Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh My Goodness A Positive Sanchez Article!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The main reason for rage in Sanchez posts are personal opinions on what defines a good QB.

As I've said before here's the one thing that everybody seems to ignore:

The last 9 Super Bowls have been won by guys who:

A) Will be Hall of Famers. Eli, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Roethlisberger

B) Simple math: The last 9 Super Bowls have been won by 6 QB's.

C) The average season for statistically the worst QB on this list (Roethlisberger) 3,149 yards, 60+% completion rate, 21 TD's a year (including rushing), 13 Turnovers a year (Fumbles + Picks). These aren't stellar. He's had one 30+ TD season in his career. He can be considered largely a "game manager" statistically (even though that's far from true if you watch him play.) If he's the bare minimum, Sanchez isn't close, that's the issue here.

Passer rating sums this up in a nice bow:

Roethlisberger's career PR through 4 seasons: 93.75. Completion percentage was over 60%.

Sanchez? 74 PR, Completion percentage: 55%.

Sanchez is also on pace for his second lowest rated year. So it's not like you can point at improvement. When you REALLY break it down, Sanchez hasn't really improved. It's why I remain pessimistic about him.

There's also no measurement for inaccuracy killing YAC opportunities. My money is that he'd be up in the top 2 or 3 of that category.

Can we take a breath before deciding he's finished? Dude has played against 4 of the best defenses in the league so far...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Your reading comprehension is still as good as ever...

Your agenda based on fantasy stats is strong as ever though.
    Fantasy stats? haha I love hearing this one. Yeah, i'm so happy he's nothing like Brady, Rodgers, Eli, Brees, Big Ben, or Manning... all those QBs only care about fantasy stats and not winning Super Bowls like Sanchez!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Can we take a breath before deciding he's finished? Dude has played against 4 of the best defenses in the league so far...
    So it's ok in those situations for the offense to be completely ineffectual?

In before "the talent around him sucks."

Do you honestly think a Wide Receiving core of Marques Colston, Victor Cruz, and Wes Welker would make a lick of difference?

You think those guys would be as good as they are without the QB's they all respectively have?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    And how many of those comebacks were the result of Sanchez carrying this offense as opposed to Jones, LT or Greene breaking a run late in the game, Holmes taking a little short slant the distance, or our defense getting a key turnover to set us up with great field position?

Out of the 11 4th quarter comebacks, I've only been really impressed by Sanchez in one of them. Against Houston in 2010, a team with an historically bad pass defense. Seriously, look it up. I believe Houston had the 2nd or 3rd worst secondary since the merger.

When someone like Eli pulls out a late game comeback, it's always impressive. When Sanchez does it, you get the feeling that someone like Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell could do the same thing considering the circumstances.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=SancMa00

Well honestly I really feel bad for you then. Some of these comebacks have been some of the most exciting moments in recent years as a Jets fan and have been some really exciting games. Obviously you didn't enjoy them because you were too busy being angry about how unimpressive these game winning drives were such as the TD drive capped by a Sanchez TD run in Pitt in the snow, or the long pass to Braylon to beat IND in the playoffs, or the wins against SD and Buffalo last year. Apparently for a comeback victory to count Sanchez needs to go 5-5 for 80 yds and a td while also catching all 5 of those passes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I would say about Sanchez is that we should wait for the end of the year before deciding that this year is worse than last. 3 of his 7 games so far have been Houston, SF, and @Pitt (currently #1, #2, and #5 in passing yards against).

I suspect he'll end up the year in the middle of the pack, statistically. And while everyone wants the best QB in the NFL, if you have the 16th best one, it's not so easy to improve.

It's a *lot* easier to improve other positions, which would be the most logical way to improve the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Not to nit-pick, but didn't he take the sack so as to keep the clock running / burn a NE time out? He could have thrown it away, but that would have left Brady even more time.
    lol, are you saying he intentionally changed a 36 yard fg into a 46 yarder to save a few seconds on the clock by taking a sack, one similar to the one that ended the game except he managed not to fumble.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    The problem is we expect alot in NY.

We have a coach who promises Super Bowls, a coach who constantly says we have a top 5 defense and a fan base who recently has finally tasted success. All this leads to a feeling of elitness.

We have a middle of the pack Quarterback and a middle of the pack defense. Are running backs are average at best.

With all that said we because of the success of the team and the hype by our coach we have bought into this thinking that we are an elite team.

Basically we have been duped!!!
    I agree with you regarding our recent success. The teams success over the years has definetly created a bit of an entitled, spoiled attitude amongst some fans. However I disagree on blaming Rex for promising Superbowls. Jets fans have been whining about everything and acting like a-holes towards their QBs for many years....way before Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Sorry, but taking the sack at on the go-ahead FG drive was a better play than him throwing the ball away and stopping the clock. In theory, anyway. I think that shows his understanding of how the game is played.
    Are you INSANE! He turned a 36 yarder into a 46 yarder with that move. If he wanted to waste time he should have checked out of any dumb pass play they were running into a simple running play.

Anyone that truly suggest it was smart to get sacked, get knocked back 10 yards in fg range and risk a fumble is pure our stupid.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    I agree with you regarding our recent success. The teams success over the years has definetly created a bit of an entitled, spoiled attitude amongst some fans. However I disagree on blaming Rex for promising Superbowls. Jets fans have been whining about everything and acting like a-holes towards their QBs for many years....way before Rex.
    I understand your feelings on Rex, I was trying to make a point of all the hype that Jet fans buy into.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Are you INSANE! He turned a 36 yarder into a 46 yarder with that move. If he wanted to waste time he should have checked out of any dumb pass play they were running into a simple running play.

