Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Austin Howard's love post.

  1. #1
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Austin Howard's love post.

    So basically after week one the RT situation has been FANTASTIC.

    I guess if you don't hear about him , hes doing something Hunter couldn't

    the guy is playing great ball. Props to him!!!!

    GO J-E-T-S

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howard hasn't been perfect. And I don't care if Hunter becomes an All-Pro. It was a change that had to be made.

    We went from having the worst RT play in the league to having average RT play. That kind of improvement is huge. And we did it on the cheap.

  3. #3
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree he hasn't been outstanding but in comparison to Hunter he has been fantastic.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Howard hasn't been perfect. And I don't care if Hunter becomes an All-Pro. It was a change that had to be made.

    We went from having the worst RT play in the league to having average RT play. That kind of improvement is huge. And we did it on the cheap.
    All that needed to be said.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    i agree he hasn't been outstanding but in comparison to Hunter he has been fantastic.
    And he is improving. He is a mammoth and has some decent athleticism. He can become a very good player for us.

  6. #6
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howard has very good hands. he does very well in that department.
    his footwork is improving buit i think that is his biggest flaw.

    but all in all a heck of a find

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Considering how he only got the starting job midway through camp and how he has never seen significant NFL action before this year, you gotta be incredibly satisfied with how he's doing. He is still young and he should develop with more time.

    You gotta have solid role players and Howard is just that... props to him...

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread. If he'd been a disaster it could have ruined the season.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another UDFA...which is basic simple evidence that ALL picks matter. Why Tanny and Rex appear to do so little homework with late picks is mind boggling.

    Interesting to note...he was a tightend in college.

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Good thread. If he'd been a disaster it could have ruined the season.
    Exactly. Which is why Tanny and Rex still deserve heat for the RT situation. We have gotten lucky with Howard. Starting the league year with Hunter was a huge blunder.

    Better lucky than good I suppose.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

    Better lucky than good I suppose.
    Really????? That sounds like draft strategy of SB teams.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Exactly. Which is why Tanny and Rex still deserve heat for the RT situation. We have gotten lucky with Howard. Starting the league year with Hunter was a huge blunder.

    Better lucky than good I suppose.
    Well, I don't know... I think they knew that they had a talented player in Howard as he was with the Ravens and we know about Ryan's ties there. They also got a good look at him last year already. We already got a lot of money in the other OL spots and well, counting on Howard was the right decision...

    In hindsight you can say they were lucky but I think it is unfair to call good moves luck and bad ones mistakes. It's not like they picked Howard up off the street midway through camp.

  13. #13
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens NY
    Posts
    203
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only bad part about howard is his run blocking. it should improve over time, but as of now he has been a liabilty in the run game. but that could absolutely change

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    Only bad part about howard is his run blocking. it should improve over time, but as of now he has been a liabilty in the run game. but that could absolutely change
    The run game is getting better game by game... we really moved the ball on the ground against a very good run defense in New England... Miami is another tough test for the run game...

    I agree though, considering his mammoth size he should strive to be a dominant run blocker...

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,808
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Another UDFA...which is basic simple evidence that ALL picks matter. Why Tanny and Rex appear to do so little homework with late picks is mind boggling.

    Interesting to note...he was a tightend in college.
    C'mon. We've been thru this a dozen times. It's not Rex's job to do "homework" on late round picks. That is the scouting/personnel depts jobs. The position coaches are also involved in the evaluation process pre draft.

    And they did draft a OL in the 6th-Griffin. He didn't work out but Howard has, so far.

    I'd guess if you'd ask scouts the difference between a 6th/7th rounder and UDFA isn't that much.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Well, I don't know... I think they knew that they had a talented player in Howard as he was with the Ravens and we know about Ryan's ties there. They also got a good look at him last year already. We already got a lot of money in the other OL spots and well, counting on Howard was the right decision...

    In hindsight you can say they were lucky but I think it is unfair to call good moves luck and bad ones mistakes. It's not like they picked Howard up off the street midway through camp.
    Howard was on the Ravens in 2011 during OTAs. I am not sure how much insight Rex had into his talent. I am sure he made a call to some of his buddies over there but other than that I am not sure how much they knew about him.

    They did get lucky in the sense that as of mid-August Wayne Hunter was our starting RT. He should have been replaced long before then.

    IMO an example of a good move was Laron Landry. We had a problem and addressed it and the player we brought in is playing well. We had no idea what we had in Howard, and the proof is that if they knew he was going to play like this they would have gotten rid of Hunter earlier.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Howard was on the Ravens in 2011 during OTAs. I am not sure how much insight Rex had into his talent. I am sure he made a call to some of his buddies over there but other than that I am not sure how much they knew about him.

    They did get lucky in the sense that as of mid-August Wayne Hunter was our starting RT. He should have been replaced long before then.

    IMO an example of a good move was Laron Landry. We had a problem and addressed it and the player we brought in is playing well. We had no idea what we had in Howard, and the proof is that if they knew he was going to play like this they would have gotten rid of Hunter earlier.
    Good point... maybe they just wanted to give Hunter another chance as he played fairly well when he filled in for Woody a couple of years ago.

    The point you are making hopefully also makes the FO to address the OLB position soon. It has been ignored way too long. I'm typing that while I'm watching Jarvis Jones wreak havoc for Georgia.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Well, I don't know... I think they knew that they had a talented player in Howard as he was with the Ravens and we know about Ryan's ties there. They also got a good look at him last year already. We already got a lot of money in the other OL spots and well, counting on Howard was the right decision...

    In hindsight you can say they were lucky but I think it is unfair to call good moves luck and bad ones mistakes. It's not like they picked Howard up off the street midway through camp.
    Exactly...

    Killing the Jets FO and suggesting they were lucky with Howard? LOL, did they not have him on the roster last year after plucking him off of the Ravens PS? Obviously, they saw something.

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    C'mon. We've been thru this a dozen times. It's not Rex's job to do "homework" on late round picks. That is the scouting/personnel depts jobs. The position coaches are also involved in the evaluation process pre draft.

    And they did draft a OL in the 6th-Griffin. He didn't work out but Howard has, so far.

    I'd guess if you'd ask scouts the difference between a 6th/7th rounder and UDFA isn't that much.
    There is a bell curve in all things... Drafting is no different. The JETS are not in the sweet spot of drafting or developing players. Spin it any way you want but the records speaks for itself in the manner in which our picks are used.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Good point... maybe they just wanted to give Hunter another chance as he played fairly well when he filled in for Woody a couple of years ago.

    The point you are making hopefully also makes the FO to address the OLB position soon. It has been ignored way too long. I'm typing that while I'm watching Jarvis Jones wreak havoc for Georgia.
    I happen to like your fellow countryman, Björn Werner. Although I am not sure is we would go DL again after taking Wilk and Coples. But if we move to the 4-3 then . . .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us