Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't McKnight fix his ankle quickly and become our starting running back?

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I think he can be a dynamic back in this league actually. The kind that can break a game open with a long run, once he gets daylight he's gone. Hey it took Bush a while too and I think McKnight can be in that league too, all he needs is carries.
    I agree, McKnight seems ready to break out, but he's had to develop and work himself up to this position, and he's on the brink, the injury sucked, came at the wrong time, but really, that injury inspired him as a football player, it's like when he took the mindset to put himself on the field last week, he immediately earned a ton of respect from his teammates and fans, I think that affected him in such a good way, it could mold him to take that next step, the next time he gets that opportunity.

Up until this point, McKnight always had great ability, but never really seemed like he was out there on the field with a purpose, just going throug the motions with all of his talent.

Last week, for the first time in his career, he went out on the field with a purpose, I think McKnight could be finally getting it as an NFL player, he's even more motivated to be out there this week.

If he improves his pass protection, Powell may not have a spot to come back to, and that's ok, I like our RB depth, it's talented and young, and still developing.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wow. This is an all-time low.

The kid plays last week and shows more toughness than any player on the team has showed in years and we have people questioning why his ankle won't heal.

He has a high-ankle sprain. It is mild but it is still very painful. Most people hear wouldn't be able to walk let alone play in an NFL game.

Can never question his toughness or heart. Kid wants to play and wants to prove himself. He has been getting d1cked around by our incompetent offensive staff and HC for the past two years.
    Well said!

IMO for all the complaining on this board, there wasnt nearly enough made of mcknight fighting through a bad injury to really contribute last sunday. Good Kick returns, filled in when greene went down, and really toughed it out.

Im certain he earned respect in the locker room (another example of this group starting to come together as a team) and he deserves it from the fan base that has ripped him for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Greene is one the least durable backs in the NFL.

Preseason rookie year cost him like 4-6 weeks.

AFC Championship Game Vs. Colts, and he was hardly injured.

Multiple games he gets hit hard and sits out for a good chunk of time.

Also, McKnight hasn't had a fumbling problem sine his rookie year.
    You have NO clue what you are talking about with greene's durablility.

Here are his games played his first 3 years: 14, 15, 16

Yea he got hurt in a big spot vs the colts and he "gets up slowly" but he doesnt miss games, and he plays physical football.

Im not a greene fan, he doesnt have the skill set that you need in todays NFL, but questioning his durability is incorrect

The kid plays last week and shows more toughness than any player on the team has showed in years and we have people questioning why his ankle won't heal.

He has a high-ankle sprain. It is mild but it is still very painful. Most people hear wouldn't be able to walk let alone play in an NFL game.

Can never question his toughness or heart. Kid wants to play and wants to prove himself. He has been getting d1cked around by our incompetent offensive staff and HC for the past two years.

Like I said in my last post, up until now, McKnight has not earned the opportunity. Claiming that "getting dicked" is just wrong. These are the kind of comments by fan that drive me nuts.

Did you or anybody else watch pre-season? McKnight's liability is blitz pick-up and pass protection, that has been a major issue, maybe he's improved, but he's only showed flashes of his ability, nothing consistent.

It's hilarious to me that we have some fans making posts like this about players like McKnight when they've done nothing to earn a bigger role because of inconsistency and areas of liability, but then complain about Sanchez.

McKnight will never be a feature back, but he can certainly be a good change of pace guy. I was always somewhat indifferent about the guy (and definitely not a hater), but his attitude and toughness from the past two weeks has made me a big Joe fan.

What was most telling IMO was how Westhoff reacted and commented on the guy when a reporter told Westy that Joe would play through his injury. That speaks volumes. Westhoff has a pretty good idea of who the true football players are and he basically endorsed Joe.

All Pro
    I still think it's crazy that he only gets a couple of snaps a game because he can't block.

I'm pretty sure it's a waste of his ability to have him blocking anyway. That's what Lex Hilliard is in there for. Let him pass block while McKnight goes on out for a pass.

But yeah, he should just pour some Tussin' on the it. and get back out there.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I still think it's crazy that he only gets a couple of snaps a game because he can't block.