Anyone that truly suggest it was smart to get sacked, get knocked back 10 yards in fg range and risk a fumble is pure our stupid.

First of all, it was a 43 yarder. Second of all, Kerley fell down on the route, thus screwing up the designed call. It was the PROPER move to fall down and keep the clock moving.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The main reason for rage in Sanchez posts are personal opinions on what defines a good QB.

As I've said before here's the one thing that everybody seems to ignore:

The last 9 Super Bowls have been won by guys who:

A) Will be Hall of Famers. Eli, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Roethlisberger

B) Simple math: The last 9 Super Bowls have been won by 6 QB's.

C) The average season for statistically the worst QB on this list (Roethlisberger) 3,149 yards, 60+% completion rate, 21 TD's a year (including rushing), 13 Turnovers a year (Fumbles + Picks). These aren't stellar. He's had one 30+ TD season in his career. He can be considered largely a "game manager" statistically (even though that's far from true if you watch him play.) If he's the bare minimum, Sanchez isn't close, that's the issue here.

Passer rating sums this up in a nice bow:

Roethlisberger's career PR through 4 seasons: 93.75. Completion percentage was over 60%.

Sanchez? 74 PR, Completion percentage: 55%.

Sanchez is also on pace for his second lowest rated year. So it's not like you can point at improvement. When you REALLY break it down, Sanchez hasn't really improved. It's why I remain pessimistic about him.

There's also no measurement for inaccuracy killing YAC opportunities. My money is that he'd be up in the top 2 or 3 of that category.
    Interesting...6 QB;s.... Fine. 6 out of 32? We dont have one of the 6. So what are we to do? Yes, mark made a few errors Sunday BUT he played VERY well. here in Charlotte..unbiased people are saying he looked good. IMO..good enough to win.

If our front office did a better job at keeping Braylon and putting a better team around him..this conversation would not take place. He would be good enough.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just don't get why:
    Bradford gets a free pass (on this board especially whenever he's brought up) when he's played in one meaningful game, and he's really sucked for the majority of his career

Freeman gets a free pass when he's sucked outside of one year and has never played in a meaningful games

Stafford at least has a 5000 yard season on his resume.He's earned teflon.

This isn't even about Sanchez as I've given up on the Sanchez/Jets marriage ever working..but I don't understand why he's killed for everything while those guys, especially Freeman and BRadford who are WORSE get off scot free.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    I just don't get why:
    Bradford gets a free pass (on this board especially whenever he's brought up) when he's played in one meaningful game, and he's really sucked for the majority of his career

Freeman gets a free pass when he's sucked outside of one year and has never played in a meaningful games

Stafford at least has a 5000 yard season on his resume.He's earned teflon.

This isn't even about Sanchez as I've given up on the Sanchez/Jets marriage ever working..but I don't understand why he's killed for everything while those guys, especially Freeman and BRadford who are WORSE get off scot free.
    Oh and don't forget Cam Newton and Luck is "amazing"... If Sanchez was talking like Newton I could see the Sanchez hate. But it's not only on JI. For whatever reason NFL Network has been grilling him as well. I don't get it. Suddenly rookie Qb's are better than Sanchez after 7 games? Please stop the madness. Luck has done nothing but he is getting the benefit of the doubt? They sure have dropped Cam Newton "awesomeness" LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, it was a 43 yarder. Second of all, Kerley fell down on the route, thus screwing up the designed call. It was the PROPER move to fall down and keep the clock moving.
    The designed call was a pass play, moving a fg 10 yards further back is pure lunacy. If you are running a pass play you have accepted the fact that the clock may stop if you are not successful from the moment the play is called. Not throwing it away was pure idiocy on that play.

Do you think that if folk missed that kick people would be applauding Sanchez for getting sacked to use up some time? Pure bullocks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is Sanchez is not worthy of all of the scorn that some of us have for him... That is all...
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-25-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The designed call was a pass play, moving a fg 10 yards further back is pure lunacy. If you are running a pass play you have accepted the fact that the clock may stop if you are not successful from the moment the play is called. Not throwing it away was pure idiocy on that play.

Do you think that if folk missed that kick people would be applauding Sanchez for getting sacked to use up some time? Pure bullocks.
    He was in fact told to extend the play not to extend the yardage like some nut..... That IMO was indefensable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're talking to a brick wall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    People keep talking about the Hill drop and how we would have been able to run out the clock. Thing is, the Hill drop came when we were down 3, not when we were tied. On other words, if we drained the clock, then tied the game, it still would have went into OT. Most likely theOnly way the Hill drop makes a difference is if we scored the TD.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to extreme haters, it wasn't.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    No, pretty much only you feel that way. If Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell could do it, why aren't they?
    When the hell have Orton or Campbell ever played on a team as stacked as the 2009 or 2010 Jets?

Both guys were surrounded with lackluster talent on offense in every year that they were starters. Yet they still are heralded as decent gamemanagers who protect the ball and won't lose a game for you.

People point to the two playoff runs and the 4th quarter comebacks as if that makes Sanchez some sort of special player. Obviously he's not.

The kid has consistently ranked in the bottom 5 in turnovers, completion %, and QB rating every year he's been in the league and this season is shaping up to be no different.

I agree with Beerfish in that Mark's upside is basically Alex Smith, and even that is assuming that he stops constantly turning the ball over.