Thread: Punt?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Punt?

Fourth and 5, down 27-3 midway through the third quarter, on the Dolphins 45...and we punt.

Fourth and 5, down 27-3 at the end of the third quarter, on our own 40...and we punt again.

That's not playing to win. I cannot understand those decisions. The only explanation I can come up with is that Rex is more concerned about not having the score run up on his D anymore than it already was, rather than with pursuing whatever extremely thin hope there still may have been of winning the game (and yes, there was still a slim hope at those points in the game -- remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands).

It's probably the most disgusted I've ever felt about Rex Ryan.

EDIT: I don't have the stomach to watch the postgame presser...but does anyone know if Rex was called out on this by any of the reporters?
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 10-28-2012 at 07:23 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    Fourth and 5, down 27-3 midway through the third quarter, on the Dolphins 45...and we punt.

Fourth and 5, down 27-3 at the end of the third quarter, on our own 40...and we punt again.

That's not playing to win. I cannot understand those decisions. The only explanation I can come up with is that Rex is more concerned about not having the score run up on his D anymore than it already was, rather than with pursuing whatever extremely thin hope there still may have been of winning the game (and yes, there was still a slim hope at those points in the game -- remember the Miracle at the Meadowlands).

Dont you worry, Woody's PR department is on it. All will be forgotten by the time Rex calls out Marshawn Lynch and states how his defense will put hot sauce on him..........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

In all seriousness, you cant take any of this seriously. Rex is a bad HC but its much deeper. Woody is the problem and he will be around for a long time. He's all about the splash and loves the circus that Rex brings.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Felt the same way. The funniest part is that they went for it on 4th down deep in our territory earlier in the same drive.

So you are telling me that less then 2 minutes ago, you felt that this drive was so important we must go for it on 4th down to try to score but now, with less time on the clock and closer to the endzone, we must punt the ball? Obviously 4th and 1 is different than 4th and 5 but it doesn't matter. You either have to score quickly or you don't.

This sort of logic is what shows the coaching staff have no idea about what they are doing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    In all seriousness, you cant take any of this seriously. Rex is a bad HC but its much deeper. Woody is the problem and he will be around for a long time. He's all about the splash and loves the circus that Rex brings.
    Woody is an A$$, but he didn't make those decisions today.

And I'm not a Rex hater...I think he brings good and bad, but for the most part, I've been for giving some more time. But punting in those situations is just inexcusable. It's giving up, and is a disrespect to the fans and the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    Felt the same way. The funniest part is that they went for it on 4th down deep in our territory earlier in the same drive.

So you are telling me that less then 2 minutes ago, you felt that this drive was so important we must go for it on 4th down to try to score but now, with less time on the clock and closer to the endzone, we must punt the ball? Obviously 4th and 1 is different than 4th and 5 but it doesn't matter. You either have to score quickly or you don't.

This sort of logic is what shows the coaching staff have no idea about what they are doing.
    yep...makes no sense whatsoever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    bump...

still curious to know whether this was mentioned in the presser.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    bump...

still curious to know whether this was mentioned in the presser.
    It's amazing how many things never changed since from when Herman Edwards took over. Punting at or around midfield when you're down by enough to where you can no longer afford to give away a possession as well as precious game clock to get the ball back. Not being able to get offensive plays off before the playclock hits 1, allowing the defensive line to time the snap and tee off, blowing timeouts with 10 minutes left in a quarter to make it that much difficult should the Jets be trying to score at the end of the half or game, on and on and on....