I'm pretty sure it's a waste of his ability to have him blocking anyway. That's what Lex Hilliard is in there for. Let him pass block while McKnight goes on out for a pass.

But yeah, he should just pour some Tussin' on the it. and get back out there.
    At there very least he has the ability to take it to the house out of the backfield. None of the other backs do, as long as the endzone is more than 15 yards out (and I havent seen a 15 yard TD run for sometime now)

It seems that just about when it seems McKnight is about to emerge as a running threat, either he throws up in practice, or the season ends after a great performance, the team decides to leave him exclusively at KR, or he gets an ankle sprain. I think McKnight is our best back and I think he can be a game breaker with his speed. All he needs is a healthy amount of carries and he will start to break off big chunks of yards. The kid knows how to run to day light, he just hasn't gotten the opportunity.
    dont start

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    agreed. How are you doing? I have not read much from you like in the recent past. I miss your informative posts! any way I hope all is well!
    KJ,
    Thanks. I'm well. Been busy. McGinley and Sect101 are doing a great job with the daily tweets.

How you doing? I hope all is well!

Our #2 RB always seems to be cursed IMO. I think back. Jorden, Washington, Houston, Greene and Bernie Parmalee all struggled with injury off the bench.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No you just don't understand the irony of my post. The point is that it's been frustrating when it comes to McKnight because the talent is there and lately he's showing a lot of heart too, but it's always something that holds him back.
    How exactly did puking on the his first day of camp hold him back?

What's the obsession with that anyway, why do some cling to throwing up as if it has any relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeves View Post
    exactly. That response is one of the dumbest posts and he has no idea why, which seals it IMO.
    Yeah..excuse me for not writing thread....Other than that...I'll just end with, no comment

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    How exactly did puking on the his first day of camp hold him back?

What's the obsession with that anyway, why do some cling to throwing up as if it has any relevance.
    I hear that.
    I guess to many, they saw it as a sign of poor conditioning and weakness. To me, I figured that he may have partied a little too hard the night before.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    McKnight will never be a feature back, but he can certainly be a good change of pace guy. I was always somewhat indifferent about the guy (and definitely not a hater), but his attitude and toughness from the past two weeks has made me a big Joe fan.

What was most telling IMO was how Westhoff reacted and commented on the guy when a reporter told Westy that Joe would play through his injury. That speaks volumes. Westhoff has a pretty good idea of who the true football players are and he basically endorsed Joe.
    and we had a guy here a few years ago who spouted off that he met Westhoff somewhere and he said he did not like joe McKnight. That fueled much of the hate mail about Joe on this board! I wish I could remember who that poster is. Personally I get sick of all the constant work ethic, puking and fumbling posts we read reagarding Joe. The guy was excellent on KRs last year. Where the heck was there a fumbling problem? Most players do have a fumble or two. The other night Adrian Petersen had one that led to a score. Would all the JI pundits turndown a shot at getting him for the Jets because has a fumbling problem?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 10-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Veteran

Totally agree; this team looks totally different with him in the game. I also agree with the Reggie Bush comparison someone made earlier; sometime it take some guys a little longer. Mcknight has gotten bigger and stronger without losing any of his explosiveness, and it shows. The fact that he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear is a good thing for his career going forward. If he can heal up during the bye week (big if as that can be a nagging injury), he definitely demands a bigger role in the offense.

He looks like the kind of late bloomer the Jets are famous for letting get away and then watch blossom elsewhere. Hopefully not this time!!

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Less durable and a fumbler, Greene would have to suck it up bad for that to happen.
    Why do people here always turn it into an either\or situation. Put both out there (and I'd throw Powell into the mix as well) and whoever is getting the job done gets the most carries. It will all sort itself out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You have NO clue what you are talking about with greene's durablility.

Here are his games played his first 3 years: 14, 15, 16

Yea he got hurt in a big spot vs the colts and he "gets up slowly" but he doesnt miss games, and he plays physical football.

Im not a greene fan, he doesnt have the skill set that you need in todays NFL, but questioning his durability is incorrect

You have NO CLUE when it comes to Greene's durability. Don't go buy games played, actually watch the game, and see how many games Greene had to come out of due to his injuries during the game.

Next time watch the game, not the stat line.