Thread: Gotta love this tweet by Cimini to Fins' beat writer

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta love this tweet by Cimini to Fins' beat writer

This is in response to Omar Kelly's criticism of NY Media's decision to interview Maybin:

@OmarKelly If we only talked to star players, you would've had a hard time getting quotes over the past few years.
    6:37pm - 25 Oct 12

I thought it was a nice stab at one of the most unexciting rosters of the past decade, despite their fanbase's perpetual belief that "just one or two players away." What makes the Dolphins so annoying is their incredibly homeristic reporters and the fans' overall inferiority complex and complete denial of the team's utter irrelevancy in recent history. It's what makes beating them so enjoyable, and something I'm hoping to enjoy again this Sunday.
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 10-26-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think most fans acknowledge the fact that we haven't had alot of talent or many good teams the last decade. I also think that every fanbase (besides the Jets) try to be optimistic about the season and the teams chances to compete. But it always hinges on the QB and that has been a trainwreck since Marino retired. I think what you see this year is a fanbase that is just happy to be competeting this year when most thought we were in a complete rebuild. We probably wont make the playoffs but it's just exciting how well we are playing, we're 3-3, and we have a rookie Qb that looks promising.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only good tweet I have ever seen from him

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    I think most fans acknowledge the fact that we haven't had alot of talent or many good teams the last decade. I also think that every fanbase (besides the Jets) try to be optimistic about the season and the teams chances to compete. But it always hinges on the QB and that has been a trainwreck since Marino retired. I think what you see this year is a fanbase that is just happy to be competeting this year when most thought we were in a complete rebuild. We probably wont make the playoffs but it's just exciting how well we are playing, we're 3-3, and we have a rookie Qb that looks promising.
    I agree with everything you said and admire your rational, level-headed approach to the subject. I've lived in Miami briefly, still know many Dolphin fans and still follow some of the local radio shows and reporters, so I have a good grasp of the fanbase. It's amazing to me how every year, Dolfans are so optimistic in the offseason (nailed the draft, the new coach is a difference maker, yada yada yada) and start of the regular season, only to have their team's playoff hopes crumble by October -- which is in stark contrast to Jets fans who are traditionally pessimistic. There's also a very unhealthy preoccupation with surpassing the Jets, when you should really be focused on topping the Patriots. And then there's your media ... oh, don't get me started on the most whiney, unsatisfied, insecure bunch of sports journalists in this country.

Anyway, I wish more Dolphin fans were like you. And congrats on the Tannehill.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I agree with everything you said and admire your rational, level-headed approach to the subject. I've lived in Miami briefly, still know many Dolphin fans and still follow some of the local radio shows and reporters, so I have a good grasp of the fanbase. It's amazing to me how every year, Dolfans are so optimistic in the offseason (nailed the draft, the new coach is a difference maker, yada yada yada) and start of the regular season, only to have their team's playoff hopes crumble by October -- which is in stark contrast to Jets fans who are traditionally pessimistic. There's also a very unhealthy preoccupation with surpassing the Jets, when you should really be focused on topping the Patriots. And then there's your media ... oh, don't get me started on the most whiney, unsatisfied, insecure bunch of sports journalists in this country.

has Tannehill done something?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Its true that dolfans are probably way more optimistic than most fans. For as bad as we've been, it's true that every offseason brings new hope. Also, your right about the jets. And I'll admit, I have the same preoccupation with passing them. I'm not going to lie, I absolutely hate the jets. I really can't stand them. So as much as I want the dolphins to do well, I want the Jets to do poorly. So even though it is meaningless, alot of times I do set a goal of just be better than the Jets lol. If we were supposed to be good I wouldn't set that same goal, but with the way things have been the last decade, thats pretty much been my only hope as sad as that is. I live in Michigan so I don't hear any radio talk, just what I read online, but I know what your talking about in regards to the unsatisfied journalism.

