Thread: DENNIS BYRD.... a JI Salute.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

DENNIS BYRD.... a JI Salute.

How about a salute to Dennis Byrd. I remember that day like yesterday. Watching the game in LI home, just stunning how quickly it happens.

His story is remarkable.

Who remembers that November game?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember it well. They even made a movie about Dennis Byrd. The week after his injury, the Jets were huge double digit underdogs against the Bills and with inspiration from Byrd, they won the game with Browning Nagle at Quarterback.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the game, i was actually on the other side of the border up north (Toronto) at the time of the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was the only time I can remember where I stopped watching a Jet game and listened on the radio, was listening in the shower when it happened, I still feel guilty about that

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to believe it was 20 years ago. Seems like yesterday. Amazing story. Good luck to you and your family Dennis.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember that game well. I came home for the weekend from college for my cousin's wedding. That hit was right in front of us. Cant believe that was 20 years ago, damn I m getting old.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember it well. I remember the anticlimactic feeling everyone had once he left the field. As with other traumatic neck injuries that occur during games, I'm sure we all question why the game should continue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember this as well ... Was studying for my college mid terms .... Was first time seeing a career ending injury live as I recall.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too young to remember, but what an inspiring story.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at that game and remember the silence in the stadium being deafening after he got hurt. Aside from the human tragedy it was a terrible loss for the Jets as Dennis was just finding his stride and was becoming one of the most exciting young defensive players in the league let alone on the Jets.

His recovery story is amazing, thank God the Jets doctors and trainers were so on top of medical advancements at the time which no doubt helped save his life and his future.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like lots of us, I was watching the game. I really thought he might not make it. His recovery is nothing short of miraculous and inspiring. Wish I had 1/100th of Byrd's courage, strength, and perseverance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I was at that game and remember the silence in the stadium being deafening after he got hurt. Aside from the human tragedy it was a terrible loss for the Jets as Dennis was just finding his stride and was becoming one of the most exciting young defensive players in the league let alone on the Jets.

His recovery story is amazing, thank God the Jets doctors and trainers were so on top of medical advancements at the time which no doubt helped save his life and his future.
    You could hear a pin drop. Definitely a game I will never forget.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathis81 View Post
    You could hear a pin drop. Definitely a game I will never forget.
    The Dennis Byrd ceremony and speech was the only highlight of a miserable afternoon and removed most of the stain from the prior appearance and speech of sleezy Gastineau the scab

Great moment for a great Jet

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everytime we honor a former Jet this season... 49ers... Dolphins... maybe we shouldn't do this on a gameday.