Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh My Goodness A Positive Sanchez Article!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This isn't about one game. It's about this kid being in year 4 and still making a lot of the same mistakes he made as a rookie.

Sanchez is basically the worst kind of QB to have. He's not a flatout bust which would make it easy to turn the page. He's the kind of guy who will give you hope throughout a game only to stick a knife in your heart at the very end with one of his patented late game turnovers.
    Not a patented fourth quarter comeback of which he has 11 the third most since he entered the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He's very inaccurate.
    He has poor pocket presence.
    He has a habit of making awful costly turnovers on a weekly basis.
    He squanders tons of plays when we get it right on offense.
    He at times in games looks like a terrific QB.
    He has had a terrible group of WR the last two years.

An endorsement from a jag that played with Jawalrus Russell is not going to sway me. Sanchez is a lower tier QB who has not improved with time and has shown he cannot make up for any kind of sub par team mates on his team.
    You know who you are.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    Not a patented fourth quarter comeback of which he has 11 the third most since he entered the league.
    And how many of those comebacks were the result of Sanchez carrying this offense as opposed to Jones, LT or Greene breaking a run late in the game, Holmes taking a little short slant the distance, or our defense getting a key turnover to set us up with great field position?

Out of the 11 4th quarter comebacks, I've only been really impressed by Sanchez in one of them. Against Houston in 2010, a team with an historically bad pass defense. Seriously, look it up. I believe Houston had the 2nd or 3rd worst secondary since the merger.

When someone like Eli pulls out a late game comeback, it's always impressive. When Sanchez does it, you get the feeling that someone like Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell could do the same thing considering the circumstances.

The problem is we expect alot in NY.

We have a coach who promises Super Bowls, a coach who constantly says we have a top 5 defense and a fan base who recently has finally tasted success. All this leads to a feeling of elitness.

We have a middle of the pack Quarterback and a middle of the pack defense. Are running backs are average at best.

With all that said we because of the success of the team and the hype by our coach we have bought into this thinking that we are an elite team.

Basically we have been duped!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    QBs Schillens has played with ...

Jamarcus Russell
    Jason Campbell
    Bruce Gradkowski
    Kyle Boller
    Carson Palmer
    Andrew Walter
    Charlie Frye

.... I guess its all about your perception of greatness.
    His pop Warner QB was all state.

And how many of those comebacks were the result of Sanchez carrying this offense as opposed to Jones, LT or Greene breaking a run late in the game, Holmes taking a little short slant the distance, or our defense getting a key turnover to set us up with great field position?

Out of the 11 4th quarter comebacks, I've only been really impressed by Sanchez in one of them. Against Houston in 2010, a team with an historically bad pass defense. Seriously, look it up. I believe Houston had the 2nd or 3rd worst secondary since the merger.

When someone like Eli pulls out a late game comeback, it's always impressive. When Sanchez does it, you get the feeling that someone like Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell could do the same thing considering the circumstances.
    Bullsh*t on that one UT. I support you in the notion that we should have contingency plan for Sanchez by drafting a QB in this draft (Rd1-3) if he continues to be up and down. But what you wrote there is BS.

A bunch of Eli's come backs have been Cruz taking a short gainer and turning it up field to get a score.

Also if we are going to throw away Sanchez's good games against the bad teams, he shouldn't take any flack for losing to the good ones. Can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Most of that could be said of Tony Romo (except that he has Dez Bryant, Austin and Witten). It certainly hasn't clicked for Mark like it eventually did for a guy like Elli who made a ton of costly turnovers a few years back, but he is certainly our best option for the foreseeable future. I am not willing to drop Mark and bring in a BRandon Weeden type. If we somehow finish 3-13 and get the number 1 pick then I would be ok with moving in a different direction at QB, but for now I am happy with Mark as our QB.
    Romo has put up WAY better numbers than sanchez and has often had a lousy oline or a bad defense to contend with. The bad turnovers are common but Romo is way more accurate, throws for more yards, better td to int and better passer rating. I don't see how any rational person in the whole world could be "happy with mark as our QB".

While Keller has been on the field this year, Sanchez has been playing well. Let's see how the rest of the season pans out. I'm undecided on Sanchez at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I watched the NE game twice... MARK was really good, NOT Perfect. His receivers are average.

I also watched Pennington in 2007 (NFL Replay), game 1, 2007. Mark is MUCH better.

We should have won.... 3rd down slant? Should have run. Drops?
    That is the point though with Sanchez. In his really good games he still makes horrible throws like the int on the hill play, still turns it over at awful times (game ending fumble), still has terrible pocket presence (get sacked on the go ahead Fg drive).

You could take the good with the bad if during his good games he threw like he did in the NE game without the 4 or 5 mind numbingly bad plays.

Veteran
    Well, the grass is always greener.

Both Stafford and Sam Bradford were top 3 picks IIRC. Freeman was the next QB off after Sanchez. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to hit on a QB in the draft, even with a high pick. It's certainly gotten cheaper to miss - with the new CBA - but the loss of development time for the franchise itself is something you can never get back.

I do find it interesting that when two of our 'best' players go down - in Revis and Holmes - we've pulled closer together to play better as a team - and have largely been successful.

There are so many teams built around 'that' one or two guys who aren't playing well this year. If the whole team gets better, Sanchez's results will get better too. Worked well enough for Alex Smith! So - I grumble - but I still take a wait-and-see attitude towards Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Well, the grass is always greener.

