Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RB...

RB...

Greene -disappointing so far last two starting to show the mileage
    Powell -Cfl quality or arena
    McKnight -still a potential change back, fumbles and poor blocking
    Hilliard -so far a keeper, but can he be a workhorse
    Tebow - should be given a trial as full time rb

Jets issue is they need at least two backs -both able to block and catch passes.Also need to run more screens and run outside the tackles.Jets running game is predictable and defensible.

As to backs in trade or fa -panther's both prone to mileage injuries.As an answer to our needs and available check out Kc 's depth at rb.Competetion for any talent is ardent, explains why teams are "finding " college guys that seem to click immediately, however most of the good ones can't block as that's what they didn't do in college.
    Look for rb 's that can go on special teams, not just returners.
    The above is what coaches and scouts are paid for. Based on that criteria house cleaning is in order for lack of results for three years.

Veteran
    Tebow + 4th rd pick for MJD.

Consistency is the issue. By now he shoould be showing progress in this area, and he's not. Regardless of the receivers, he's not making good throws on a regular basis. Also Mark is the worst at faking the run or selling any kind of fake, he should have gotten help from Chad. To run screens you need a qb that can execute the play with some consistency, he just doesn't sell the fake at all. Mark is not able to make those throws. If it's not a seam or quick slant, he can't make the throws. Look at the Hill throw for an int. Now he made a few nice sideline throws against NE, but he doesn't make those week in and out.

The big issue is this... Rex said this is his guy. He made move to get him and he will never bench him, unless his job is on the line. Rex, Mark and Tanny will be here for at least another 2 seasons after this one. So buckle up and enjoy this bulls!t ride. At least it makesthe off season interesting.

All League
    I like the way the RB's have been looking. I think the run game is getting better while getting used to Sparano's blocking schemes.

Btw, Powell is a good RB.

and McKnight has shown me toughness that I didn't think he had. Very promising.

Are the Jets the worst screen passing team in the league? Even when this team was winning, they were terrible at this.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I don't think the RBs are anywhere near the biggest problem for this team. If these group is healthy, they are perfectly capable of doing what the team needs them to do.

This team will go as far as the a) line and b) QB will take it. The Defense seems to have settled in to being good to very good. Not elite, but better than it was the first few weeks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Are the Jets the worst screen passing team in the league? Even when this team was winning, they were terrible at this.
    Very true. That's one thing Chad was really good at. They have to get that straightened out.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Its seems that one aspect of the screen (blocking, receiving, passing) always goes wrong when the Jets try it. Against the Texans, the Jets set a screen up perfectly with a slew of blockers going downfield and Sanchez can't get the ball around Watt.

This past weekend, Sanchez gets the ball to the RB and he's about to get absolutely pounded as there are no blockers anywhere. And other times we've seen Greene just flat out drop it.

It can't be that hard if you practice it. If you are a competent RB, you should be able to run a successful screen. Same with the QB and OL. There's really no excuse.

All League
    tebow and a 2nd for doug martin

Hall Of Fame
    The best way to get a top running back is to draft one. Paying for RBs in free agency is a bad investment IMO. If you want to get a cheaper #2 or 3 back in FA thats fine, but if you want a true #1 feature back, you draft them.

For a team that has come out and said it is all about running the ball, they certainly have not placed an importance on getting a true feature back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Jax is the only team desperate enough to put fannys in the seats to be interested in obtaining a home towner who is arguably the worst quarterback in NFL history

Teblow and a sixth for their second. Do it tomorrow Tanny... .

The more Teblow starts for them.....the better our second rounder in April gets

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Its seems that one aspect of the screen (blocking, receiving, passing) always goes wrong when the Jets try it. Against the Texans, the Jets set a screen up perfectly with a slew of blockers going downfield and Sanchez can't get the ball around Watt.

This past weekend, Sanchez gets the ball to the RB and he's about to get absolutely pounded as there are no blockers anywhere. And other times we've seen Greene just flat out drop it.

It can't be that hard if you practice it. If you are a competent RB, you should be able to run a successful screen. Same with the QB and OL. There's really no excuse.
    Greene is abysmal as a receiver, bad hands and runs to contact. Greene is about as one dimensional as it gets for a RB.

I have said this before but, it takes a lot of practice to execute a good screen game. The timing has to be perfect, and you have to have the right RB to use them. Greene is not the guy.

Sanchez has absolutely zero feel for short area passes, most notably screens. He has struggled with it since his rookie year. He also has some issues with timing and accuracy which is why we rarely run bubble sreens to WRs either.

As for the RBs, I think they are getting better and better, and I for one, am excited to see the group post bye, with a healthy mcknight and powell and Lex leading the way.

Its appalling that connor gets no blame for the fact that our running game has sucked ever since he took over for Trich, and now magically it has improved with him out. Yes there are a lot of factors, but that really cant be stressed enough.

Its a long season, and I really think we are going to have 2 fresh, 2nd half (of the season) backs in powell and mcknight.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The best way to get a top running back is to draft one.
    I don't see any prospect right now. Do you?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Sanchez has absolutely zero feel for short area passes, most notably screens. He has struggled with it since his rookie year. He also has some issues with timing and accuracy which is why we rarely run bubble sreens to WRs either.

As for the RBs, I think they are getting better and better, and I for one, am excited to see the group post bye, with a healthy mcknight and powell and Lex leading the way.

Its appalling that connor gets no blame for the fact that our running game has sucked ever since he took over for Trich, and now magically it has improved with him out. Yes there are a lot of factors, but that really cant be stressed enough.

Its a long season, and I really think we are going to have 2 fresh, 2nd half (of the season) backs in powell and mcknight.
    I hope Powell and McKnight can get and stay healthy for the second half of the season. I think the Jets really need to evaluate what they have there. With Greene almost certainly gone next year, the Jets need to know if they have a viable #1 back, or need to address the position with a high draft choice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why would Greene be going anywhere??

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Why would Greene be going anywhere??

Because he is a free agent, who struggles as an every down back in the NFL and can easily be replaced by a rookie or younger player who makes less money then it would take to resign him.

RB is the most easily replaced position in the league....and greene has a skill set that is increasingly useless in todays game. I cant see how he is on the roster in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    I don't see any prospect right now. Do you?
    There isnt really a top RB prospect this year, but a bunch of quality guys that will go in rounds 2-4. Lattimore from South Carolina will probably go late in the first and maybe Randle from Oklahoma State sneaks into the first. Then you have guys like Ellington from Clemson, Bernard from North Carolina, Taylor from Stanford, Bell from Mich. State, Lacey from Alabama and Gillislee from Florida, all guys who depending on work outs and other pre draft scrutiny can be had in rounds 2-4.

Marcus Lattimore
    Joseph Randle
    Eddy Lacy
    Andre Ellington
    Giovanni Bernard

Draft one of these guys

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't think the RBs are anywhere near the biggest problem for this team. If these group is healthy, they are perfectly capable of doing what the team needs them to do.

This team will go as far as the a) line and b) QB will take it. The Defense seems to have settled in to being good to very good. Not elite, but better than it was the first few weeks.
    Good post, agreed.