Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fall And Fall Of David Harris

The Fall And Fall Of David Harris

JMO..I still wonder if his ankle injury from the Carolina PS game is part of Harris ineffective play this season...I also think the injury problems of Pouha/Ellis have contributed..

The Fall And Fall Of David Harris

October 25, 2012 by SportsGeek33

Let’s cut the flowery introductions here and get straight to the point: David Harris has become a complete liability in the middle of the New York Jets defense. The man that fans once daubed “The Hitman” is now no longer a player who can be relied on when it comes to tackling, and his coverage ability has suddenly slid from being average to outright abysmal.

Consider a few statistics to begin with: Last year Harris made 69 tackles and he missed just six, leaving himself with an 92.0% success rate. So far this year he’s racked up 46 tackles and missed eight, cutting that figure to a meagre 85.1%.

Harris displays what is becoming his trademark arm-tackling.

In terms of coverage, by this point during last season Harris had been targeted by opposition QB’s on 18 different occasions. Ten of those passes resulted in completions, while three were dropped, meaning that the ball found its way into the receivers hands 72% of the time.

This year he’s been targeted 27 times with 20 completions and three drops.

So whenever the ball is thrown in his direction, you can bank on an 85% likelihood that it will end up in the hands of the QB’s intended target.

But perhaps the greatest concern of all is this: according to highly-respected statistical analysts Pro Football Focus, David Harris has become the worst defensive player on the whole of the Jets roster with a miserable overall rating of -9.5. Even more soberingly, in broader terms they presently rank him as being the 42nd best inside linebacker in the NFL – trailing behind the likes of Colin McCarthy, Kelvin Sheppard, and Mason Foster.

These facts and figures don’t paint a very flattering picture of Harris and, when merged together, they create a portrait of a player who is average at best. Harris, it seems, is undergoing a major, rapid, and seemingly inexplicable decline.

At 28, he can hardly be considered an old man and so it seems implausible to suggest that age might explain the sudden nosedive. And although he injured an ankle against Carloina in preseason, nothing has come out of the locker room to suggest that Harris is playing hurt.

Yet for some reason he continues to under-perform in a way that most Jets fans would have found unimaginable. What was once a weakness in terms of speed and agility has now become an outright liability. Yes, Harris is still a force when playing downhill and flowing to meet the ball-carrier, but when it comes to being expected to make a sideline-to-sideline play or beat opposing run-blockers, you may as well just forget it.

Could the fact that he is listed as being 7lbs heavier this season be a factor? It seems unlikely that such a small amount of weight (Harris currently tips the scales at 250lbs) could result in such a negative impact on his overall game.

Harris will earn $9.9M this year.

But wait. Maybe there is something slowing Harris down after all. Perhaps he has been playing with his wallet stuck inside his jersey.

In August 2011 the former Michigan man put pen-to-paper on a new four-year contract that was worth $36 million (not including a tidy signing bonus of $8 million). Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the highest paid linebacker in the NFL is not Patrick Willis, DeMeco Ryans or Sean Lee – it’s the New York Jets’ very own David Harris.

This year alone he will earn – if that’s the correct word – $9.9 million. And, for whatever it’s worth (quite a lot it seems), in 2014 he could receive an additional $5 million through incentive-related bonuses.

Perhaps the person who’s paid to provide Harris with advice on how to manage all of his money ought to tell him that with his current level of performance, he probably shouldn’t rely on collecting the final handout.

http://sportsgeekguy.wordpress.com/2...-david-harris/

Veteran
    Excellent, as stated before, Harris has gotten old fast and the JETS has to quickly re-up on LB's. The jets poor defense this season has not been the front four or the secondary it's the linbackers. a perfect example of this showing was the Houston game, when in one instance Kenrick Ellis folks, Kenrick Ellis is chasing Foster near the sideline in the secondary. that should never happen.

All Pro
    Harris has looked ten times better since Demario Davis is playing next to him. He had to cover ground for himself and half of Bart Scott's responsibility.

I think it's gotta be the ankle, it takes a long time for an ankle to heal and it just won't heal until you rest it. The guy is toughing it out and playing on it week after week...give the guy a break, he deserves to be applauded not criticized.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Harris has looked ten times better since Demario Davis is playing next to him. He had to cover ground for himself and half of Bart Scott's responsibility.
    Plus a million

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I agree.

A little early to make that statement though, isn't it? The Colts are in the bottom third of the league in rushing, and the Pats averaged over 4/YPC on Sunday.

