Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Same Coach Different Personality

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Same Coach Different Personality

Something I realized today:

As I watching us get our heads beat in I kept thinking that the Jet just have the same issues year after year after year despite changes in coaching and players.

Then it hit me that it is entirely predictable because the last 3 coaches the Jets have hired are pretty much the EXACT same coach:

Defensive coaches that are ultra conservative on offense, struggle to make in game adjustments and are very poor at game management

The only difference is personality. We started with the affable players coach Herm, moved to the nerdy detail aloof guy in Mangini and then moved to the brash outspoken Rex.

But at their core they are exactly the same. Woody has essentially fired and then hired the exact same coach each time. So we repeat the same mistakes and philosophical mistakes over and over and over.

The only way to stop the merry go round is to hire a different type of coach: a modern one that will bring some offense to the Jets and some in game skills.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

As I watching us get our heads beat in I kept thinking that the Jet just have the same issues year after year after year despite changes in coaching and players.

Then it hit me that it is entirely predictable because the last 3 coaches the Jets have hired are pretty much the EXACT same coach:

Defensive coaches that are ultra conservative on offense, struggle to make in game adjustments and are very poor at game management

The only difference is personality. We started with the affable players coach Herm, moved to the nerdy detail aloof guy in Mangini and then moved to the brash outspoken Rex.

But at their core they are exactly the same. Woody has essentially fired and then hired the exact same coach each time. So we repeat the same mistakes and philosophical mistakes over and over and over.

The only way to stop the merry go round is to hire a different type of coach: a modern one that will bring some offense to the Jets and some in game skills.
    I'm surprised no one has responded to this yet. This is a very solid post.
    Why is it that we keep hiring coaches with the same philosophy, despite different personalities? Why is it that the last 5 Jets head coaches have all been defensive minded?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Great summary.

Cloning Bill Parcells without Dan Henning, not happening.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Great summary.

Cloning Bill Parcells without Dan Henning, not happening.

SAR I
    Wait! So you're saying Dan Hennig(Henning?) made Bill Parcells and not the other way around? HOLY TUNA-FISH, BATMAN!