Also with Tannehill, no he hasn't really done anything yet. But this is a guy that everybody said would need to sit a year, and he is playing pretty well right now. The main thing is, he keeps getting better. I've never seen a quarterback improve so much week to week. It doesn't mean anything yet, but it's just encouraging.

Also, my point about fan bases being opptimistic, except the jets, was meant as more of a joke and not a jab at the fanbase. But you guys are definately known as more of a pessimistic fanbase.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Not sh!t the bed with average to below average weapons. That's worthy of some praise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post

Also, my point about fan bases being opptimistic, except the jets, was meant as more of a joke and not a jab at the fanbase. But you guys are definately known as more of a pessimistic fanbase.
    Pessimistic? That's an understatement. Most of the Jets fans on this board are pretty pathetic excuses for fans. They go to games to boo their own players.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Pessimistic? That's an understatement. Most of the Jets fans on this board are pretty pathetic excuses for fans. They go to games to boo their own players.
    Let me guess. You are not a season tic holder, you sit on your lazy butt in your crappy little room and turn off the game before its over and then come on this site and spout silly statements like this. We boo when they suck over a period of time, we go because we love our team and want to win a Super bowl more then anything. I bet $100 you are a MET FAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing worse than the pessimists are the totally unrealistic optimists that think each year the team is going to go 13-3 and win the super bowl. The pessimists are closer to the truth than the wild out of this world optimists.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    He still has a lot to prove, but he's given the Dolphins legitimate hope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    Let me guess. You are not a season tic holder, you sit on your lazy butt in your crappy little room and turn off the game before its over and then come on this site and spout silly statements like this. We boo when they suck over a period of time, we go because we love our team and want to win a Super bowl more then anything. I bet $100 you are a MET FAN!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry to dissapoint:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The only thing worse than the pessimists are the totally unrealistic optimists that think each year the team is going to go 13-3 and win the super bowl. The pessimists are closer to the truth than the wild out of this world optimists.
    I am a fan of my team, i am not picking stocks. Why go into a season with a negative attitude. If I wanted real life on sundays i would go to work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty damn funny.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I try to go into the season with realistic expectations. The problem is, everybody sees things differently.

Bronxville, another thing I was going to say was, you mentioned how every year theres a new coach and he's a difference maker and yada yada yada, well I got tricked by Sparano in 08. I thought he was the guy, great motivator, he was going to be here for a long time. Well obviously that didn't work out. So I'm taking more of a wait and see approach with Philbin. I give him credit where it's due, but I'm not about to jump on his bandwagon just because we won a few games.

Same with Tannehill to an extent. As impressed as I am with him, I'm not about to say he's the franchise guy, and we're set for years. It's actually amazing how many fans are saying that kind of stuff. Beat writers too. You can't determine if a qb is going to be franchise material until he actually becomes that. Now again, I will say, I have been extremely impressed with him, partially because I had such low expectations. He does a great job making pre-snap reads, calling out protections, and he moves around in the pocket very well. But again, we wont know if he's the guy until he actually becomes it, and that wont be for at least a couple years. Hopefully he just keeps improving at the rate he is because I really haven't seen any player let alone a QB have such noticable improvement over each game. Really good to see. And the key word is exciting or optimistic, not he's great or franchise material.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a fan of my team, i am not picking stocks. Why go into a season with a negative attitude. If I wanted real life on sundays i would go to work.
    I am a fan of the team, the #1 goal in a high level sport is to win. Not just win a playoff game but to win a championship. People stick around as fans through the crap years so they can have their team win it all.

People disagree about the best way of going about winning a championship. Some think it's best to be happy and supportive of a team no matter what. Others feel it's better to look at the team with a critical eye, identify the poorer parts and get those better so the team can win.

There is a huge difference between going into a year with a positive or negative attitude and going into a season ignoring team faults or looking at team faults that are not there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Omar Kelly is the idiot who still believes The replacement refs got it right in the Seattle vs Green bay game. He's just a poor man's version of Jason Whitlock.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He still has a lot to prove, but he's given the Dolphins legitimate hope.
    agreed