Let's see what happens this week against a team with a good running game that already took it to the Jets earlier this year. I've been thoroughly disappointed in Harris this year and I'm not ready to say that Davis on the field has done anything more than keep Bart Scott on the bench (where he belongs).

I believe in Rex's defense one ILB is expected to take on blocks and let the other ILB flow to the ball. Bart was always great at taking on blocks freeing harris up to make tackles. Hopefully rex starts to use harris and his size/weight to take on blockers and let demario fly to the ball.

What hurts in pass coverage is that harris has the ear piece, so he basically needs to stay on the field on 3rd down or we need to use hand signals to get the defensive call in. Maybe someone can answer this....but what do teams do if their earpiece player gets hurt? Could we transfer that responsibility easily to someone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Harris is the highest paid middle linebacker in the league. Is it possible that he is suffering from complacency from having made his big money? Would not be the first player to do so. I still cant believe the money Tanny gave him.

The down fall of the Tanny era could very well be linked to who he has made the biggest financial commitments to. Being a cap guru only works if you are paying the right players and not over committing to players who are not living up to their contracts (Harris, Holmes, Sanchez)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I've always liked Harris and don't think his play has fallen off as much as the article claims it has, but his contract was the worst the Jets handed out in that period.

I can't imagine there being a market anywhere close to what he was ultimately paid. Plus, he was the type of guy that wasn't looking to maximize his value to the very last drop. Somehow, they ended up paying him Patrick Willis money.

I know there were cap issues that prohibited the Jets from extending him when they otherwise would, but having him play under the cap and then giving him this deal was alloting WAY too much money to a guy who was very good, but not great.

I'm OK with what they did with Holmes. Obviously it hasn't really worked out til this point, but at the time, I understood why they did it.

Hall Of Fame
    Harris is paid like a "difference maker". His play should not be effected by the DL as greatly as other LBs. The decline in his play is stark.

It is either the injury or the money. Most large contracts end up being bad in the end, but this one has gone south quicker than expected.

Veteran
    I'm glad he's making twice what Patrick Willis is making. We are really good with the moolah over here in Florham Park, yessir. Thank God we're under the cap, sheer brilliance.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Harris is paid like a "difference maker". His play should not be effected by the DL as greatly as other LBs. The decline in his play is stark.

It is either the injury or the money. Most large contracts end up being bad in the end, but this one has gone south quicker than expected.
    That is a great point. He is being paid to be a difference maker, if his success is so tied to the other ILB and the D line then is he really worth that much money? That sounds more like a system guy and someone who is pretty interchangeable. Not someone who should be the HIGHEST paid LB in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Harris is the highest paid middle linebacker in the league. Is it possible that he is suffering from complacency from having made his big money? Would not be the first player to do so. I still cant believe the money Tanny gave him.
    Thought that but he played great last season after signing the contract..Which is why JMO his ankle is worse than being reported..IIRC, he has a chronic condition with this ankle?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Thought that but he played great last season after signing the contract..Which is why JMO his ankle is worse than being reported..IIRC, he has a chronic condition with this ankle?
    I dont know, havent heard anything about a chronic condition. If it is a chronic condition I hope this was not something that was known about prior to his contract.

All League
    he didn't look good last year either

He has been overpaid since the day he got that contract

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    he didn't look good last year either

He has been overpaid since the day he got that contract
    maybe I have my years confused..Didn't he have 4-5 sacks last year, 3-4 INTs..tons of tackles, etc...?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    maybe I have my years confused..Didn't he have 4-5 sacks last year, 3-4 INTs..tons of tackles, etc...?
    86 tackles 5 sacks 4 INTs 1 returned for a TD.

It was his lowest total for tackles in his career thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    This is sad. Get a real GM in here pronto.

The year prior to Harris getting his monster contract I noticed his play regressing at warp speed. I asked, is it just me, but I'm not seeing 25% of the bone crushing tackles he used to make, lot of people concurred.

Tannenbaum couldn't see this himself?

He paid Harris and Holmes tomorrow for what they did yesterday and he paid Sanchez tomorrow for I don't know what, being a Bottom 5 QB who has never had a consistent good stretch his entire career? I think the answer with Sanchez is more devious. Tannenbaum knows his fate is tied to Sanchez so he bought HIMSELF another year by guaranteeing Sanchez 2013.

So we have about 30% of the Cap tied to this dead wood next year. Gee, I wonder why we have no depth.