Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fall And Fall Of David Harris

If there is a coaching GM change I would harris will definetly be cut this offseason or asked to take a salary cut. Hell it might happen if Rex is still the head coach.

I could see us realistically with 3-4 new starting LBers next season.

It is a perfect time to switch to a 4-3 defense and highlight our young Dlineman Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis etc....

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=249648

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He is not THE problem, but he is an issue. His salary is certainly an issue. Having 13 million dollars tied up in him next year is an issue.
    Its structured like that for a reason... Pace and Scott come off the books and they likely will draft a starting LB high. In 2014 Harris's cap hit drops to 7M and can be cut to save 5M in cap space if they want to

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    If there is a coaching GM change I would harris will definetly be cut this offseason or asked to take a salary cut. Hell it might happen if Rex is still the head coach.

I could see us realistically with 3-4 new starting LBers next season.

It is a perfect time to switch to a 4-3 defense and highlight our young Dlineman Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis etc....

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=249648
    He is not being cut when there will be 9 million in dead money by doing so. Why would he take a pay cut when he has guaranteed money owed him?

Bewildered Beast
    I didn't daub anybody.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Its structured like that for a reason... Pace and Scott come off the books and they likely will draft a starting LB high. In 2014 Harris's cap hit drops to 7M and can be cut to save 5M in cap space if they want to
    That is kind of the point people are trying to make. You are paying Harris as if he is the best LB in the league this year and next, he is clearly not that player. The fact that the Jets can get out from under his contract in 2014 is good, but isnt that an indictment as to how bad of a contract it was if people are looking for ways to get rid of it? If Harris was so good and even came close to being worth the money he is being paid, then no one is looking for a way out.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Harris is going to be fine... He's been off his game this season but he is definitely one of the top ILB in the league. He is not the problem with this team
    Having the #30th ranked rush defense on a team that cannot rely on their offense to win games is a large problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Nmandi was going to cost way more than Cro and be way less the player Cro is.
    From what I've read he's been miscast in the Philly D. Not playing the man to man as much. I might be wrong and not defending him just remembering hearing/reading that

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Having the #30th ranked rush defense on a team that cannot rely on their offense to win games is a large problem.
    Okay by all means blame it all on Harris, he hasn't played great this year. I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt based on his years of performance that he will turn it around

Was he ever really that great to begin with?

All Pro
    He played well last week.. Although I felt Davis was the best linebacker on the field last week sideline to sideline guy is tremendous.. He was all over the field .. Still think it was dumb for Rex to put him on Welker.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    Was he ever really that great to begin with?
    He wasn't bad.. Scott,Thomas,Pace aren't exactly helping him out there with there plays.

You watch the niners play while Patrick Willis is great the help he gets from the rest of the linebackers are tremendous. His olb hit home on blitzes. Bowman is a total stud at shedding blocks and tracking down rbs.

Harris doesn't have this kind of support anymore..

86 tackles 5 sacks 4 INTs 1 returned for a TD.

It was his lowest total for tackles in his career thus far.
    You realize that's an outstanding year, right?

Tackles is largely a garbage stat. 5 sacks and 4 picks for a ILB is nuts.

Harris never has been and never will be Patrick Willis or a young Ray Lewis. I mean how fair is it to compare a guy to future Hall of Famers?

Harris is an above average ILB. But he should not be looked at to assume additional responsibilities which is what happens when your defense has no speed.

These young kids HAVE to play.

I still like Harris. He's still solid in my eyes. But there's no mistaking that the best players on this defense right now are Cromartie and Landry.

Coples is definitely showing some flashes now, too.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 10-25-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    You realize that's an outstanding year, right?

Tackles is largely a garbage stat. 5 sacks and 4 picks for a ILB is nuts.
    I am not saying it is a bad year, it was in response to CMart's question about his numbers from last year.

The point is still that his play does not warrant the money he is getting.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That's why we aren't very good.

Harris, decent player but not worth that money.
    Revis, worth every penny but hurt.
    Holmes, not worth it and now hurt.
    Cro, money well spent.
    Sanchez, not really bad for a starter, somewhat over paid.
    Pace, not worth the money.
    Scott, not even close to the money.

To me, that shows the problem with the GM, not the coach. The GM has made 4 of our top 7 salaries grossly over paid, with another one out for the year. For example of money, would you trade Sanchez and Harris for Any QB in the league? Peyton, Brady, Eli, who ever. Because Sanchez and Harris make as much as any QB in the league.
    many of the bloated salaries are getting cut or renegotiated this offseason. the cap does not matter for this year. what's done is done. if they can get out of a lot of that garbage this offseason, the team will have a lot of cap room to work with.

I am not saying it is a bad year, it was in response to CMart's question about his numbers from last year.

The point is still that his play does not warrant the money he is getting.
    He got 36/4 is it a lot of money? Yes but we also locked up a top ILB for 4 years and will be cuttable after the 3rd year (age 30). I'd rather overpay for his age 29 season then be locked in for years when he's 30+ and in decline like Scott and pace are

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Is Harris overpaid? Probably.

But that doesn't change the fact that he's still our best player in the front seven and is our only reliable tackler in that group as well.

It doesn't exactly help either when you're constantly picking up the slack from slow turds like Bart, Pace and BT.

All League
    He is not THE problem, but he is an issue. His salary is certainly an issue. Having 13 million dollars tied up in him next year is an issue.
    Why do we worry so much about salary cap numbers? Tannenbaum is the one who has to worry about it, and he's pretty darn good. Seems to me they almost always have the money they need when it's needed.

Paid like the best in the biz and plays like he is a above average backer.

I would trade Harris in a heartbeat for Lance Briggs!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    Paid like the best in the biz and plays like he is a above average backer.

I would trade Harris in a heartbeat for Lance Briggs!!!!!!!!!!
    You would trade him for a 4-3 OLB ??? Smh

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Why do we worry so much about salary cap numbers? Tannenbaum is the one who has to worry about it, and he's pretty darn good. Seems to me they almost always have the money they need when it's needed.
    LOL..really? They had enough money to find a better solution at RT? They had enough money to find a decent veteran WR? They had enough money to bring in a solid TE?