Both Stafford and Sam Bradford were top 3 picks IIRC. Freeman was the next QB off after Sanchez. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to hit on a QB in the draft, even with a high pick. It's certainly gotten cheaper to miss - with the new CBA - but the loss of development time for the franchise itself is something you can never get back.

I do find it interesting that when two of our 'best' players go down - in Revis and Holmes - we've pulled closer together to play better as a team - and have largely been successful.

There are so many teams built around 'that' one or two guys who aren't playing well this year. If the whole team gets better, Sanchez's results will get better too. Worked well enough for Alex Smith! So - I grumble - but I still take a wait-and-see attitude towards Sanchez.
    Sanchez in time can top out at alex smith. As in a suspect Qb hat can look good on a team with a great D, running game and oline as long as he doesn't turn it over.

Waterboy
    playing QB in NY is all about "what have you done for me lately?". How quickly people forget the playoff runs of 2 and 3 yrs ago. Thats, not easy to do in the NFL.

I think he has done well in the situation he has been given. Could he have done better? Absolutely! Could he have done worse? No Question!

It would be interesting to see how he would have developed in Detroit, Tampa and/or St. Louis.

or even better yet, in a Patriots or Giants caliber offence. (Not saying he'd be better than Brady or Eli, but at least he'd be giving talented surroundings).
    Last edited by dickie_kak; 10-25-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Bullsh*t on that one UT. I support you in the notion that we should have contingency plan for Sanchez by drafting a QB in this draft (Rd1-3) if he continues to be up and down. But what you wrote there is BS.

A bunch of Eli's come backs have been Cruz taking a short gainer and turning it up field to get a score.

Also if we are going to throw away Sanchez's good games against the bad teams, he shouldn't take any flack for losing to the good ones. Can't have it both ways.
    Sure, Cruz has bailed Eli out a couple of times.

But I've also seen Eli make some incredible, jaw dropping throws while under duress late in games, including both Superbowl victories.

I've seen Sanchez ONCE put this offense on his back late in a game and lead them to victory. And it was against a team that featured an all-time sh*tastic secondary.

All Pro
    That is the point though with Sanchez. In his really good games he still makes horrible throws like the int on the hill play, still turns it over at awful times (game ending fumble), still has terrible pocket presence (get sacked on the go ahead Fg drive).

You could take the good with the bad if during his good games he threw like he did in the NE game without the 4 or 5 mind numbingly bad plays.
    Not to nit-pick, but didn't he take the sack so as to keep the clock running / burn a NE time out? He could have thrown it away, but that would have left Brady even more time.

Veteran

Arrow

Rookie
    Rex for me is a great marketing man at the helm, he deflects alot of the teams failings onto himself, letting the team get on with it.

The Tebow on 3rd & short tactic works, so why on earth didn't Rex put him in at 3rd & goal, the game should've been over & Sanchez didn't convert.

Not Sanchez's fault, wrong play wrong time.

I was watching in London on Sunday, had money on us to win (money line) at half time being a one score game was a gift, I think with the defence not being that great Tebow could be a better option as a starter as if he played like he did for Denver last season it papers over the defensive cracks.

I like Sanchez, as a franchise the Jets need consistency after the Vinny & Pennington years & we were one bad call away from turning over the Pats on the road.

He's good enough to get his team back into the game vs much better opposition & almost take the win....stick with him with Tebow in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    If, for example, rookie receiver Stephen Hill catches that third-down pass late in the fourth quarter in New England, the first down would have allowed the Jets to bleed the clock down to mere seconds before kicking the go-ahead field goal instead of the eternity they left Tom Brady to tie the game and send it to overtime.
    I'll play this silly game...
    If, for example, Sanchez doesn't botch the hand-off near the endzone and then kick the ball out for safety, or hits a wide open receiver in the endzone, or doesn't fumble the ball away on the final drive...

That's a lot of 'ifs' that had serious impacts on the game. Instead we have to dismiss those mistakes and delude ourselves about a below-average effort against a Pats defense that allows an average QB passer rating of 99.

That's right, what some fans call "one of Mark's best games" was below the statistically average for QB rating against NE. And QB ratings don't account for fumbles or missing wide open receivers.

This isn't rocket science.

Veteran
    No, pretty much only you feel that way. If Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell could do it, why aren't they?

Veteran

Sorry, but taking the sack at on the go-ahead FG drive was a better play than him throwing the ball away and stopping the clock. In theory, anyway. I think that shows his understanding of how the game is played.

The main reason for rage in Sanchez posts are personal opinions on what defines a good QB.

As I've said before here's the one thing that everybody seems to ignore:

The last 9 Super Bowls have been won by guys who:

A) Will be Hall of Famers. Eli, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Roethlisberger

B) Simple math: The last 9 Super Bowls have been won by 6 QB's.

C) The average season for statistically the worst QB on this list (Roethlisberger) 3,149 yards, 60+% completion rate, 21 TD's a year (including rushing), 13 Turnovers a year (Fumbles + Picks). These aren't stellar. He's had one 30+ TD season in his career. He can be considered largely a "game manager" statistically (even though that's far from true if you watch him play.) If he's the bare minimum, Sanchez isn't close, that's the issue here.

Passer rating sums this up in a nice bow:

Roethlisberger's career PR through 4 seasons: 93.75. Completion percentage was over 60%.

Sanchez? 74 PR, Completion percentage: 55%.

Sanchez is also on pace for his second lowest rated year. So it's not like you can point at improvement. When you REALLY break it down, Sanchez hasn't really improved. It's why I remain pessimistic about him.

There's also no measurement for inaccuracy killing YAC opportunities. My money is that he'd be up in the top 2 or 3 of that category.