Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The 2 Point Conversion Attempt Absolutely Did Not Make Sense

  1. #1

    The 2 Point Conversion Attempt Absolutely Did Not Make Sense

    With 7:23 left in the game, the Jets scored a touchdown to make the score 27-9 Miami. For some inexplicable reason, the Jets decided to go for a 2 point conversion. If they go for the standard extra point, they are down 2 touchdowns and field goal to at least have a shot, while a long one, at tying the game. To attempt a two point conversion at that point logically and mathematically ABSOLUTELY DID NOT MAKE SENSE. If you make the 2 point conversion, you are down by 16 points in the game. You would need to score 2 touchdowns and kick a field goal to win the game. But if you DO NOT make the conversion (as the Jets ultimately did not), you are left with the score they were left with, 27-9, where you have to score THREE touchdowns to win. So, in a way, you are putting the game on the line right there. The risk/reward logic does not add up. With this game having been an important division game, it's inexcusable to have this kind of mental gaffe. You're down in the game, but you still have to play it right mentally and logically, because you never know what could happen (if you keep trying your best, stay mentally focused, and keep competing until the end, that is).

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,653
    we barely scored 1 td.. i highly doubt we were gonna score 2 tds and a fg in 7 minutes .. the game was over in the 1st qt..

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,474
    It made sense because it would have put the Jets in a position to make it a two score game instead of three.

    And even with the miss, they didn't necessarily need 3 TD's as you say. They still had 2-point conversion opportunities.

    So it wasn't a bad decision.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Esiason2Moore TD View Post
    With 7:23 left in the game, the Jets scored a touchdown to make the score 27-9 Miami. For some inexplicable reason, the Jets decided to go for a 2 point conversion. If they go for the standard extra point, they are down 2 touchdowns and field goal to at least have a shot, while a long one, at tying the game. To attempt a two point conversion at that point logically and mathematically ABSOLUTELY DID NOT MAKE SENSE. If you make the 2 point conversion, you are down by 16 points in the game. You would need to score 2 touchdowns and kick a field goal to win the game. But if you DO NOT make the conversion (as the Jets ultimately did not), you are left with the score they were left with, 27-9, where you have to score THREE touchdowns to win. So, in a way, you are putting the game on the line right there. The risk/reward logic does not add up. With this game having been an important division game, it's inexcusable to have this kind of mental gaffe. You're down in the game, but you still have to play it right mentally and logically, because you never know what could happen (if you keep trying your best, stay mentally focused, and keep competing until the end, that is).
    They were trying to make it a 2 score game instead of 3. 2 TDs and 2 2 point conversions because we obviously didn't have time to score 3 more times. If we missed it it was still a 3 score game. I think it was the right move. Unfortunately we suck way too bad for 3 2 point conversions in a row.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    4,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Esiason2Moore TD View Post
    With 7:23 left in the game, the Jets scored a touchdown to make the score 27-9 Miami. For some inexplicable reason, the Jets decided to go for a 2 point conversion. If they go for the standard extra point, they are down 2 touchdowns and field goal to at least have a shot, while a long one, at tying the game. To attempt a two point conversion at that point logically and mathematically ABSOLUTELY DID NOT MAKE SENSE. If you make the 2 point conversion, you are down by 16 points in the game. You would need to score 2 touchdowns and kick a field goal to win the game. But if you DO NOT make the conversion (as the Jets ultimately did not), you are left with the score they were left with, 27-9, where you have to score THREE touchdowns to win. So, in a way, you are putting the game on the line right there. The risk/reward logic does not add up. With this game having been an important division game, it's inexcusable to have this kind of mental gaffe. You're down in the game, but you still have to play it right mentally and logically, because you never know what could happen (if you keep trying your best, stay mentally focused, and keep competing until the end, that is).
    Rex was probably thinking they'd only get two more chances with the ball and wanted to have the opportunity to tie the game by scoring TDs on those possessions (w/two point conversions).

  6. #6

    Cool

    Going for it made plenty sense... You get the 2pt there...

    You only need 2 td's and 2pt conversions ... Too tie the Game..

    Instead of needing 3 scores....

  7. #7
    I have watched a lot of football over my years, and I have seen teams score two touchdowns and a field goal with that amount of time. On side kicks, turnovers, it has happened. I do not remember seeing many teams score 3 touchdowns and have three 2 point conversions consecuitively (it too can happen, yes, it's possible, just don't remember seeing it). The clock management of the team was also horrible later in the game, no sense of urgency.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    3,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Esiason2Moore TD View Post
    I have watched a lot of football over my years, and I have seen teams score two touchdowns and a field goal with that amount of time.
    Yeah, but have you ever seen the Jets do it and/or do you think THESE Jets could do it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    They were trying to make it a 2 score game instead of 3. 2 TDs and 2 2 point conversions because we obviously didn't have time to score 3 more times. If we missed it it was still a 3 score game. I think it was the right move. Unfortunately we suck way too bad for 3 2 point conversions in a row.
    Yeah, that too.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Yeah, but have you ever seen the Jets do it and/or do you think THESE Jets could do it.
    good point

  11. #11
    A 24 point game is a 3 score game. You just have to make 3 2-point conversions in a row. Unfortunately, we couldn't even make the first, let alone score two more touchdowns.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,776
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    A 24 point game is a 3 score game. You just have to make 3 2-point conversions in a row..
    +1

    8 goes into 24 3 times......every coach goes for 2 there......mathematically makes sense

  13. #13
    The Jets were down by 24. They needed three TD's and three two point conversions to tie the game. Did you honestly think they could score 17 points in 7:24? I didn't. Smart move. Probably the smartest move of the day.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us