have the speed to close and make the play. I also think that devito, willk and coples have some "interchange-ability" where we can really move them around and try to create some mismatches. Specifically putting devito outside vs long, simply to occupy him and let coples and wilk try to make something happen against miami's lesser lineman.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking at the dolphins offense I think we need to stay with a similar package that we ran against New England and use 3 safeties, with Harris and Demario at LB and a "4 man" line of coples, devito, wilkerson and pace/BT.

While fasano is a good blocker, he is not a huge downfield threat from a speed standpoint, so this should be one of the few situations where allen or our LBs can match up with him in coverage.

I do worry a bit about the miami WRs in man coverage, not from a name standpoint, but both bess and hartline are shifty, quick guys, the type of WR that normallly give Cro trouble. It sounds ridiculous, but i would much rather cro face someone like andre johnson then hartline. I think rex will mix in some zone coverage against these guys to try to confuse tannenhill. The extra DB will also put some more speed out there to blitz on early downs.

As far as containing bush, seems like for whatever reason he has struggled after his injury against us, but he had the bye to heal, and apparently is pretty amped for this game. I think keeping a 3rd safety in the game, instead of another slow LB, will hopefully limit bush's ability to cut back. Our dline really played well in NE, especially considering we were without our top 2 NTs...we are going to need that same performance this week.
    We were without any NT. I hope Pouha is back otherwise we need to play 4 lineman. Devito is not a NT, and Pace is not a DE. NE doubled both Wilkerson, and Coples. We need to free them up.

All Pro
    If we try to focus on the positives, devito at "NT" actually adds some quickness to the line. He did have 1-2 plays where he got into the backfield to disrupt things, unfortunately he doesnt have the speed to close and make the play. I also think that devito, willk and coples have some "interchange-ability" where we can really move them around and try to create some mismatches. Specifically putting devito outside vs long, simply to occupy him and let coples and wilk try to make something happen against miami's lesser lineman.
    Devito was handled by a single blocker all game. He has been doubled in the past, but Miami probably has film of the Pats game and will realize he doesn't play 0 technique well. Apparently neither of our young NTs are ready for extended action.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We were without any NT. I hope Pouha is back otherwise we need to play 4 lineman. Devito is not a NT, and Pace is not a DE. NE doubled both Wilkerson, and Coples. We need to free them up.
    Good point about Devito, he is way more effective as DE against the run, he gets handled pretty easily at nose.

It is going to come down to Wilkerson and Couples making plays or drawing double-teams that will allow our LBs to make plays.

Both of these guys looked like monsters vs. the Patriots.

I do worry a bit about the miami WRs in man coverage, not from a name standpoint, but both bess and hartline are shifty, quick guys, the type of WR that normallly give Cro trouble. It sounds ridiculous, but i would much rather cro face someone like andre johnson then hartline.
    I'm not the least bit worried about Cromartie on Hartline.

For starters, Hartline's game and style play right into Cromartie's strengths. Hartline does all his damage outside the numbers which is where Cromartie excels. While Bess is shifty, I wouldn't use that term to describe Hartline. Hartline is basically a poor man's version of Jordy Nelson.

Not only that, but Cromartie is playing arguably the best season of his career. I know he had that season in '07 or '08 where he had a bundle of INTs, but his coverage this year has been phenomenal. He's playing like a top 3 corner this year.

The only way Hartline has success outside the numbers is if Cro isn't focused enough, meaning he either draws a penalty or falls asleep at the wheel on a broken play (both of which he's been known to do before).

On the defensive side of the ball, this game boils down to eliminating Reggie Bush and the running game. More important to the game's outcome, however, is how well and crisp the offense plays against a stiff defense in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I'm not the least bit worried about Cromartie on Hartline.

For starters, Hartline's game and style play right into Cromartie's strengths. Hartline does all his damage outside the numbers which is where Cromartie excels. While Bess is shifty, I wouldn't use that term to describe Hartline. Hartline is basically a poor man's version of Jordy Nelson.

Not only that, but Cromartie is playing arguably the best season of his career. I know he had that season in '07 or '08 where he had a bundle of INTs, but his coverage this year has been phenomenal. He's playing like a top 3 corner this year.

The only way Hartline has success outside the numbers is if Cro isn't focused enough, meaning he either draws a penalty or falls asleep at the wheel on a broken play (both of which he's been known to do before).

On the defensive side of the ball, this game boils down to eliminating Reggie Bush and the running game. More important to the game's outcome, however, is how well and crisp the offense plays against a stiff defense in Miami.
    While I agree Cro has been playing great lately, please dont forget the play vs Miami in week 3 when hartline left him 10 yards behind him on a double move for a big first down.

While I agree Cro has been playing great lately, please dont forget the play vs Miami in week 3 when hartline left him 10 yards behind him on a double move for a big first down.

Which is precisely why I said...

Hartline did have a big catch in Week 3, but it was his only catch in Week 3. It came off of a busted play and Cromartie didn't keep his concentration long enough. On regular plays, Hartline did zilch.

Which is precisely why I said...

Hartline did have a big catch in Week 3, but it was his only catch in Week 3. It came off of a busted play and Cromartie didn't keep his concentration long enough. On regular plays, Hartline did zilch.
    It will be interesting to see if Gaffney plays for the Phins

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We really miss Pouha. Ellis and Harrison could make an impact in this game if their conditioning holds up.

A true NT that commands double blockers would give our titans Coples and Wilks sitting duck matchups

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    We really miss Pouha. Ellis and Harrison could make an impact in this game if their conditioning holds up.

A true NT that commands double blockers would give our titans Coples and Wilks sitting duck matchups
    Lets hope he is good to go for sunday, and then can use the extra week for more rest. We definitely miss him on the interior of the line.

Looks like gaffney will be the 3rd WR sunday too. When they spread things out, Id put cro on him and wilson/trufant on bess and hartline with help.

We really should be able to blitz tannenhill and play these guys in man coveragae.