Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 76 of 76

Thread: The Fall And Fall Of David Harris

  1. #61
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Why do we worry so much about salary cap numbers? Tannenbaum is the one who has to worry about it, and he's pretty darn good. Seems to me they almost always have the money they need when it's needed.
    Jeez.... What is the matter with you people. Any money paid to Peter is always always always robbed from Paul first. That is just the way it works in a hard salary cap world.

    The reason that we are always looking for bargains in the UDFA pool or sniffing around the practice squad or waiver wire is because we have p1ssed away too much money overpaying for players who do not live up to their contracts. Either that or we traded away our own picks. We have no depth and we have massively overpaid for the wrong guys.

    This roster is in a mess and the mess can be laid squarely at the door of our pathetic GM who made these stupid decisions in the first place. Now you say that we should not worry about the mess because Mike Tannenbaum is pretty good with these kinds of things.

    No He is not.

    He is horrible at this stuff and he needs to be replaced with someone who is actually qualified to do the job. He needs to go back to being the tea boy. That is what is is good at.

  2. #62
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    18,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Is Harris overpaid? Probably.

    But that doesn't change the fact that he's still our best player in the front seven and is our only reliable tackler in that group as well.

    It doesn't exactly help either when you're constantly picking up the slack from slow turds like Bart, Pace and BT.
    Probably? There's no disputing the fact that he is.

    Reliable tackler? Maybe in years past. He's missed several key tackles this season.

    Picking up the slack? Harris is no speed demon himself. Faster than Scott, Pace, and Thomas, perhaps, but that's not saying much.

    Harris is being paid as an elite player, and he's playing like an above-average one. That's a problem.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    Paid like the best in the biz and plays like he is a above average backer.

    I would trade Harris in a heartbeat for Lance Briggs!!!!!!!!!!
    Different LBs in different systems/schemes. Briggs an OLB in the Tampa type 4-3. Harris the insider LB within a 3-4 or MLB in a 4-3

  4. #64
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    many of the bloated salaries are getting cut or renegotiated this offseason. the cap does not matter for this year. what's done is done. if they can get out of a lot of that garbage this offseason, the team will have a lot of cap room to work with.
    They will have some room to work with. But, that is the reason the team is not deep this year, because so much money is tied up in players not producing. It's not baseball, where you can just spend more. Alot of money tied up in players not producing, plus several bad drafts = mediocre team.

    Now, I very much liked Tanny's draft this year. 1st three picks all look to be decent to good players. And, I do like Harris. But a good player can not be paid like an elite player, which Harris is.

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Why do we worry so much about salary cap numbers? Tannenbaum is the one who has to worry about it, and he's pretty darn good. Seems to me they almost always have the money they need when it's needed.
    We couldn't add depth on the O-Line because there was no cap room. There are several players who are making a large amount of money, and are not producing. Therefore, our bad cap players are preventing us from signing other players to plug holes.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am not saying it is a bad year, it was in response to CMart's question about his numbers from last year.

    The point is still that his play does not warrant the money he is getting.
    Better way to look at it:

    Whether he is worth what he makes or not, there's too much money tied up in the defense compared to the offense.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Better way to look at it:

    Whether he is worth what he makes or not, there's too much money tied up in the defense compared to the offense.
    does anyone have a rough split of the % of salary for offense and defense this season?

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,197
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    does anyone have a rough split of the % of salary for offense and defense this season?
    I did a very quick look at the current Jets cap and it looks like of the 127 million the Jets are spending 73 million on defense and 54 million on offense.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    You would trade him for a 4-3 OLB ??? Smh
    Yes!! All freckin day! I know 4-3 whatever, he is a stud. Let the Genius Rex figure out how to use him.

    He is a difference maker, a play maker, something we dont have with our linebackers.

    We need better talent on Defense and Briggs would bring that.
    Last edited by LA Jet Fan; 10-25-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: adding words

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I did a very quick look at the current Jets cap and it looks like of the 127 million the Jets are spending 73 million on defense and 54 million on offense.
    and how much of that is on IR?

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,197
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and how much of that is on IR?
    About 22 million. Revis and Holmes are obviously the bulk of that.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Harris has looked ten times better since Demario Davis is playing next to him. He had to cover ground for himself and half of Bart Scott's responsibility.
    For sure. But Harris could also stand to lose a bit of weight and get some explosiveness back

  13. #73
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL..really? They had enough money to find a better solution at RT? They had enough money to find a decent veteran WR? They had enough money to bring in a solid TE?
    Going into the season, they had almost 8 million in cap space. They are choosing not to use it. The Jets have historically been cheap with offensive linemen going back to when Herm Edwards was coach.

  14. #74
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Jeez.... What is the matter with you people. Any money paid to Peter is always always always robbed from Paul first. That is just the way it works in a hard salary cap world.

    The reason that we are always looking for bargains in the UDFA pool or sniffing around the practice squad or waiver wire is because we have p1ssed away too much money overpaying for players who do not live up to their contracts. Either that or we traded away our own picks. We have no depth and we have massively overpaid for the wrong guys.

    This roster is in a mess and the mess can be laid squarely at the door of our pathetic GM who made these stupid decisions in the first place. Now you say that we should not worry about the mess because Mike Tannenbaum is pretty good with these kinds of things.

    No He is not.

    He is horrible at this stuff and he needs to be replaced with someone who is actually qualified to do the job. He needs to go back to being the tea boy. That is what is is good at.
    Well, us people recognize that there are those smarter than the fans that know what they're doing and how to do it. Tannenbaum has a track record of managing the cap well. Us people realize that fans are not the most qualified to make these decisions. Being an armchair GM is really easy when you have the added benefit of hindsight.

  15. #75
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,457
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    We couldn't add depth on the O-Line because there was no cap room. There are several players who are making a large amount of money, and are not producing. Therefore, our bad cap players are preventing us from signing other players to plug holes.
    o-line depth? all around the nfl are teams struggling to find solid o-linemen. it's a position that is thin throughout the nfl. look around. most teams have weak to average at best lines.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    o-line depth? all around the nfl are teams struggling to find solid o-linemen. it's a position that is thin throughout the nfl. look around. most teams have weak to average at best lines.
    Bingo. Most teams don't have 5 quality starters and people here ***** about a lack of OL depth.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us