Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Fireplace - Can It Work In A Blackout?

Gas Fireplace - Can It Work In A Blackout?

We have a gas fireplace. If we have a blackout for a few days, need to know if it can safely create heat for the family.

If anyone has any expertise in this area, would appreciate it.

SAR I

Maybe

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Maybe
    /end thread

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    We have a gas fireplace. If we have a blackout for a few days, need to know if it can safely create heat for the family.

SAR I
    Does it have an electric starter? Most of them operate from a switch. I am not sure how to start it manually or if that can even be done. It might have a valve of some sort (like a solenoid) you can turn to let the gas through but then you would need a lighter to start the fire.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Does it have an electric starter? Most of them operate from a switch. I am not sure how to start it manually or if that can even be done. It might have a valve of some sort you can turn to let the gas through but then you would need a lighter to start the fire.
    I have a remote control that lights the pilot, the receiver for that is battery operated.

SAR I

I have a remote control that lights the pilot, the receiver for that is battery operated.

SAR I
    You're fooked

It wont work in a blackout, it has an electric ignitor

And probably electric convection and vent fans

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    Yes but what operates the valve and starter. I am pretty sure that is electric.

It could very well be able to be operated manually. If you have the owners manual it might tell you. Or use google.

My guess is if you open the valve manually while lighting the gas with a lighter (long stick match attached to a rod would be better) it will light up.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-28-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Veteran
    Of course you can. Any electric to it just runs the fan or the ignitor. Keep a slight draft in a room adjacent to the heater and it will help circulate the heat. Trust me.... Contractor

Also, anybody lose everything in the storm, come on down to Arkansas. We always have storm refugees here. Any Jet fan Is welcome. Giants fans need not apply. I've got 80 acres to line with tents and start a whiskey business called Whiskey Beniss. See... I'm talking em employment now.

Kidding ... but really. I^d put you up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    And probably electric convection and vent fans
    Good point. But I think the fans are used to push the air into the room rather than to vent it. It likely is vented like a regular chimney.

Good point. But I think the fans are used to push the air into the room rather than to vent it. It likely is vented like a regular chimney.
    Yes, chimney takes something out, fans usually push the air into the room.

SAR I

Veteran
    Yes but what operates the valve and starter. I am pretty sure that is electric.

It could very well be able to be operated manually. If you have the owners manual it might tell you. Or use google.
    Some of those even are DC. I've seen a lot of wall heaters use batteries. Fireplace inserts are usually 110v.

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    If you were a real rich guy you'd have an automatic generator system that
    would supply your entire house with plenty of electricity. Instead you went for the BMW rather than a package of a Chevy Malibu and the generator system.

At least your kids can look at the BMW in the driveway while they are freezing uncontrollably in your house.

Living above your means AND a worthless PSL for a bottom five team. You are screwed.

Hall Of Fame
    If all else fails you can use your sh!t as fuel for heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    If you were a real rich guy you'd have an automatic generator system that
    would supply your entire house with plenty of electricity. Instead you went for the BMW rather than a package of a Chevy Malibu and the generator system.

At least your kids can look at the BMW in the driveway while they are freezing uncontrollably in your house.

Living above your means AND a worthless PSL for a bottom five team. You are screwed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Ha... we have a real fireplace, *****es. I went to 7-11 last night for Duraflame logs and cleaned them out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes.

The secret is this: ensure your pilot light is blown out before the power goes out, but leave the gas running. Don't worry about it if you smell anything. That is normal. You'll need to then relight the pilot after the lights go off. I suggest using one of those long bic lighters.

Ignore all other advice from this thread. Especially any advice that refutes this post.

And kids, do not try this at home unless you own a BMW.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Ha... we have a real fireplace, *****es. I went to 7-11 last night for Duraflame logs and cleaned them out.
    ======================================

Typically a real fire place will draw more heat out of your home then it will radiate back in.

The fireplace draws the room air out via convection up the chimney. So you need a raging fire to actually heat.

Might want to supplement the duraflame logs with some Presto Logs or real wood.

As for Sar I if your gas fire place has a pilot light constantly burning, then you should be good to go during a power outage, of course minus the fan that helps to push the heat out into the room

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ======================================

Typically a real fire place will draw more heat out of your home then it will radiate back in.

The fireplace draws the room air out via convection up the chimney. So you need a raging fire to actually heat.

Might want to supplement the duraflame logs with some Presto Logs or real wood.

As for Sar I if your gas fire place has a pilot light constantly burning, then you should be good to go during a power outage, of course minus the fan that helps to push the heat out into the room
    Son of a *****!

Maybe I'll get some firewood tomorrow when trees fall down.