Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How refreshing it is to have some athletic safeties back there

All Pro

How refreshing it is to have some athletic safeties back there

I tell you, we would have been slaughtered on Sunday if Eric Smith would have been back there. It is so refreshing to not see him trail tight ends by ten yards. Bell and Landry have really solidified our secondary and I saw a couple of plays where the opponents were clearly hearing their footsteps and dropped the ball...

Definitely has been a big improvement.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with Landry. Hopefully we can get him back at reasonable money. Really don't want to pay a safety a ton... We already have a lot of money invested in the secondary. It's also scary because even though he's been healthy this year, he still can't be completely trusted to remain healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I tell you, we would have been slaughtered on Sunday if Eric Smith would have been back there. It is so refreshing to not see him trail tight ends by ten yards. Bell and Landry have really solidified our secondary and I saw a couple of plays where the opponents were clearly hearing their footsteps and dropped the ball...
    + more speed inserted at lb and dl the last three weeks helped too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Definitely has been a big improvement.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with Landry. Hopefully we can get him back at reasonable money. Really don't want to pay a safety a ton... We already have a lot of money invested in the secondary. It's also scary because even though he's been healthy this year, he still can't be completely trusted to remain healthy.
    It's a possibility that Revis will be gone, given his desire for big $$$ and his ACL. It will be hard for the team to pony up huge $$$ until they see what he can do on the field. Some team may be dumb enough though to chance it . Would free up a ton of much needed cash to resign guys given the Jets cap situation in 2013.

Veteran
    Landry will be gone next year when it comes time to pay him and we decide to throw $16 million more at Revis. Enjoy while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    It's a possibility that Revis will be gone, given his desire for big $$$ and his ACL. It will be hard for the team to pony up huge $$$ until they see what he can do on the field. Some team may be dumb enough though to chance it . Would free up a ton of much needed cash to resign guys given the Jets cap situation in 2013.
    After seeing the secondary hold up against legit offenses like Houston and NE, I'm really hoping this is the route the team goes. I know Revis is a once in a lifetime player, but I don't see any of the games since his injury going any differently if he's on the field.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be bothered at all if he's on the team for life, but you have to at least consider how viable the Jets would be in the offseason if they got a ransom for Revis and took both Pace and Scott off the books.

Landry hasn't been flagged since the Steelers game and I definitely want him back. Between the extra cash and/or picks for Revis, maybe Bell can be upgraded as well and this secondary is not only strong on the edges but in the interior as well.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Landry will be gone next year when it comes time to pay him and we decide to throw $16 million more at Revis. Enjoy while it lasts.
    It would be hard to move on from Revis, but on a practical level - I don't see us with any more wins this year if Revis would currently be playing. He's a fantastic coverage player [and able tackler] but he's not a big ballhawk, returning picks for TDs and such - creating lots of turnovers.

Our safeties have made the largest difference this year, as far as helping keep us in games, get wins. To me that underscores the importance of looking at the team as a whole and not just counting on a few specials pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    It would be hard to move on from Revis, but on a practical level - I don't see us with any more wins this year if Revis would currently be playing. He's a fantastic coverage player [and able tackler] but he's not a big ballhawk, returning picks for TDs and such - creating lots of turnovers.

Our safeties have made the largest difference this year, as far as helping keep us in games, get wins. To me that underscores the importance of looking at the team as a whole and not just counting on a few specials pieces.
    Boom. I will never understand the people that want to throw all this money at one corner. Give me our current secondary and a pass rush over Revis.

People need to get over this star mentality crap and realize that it is more important that you take a QB away from his weapons than it is to take a single weapon away from the QB.
    Last edited by McGinley; 10-25-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post

If Revis gets a chance at picking a ball off, he is coming down with it. He just doesn't get all the chances in the world to do so. I don't see Revis dropping that INT Cromatie could have had late in the game.

But either way, it's greaet how Cromartie has stepped up in his absence.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    After seeing the secondary hold up against legit offenses like Houston and NE, I'm really hoping this is the route the team goes. I know Revis is a once in a lifetime player, but I don't see any of the games since his injury going any differently if he's on the field.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be bothered at all if he's on the team for life, but you have to at least consider how viable the Jets would be in the offseason if they got a ransom for Revis and took both Pace and Scott off the books.

Landry hasn't been flagged since the Steelers game and I definitely want him back. Between the extra cash and/or picks for Revis, maybe Bell can be upgraded as well and this secondary is not only strong on the edges but in the interior as well.
    Yes I would rather have Landry, and a good free safety, whoever that may be, than Revis. Sorry Revis but you are just one person and I think the team is better if we trade him, or just let him play out his contract. I'd take 2 olbs/pass rushing DE in the draft and probably a free safety. Josh Bush didn't play at all this last game. We'll see how Lankster progresses this year, or we may need another corner with size. Otherwise our defense looks good for the future.

Landry will be gone and will be replaced by Eric Reid from LSU (our #1 pick next year).

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Now if they can only get the O on track.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Landry will be gone and will be replaced by Eric Reid from LSU (our #1 pick next year).
    We need a pass rusher, and speed at LB. Why would we spend a #1 on a position that we already have covered?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We need a pass rusher, and speed at LB. Why would we spend a #1 on a position that we already have covered?
    I'm not saying draft a S #1 next year. But it's not a postion we have covered. After this season both safeties are UFA. We most likely will be looking for 2 starting safeties next year. Maybe we use some of the young guys on the roster but we can't bank on that.

I believe we either take a RB or OLB with our first pick.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I'm not saying draft a S #1 next year. But it's not a postion we have covered. After this season both safeties are UFA. We most likely will be looking for 2 starting safeties next year. Maybe we use some of the young guys on the roster but we can't bank on that.

I like Allen, but I'm a little disappointed that Bush hasn't seen more minutes, especially against teams like the Pats. Was hoping he would be the cover guy that would emerge as the starting FS next year. Appears the guy the Jets didn't think was good enough to make the final 53 is outplaying Bush.

Definitely agree that we go RB or OLB with the first pick if possible.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Now if they can only get the O on track.
    We need a RT, and we will need another guard, and a RB, although maybe the light is coming on for McKnight. We'll see. We need a dual threat RB, and a blocking TE. I'd like to give Rueland more playing time. If he can really learn to block he'll be a great dual threat. By great I mean for an all purpose TE. Smart, workman like, and clutch. By learning to block I mean he has the size, strength, and attitude, but he does not yet understand complex blocking schemes like a true blocking TE.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post

I think(hope) we lock up Landry this year. Think how long we've been waiting to cover that position, and I think he really wants to be here. Can't overlook how important that is. I think pass rusher has got to be the pick here. RBs IMO are a product of the Oline, and so very hard to judge, so I don't agree with taking them before the third round. I'd rather bring in a lot of them and see if one rises.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I agree. But Rex loves his DBs. And Reid may be BPA when we pick. Dont be surprised. I know its early for draft talk.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    I agree. But Rex loves his DBs. And Reid may be BPA when we pick. Dont be surprised. I know its early for draft talk.
    It's never early for draft talk... The draft is the most important factor when building a team and therefore should always be open for discussion.

OLB is the position we should add though. Especially this year with so many good ones available.

Ironic thing is Landry and Bell are average in coverage but in comparison to the garbage that was Smith and Leonhard average would look amazing.

BTW I think it would be a mistake to resign Landry again after this season. Even though I liked the move when it happened and still do I don't think Landry could survive another NFL season. It's actually a miracle he hasn't been hurt yet this season.