Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Everyone upset at Sanchez for "not seeing" Hill in the endzone at Seattle should read this thread. I'm saying Sanchez saw him and it was a conscious decision not to throw to him.
    I remember young nfl wrs dropping the ball while I was growing up and the qb would go right back to them. They generally caught the ball the second time and the announcers would talk about how the qb continuing to show faith in a guy after a drop helped the wr build confidence and made him a better wr. It also helped the wr not dwell on a mistake.

It's funny how people want to bash Hill even though we were told coming out of the draft he was raw and needed to develop. Meanwhile mark has had 4 years and still makes the same mistakes he did as a rookie consistently.

All League
    Jerry rice dropped a lot of passes his rookie year. So Hill = Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Yeah, you're right. We're being too hard on the kid. Expecting an NFL receiver to be able to catch balls that hit him in the hands is setting the bar WAAAAY to high.
    Funny thing is that he is on our "hands team" for onsides kicks.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by cafterdeath View Post
    Really...
    Catching the ball as a kid is comparable to catching the ball in the NFL. Okay.

He has 4 drops on the stat sheet, I agree that looks low if your watching the games. But jesus it's not like our offense has been some kind of passing Juggernaut. Yea ok he's dropped some balls and some crucial ones *read NE game, but give the kid a break, it's his rookie season on a garbage offense.
    Nike is exactly right -- and you are wrong, IMO.

You become a natural pass catcher by catching football's as a kid. By the time you reach the NFL -- or even college, really -- it's pretty much too late to ever become a natural pass catcher. Work on the jugs machine and in practice can take Hill from terrible to bearable (assuming, of course, that he's got the natural ability and he doesn't let it become mental)...but from what I've seen, i don't believe the guy will never have "good hands" or be a truly reliable receiver. Hopefully he can make up for that with other parts of his game...it's been done (see T.O., for example).

Sorry but to reiterate my point :

If you can't catch the football, then it doesn't matter if you've got the Size and Speed of a Megatron.....You're just of no value/use to any Football team.

I'm beginning to wonder if Mark didn't just blow the kid off the week before when he was wide open......

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with the posters who say that it is too early to tell but what we have seen so far is very troubling and pretty soon it will not be too early to tell.

Catching the ball and particularly the ability to catch the ball in a big spot is not a 'learned skill' at the NFL level IMO.

Edited to add:

Dropping the simple passes that he has dropped looks like common or garden variety choke jobs from where I sit.
    Last edited by EM31; 11-19-2012 at 06:30 AM.

I remember watching the college skills competition the year that Hakeem Nicks came out. His performance on the jugs machine was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. There was another guy who had good hands, but he dropped one or two and bobbled a few more. Nicks had hands like glue. It was just stick, stick, stick, stick, one after another, everything caught with the hands, away from the body.

Being able to catch like that is a natural ability. Hill is a body catcher. That's OK. He'll never be able to catch the ball the way that Nicks does, but he can become a reliable target, with some work. For now, his hands are a major problem. That first drop was awful. Balls that hit you square in the mitts can't end up on the turf.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I remember watching the college skills competition the year that Hakeem Nicks came out. His performance on the jugs machine was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. There was another guy who had good hands, but he dropped one or two and bobbled a few more. Nicks had hands like glue. It was just stick, stick, stick, stick, one after another, everything caught with the hands, away from the body.

Being able to catch like that is a natural ability. Hill is a body catcher. That's OK. He'll never be able to catch the ball the way that Nicks does, but he can become a reliable target, with some work. For now, his hands are a major problem. That first drop was awful. Balls that hit you square in the mitts can't end up on the turf.
    If Hill is a body catcher than being 6'4" with long arms is a complete waste. That is not what the Jets hoped they were getting. We all knew he would drop a few balls but he has stone hands.

I would like to see the Jets design a play to get him an easy catch early in the game. Get his confidence going.

It Sanchez's fault. He is supposed to put the ball between the 8 and the 4 instead he just puts the ball on the 4. Thats why hes dropping alot of passes....If I were Hill I would be pissed Mark is making me look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If Hill is a body catcher than being 6'4" with long arms is a complete waste. That is not what the Jets hoped they were getting. We all knew he would drop a few balls but he has stone hands.

I would like to see the Jets design a play to get him an easy catch early in the game. Get his confidence going.
    do what every other team with a fast WR does. Short crossing pattern and let him try out outrun the D to the sideline. The play is in every team's (except maybe the Jets) playbook.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    do what every other team with a fast WR does. Short crossing pattern and let him try out outrun the D to the sideline. The play is in every team's (except maybe the Jets) playbook.
    idk if you watched the game, but thats exactly the route Hill ran when he dropped that ball.

Hall Of Fame
    It is in Hill's head at this point even if it did not start out there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Some of you people are so friggin ridiculous its embarassing. Get real. Hill is a project. He is a rookie that was forced into a starters role due to lack of depth. He does not even have a full season under his belt and people are already calling for his head. Unbelievable.

im glad sanchez is starting to finally adjust and look for schillens hes losing faith in hill. this guy cannot catch on a consistent level.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    im glad sanchez is starting to finally adjust and look for schillens hes losing faith in hill. this guy cannot catch on a consistent level.
    And you came to this conclusion based on the whole whopping 8 games Hill has played in. Amazing. You should be the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    And you came to this conclusion based on the whole whopping 8 games Hill has played in. Amazing. You should be the GM.
    well for 8 games hes been targeting hill when hes played. hill has dropped quite a few passes. cant you agree? gm? nah no thanks im happy at my current job how about you?

another outstanding Tanny draft pick

Some of you people are so friggin ridiculous its embarassing. Get real. Hill is a project. He is a rookie that was forced into a starters role due to lack of depth. He does not even have a full season under his belt and people are already calling for his head. Unbelievable.
    Who uses a high round draft pick on a project WR (who only caught 49 passes in 3 years of college) that isn't expected to start or at least contribute heavily from day 1? Only the Jets.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 11-19-2012 at 08:59 AM.

All League
    The fact that Stephen Hill didn't track the ball down on the one pinpoint throw to the outside shoulder was horrendous. You can't place that ball any better (doesn't technically get tallied as a drop...but just awful)

Veteran
    This. Edwards was known for dropping alot of balls in Cleveland. He came to the Jets, worked on it and became a reliable target and a fan favorite for most of us.